Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Pulling your weapon in defense of strangers?

Of course, each situation is different.

As a very general rule of thumb, I stay out of other people's business.

Wolves travel in packs, and sometimes they use tricks and skits to draw in prey.

Domestic disputes can be very volatile and unpredictable, and it is in my own best interest to stay out of other people's business in that respect.

At most, I might dial the nine one one from a safe distance if I saw what I thought to be a fight/struggle/encounter happening.

Others might differ here, but there is just so much potential for a ton of sh*t to go sideways when one 'plays' superhero these days. There's enough legitimate concern and risk that involves myself using deadly force to protect myself or loved ones for me to just focus on that aspect of my decision to go armed.

(Philadelphia County)

Why are so many of these threads about when you can pull your weapon? So many trigger happy people dwell on these forums.

Your weapon is your LAST resort. I'm not talking duty to retreat/castle doctrine, if you're in a situation where you can escape, do it. You have NO duty to act. My well being is always #1 in any situation I'm in, anyone else comes 2nd. If you have loved ones with you, grab them and go. It's not rocket science.

As someone else mentioned, if you walked onto a scene with a MWAG and a man on the ground, you have no idea what just occurred. That man could've acted in SD, or it could be as it looks. Call the cops and get out. End of story.

As an example, I was on my way home from work late night. On my way, I noticed a man behind me and he stayed on me for a few blocks. I crossed the street and kept an eye on him. A block later, he switches sides. My immediate thought was to get somewhere public or to try to break line of sight. I knew there was a gas station around the corner, so I switched sides again and walked into the lot and sure enough, the guy unlocks a door and walks in a house.

Turned out to be a non-event that I escalated in my mind. I didn't turn and draw on him for "following" me, I kept my course and eye contact and got to a place where I could avoid confrontation. You draw when there is an IMMEDIATE threat to your life/well being.

You have no obligation to help a stranger and I'd be willing to bet if you flipped the situation, most strangers wouldn't help you. If you don't believe me, watch this video. Also, another situation where if you drew, you'd be up Shit Creek.
    Last edited by SAB215; October 17th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(Montgomery County)

[Now another question though if I yell but it's too late and he shoots the person anyway am I then obligated to try and stop him if he turns and runs? Or just stay put and wait for the "professionals" to arrive and give them some input as to what happened?

That worries me as well can they slap me with a bs charge because I was armed and did nothing?

First thing is DO NOT chase him. You are not an LEO and it opens all sorts of a mess. Secondly, investigators are going to want good details, if you saw the whole thing you are a great asset, you might not prevent the shooting, but maybe you can help lock up the shooter. Finally, I am not sure your reasoning for carrying, but on my LTCF I have listed self defense. I carry to protect me and mine, pulling a weapon and maybe starting a shoot out, maybe get shot yourself, or hit some bystanders compounds the situation.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Do what police tries to encourage you to do - dial 911. THAT'S IT..........
    (snip)

...................Does it (sound ) worth it?

So, really, if it's not your own (or your loved one's) life or health at stake - fuck it.
    This is REALLY good advice, IMHO...repped. To the OP....Keep in mind that carrying a firearm doesn't make you a hero...don't try to be one. If you must try...go into the military or law enforcement. The laws can be very complex.

(Delaware County)

Like others have said, if I have to think about it the answer is no. I have just a snapshot of time in two strangers lives, and my life is not being threatened, who am I to be judge and jury on a case I have no information on and does not involve me at all? If something is so imminent and severe that you really need to intervene, most likely it's going to be pretty instinctual from there.
    Freedom, Reason, Peace

You have all made great points and I appreciate all the insight. I am by no means a trigger happy gun nut "hero" type at all. I am a brand new gun owner (about 4 months now) and only have considered carrying over the last two weeks since the birth of my daughter.

Truth is, I never considered needed a weapon for self defense before my daughter came along so this is all new to me. And I'm a very inquisitive person so I ask lots of questions.

Also, the idea of just going on about my business bothers me though more so than taking a bullet. I understand looking out for "#1" and my loved ones... But why does a stranger deserve to be hurt just because they weren't born into my family or met me earlier in life to build a friendship with me?

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder so to speak.

(Venango County)

There are a lot of cases in domestics where the woman will turn on her savior for shooting and possibly killing her meal ticket so to speak. Then her story may differ slightly from what you think or thought it was etc. You will be in a world of hurt.

It is important to be sure you have all of the facts. During a situation, be a fluid thinker and if anything transpires to change your mind, constantly evaluate and rethink your decision to engage or how to engage.

I once read a long time ago, people don't respond to shouts about violence such as rape or assault/murder. But yelling 'Fire' can get more of a reaction as people have a) self interest not to burn or lose their property and b) are curious to see a fire that is nearby as it is less threatening. Even in the case of the officer about to be assaulted, the word 'Fire' could get everyone's attention including the criminal without necessarily identifying you as a threat to the criminal. It may put him off the attack or imbalance his thought pattern and behavior.

There are always many ways to handle a situation (or not) and as has been said before: Although the law allows leeway in 'the facts as they are known/believed at the time' there are also civil consequences beyond criminality.

Even defending yourself can be problematic no matter what self-defense rights and statutes are on the books. Just ask George Zimmerman.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike231 View Post
    If I were you I would worry about learning the laws of defending yourself from an attacker. I see you live in Bristol so there is a good chance you may have to defend yourself considering it's getting just as bad as the inner city of Philly here.
    Actually the innercity is safer than most of the edges.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

nope, not going to happen.

My personal mind set is Run-Hide-Fight, except for a family member or close personal friend. I will retreat. Unfortunately, I will not interject myself into a position where I am acting as a quasi LEO to safeguard strangers. Too many variables to consider. I will, however, be the best possible 911 witness I can. This is just my position and others can do as they wish. Its a free country. Stay safe.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast