Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facepalm Logic

(Lancaster County)

Default Facepalm Logic

At one of the malls near where I live there is a Bass Pro Shop. The mall is a real cesspool so I never go in the mall, however, I find myself at Bass Pro every once in a while. The first time I entered the store I noticed a sign on the door that said "check all firearms at customer service." Curious I went to the desk to ask. The elderly gentleman at the counter asked if I had my LTCF to which I replied, "yes." He then said, then we kindly ask that you keep it concealed while in the store. I said, "ok" and have been shopping there CC for months now.

This past weekend my wife and I wanted to see "Atlas Shrugged" and the theater at this same mall was one of the closest theaters that was showing the movie. Since I had CC at Bass Pro at this same mall (the store is actually attached to the mall...as in you can enter the mall from Bass Pro) I went CC to the theater. There was no way in hell I would enter this particular mall unarmed. Anyway, we were entering the mall through an entrance that was not a Bass Pro Shop entrance and was the first time I had ever done so. Going up to the door my wife actually said to me, "you do have your gun, right?" (she knows that I don't leave home without it so it was just reassurance on her part) I nodded yes. On the door I did notice a sign (code of conduct) that said "no weapons."

At this point I had to make a decision. Not go to the movie, leave the gun in the car, or trespass. I made the best decision that I could at the time.

Anyway, we get to the theater and they have their own "code of conduct" at the entrance and it in no way prohibited firearms.

But here is the freaking facepalm. How can they prohibit "weapons" (i.e. firearms) in a mall with a store that SELLS FIREARMS AND KNIVES?!?! By the way, there is no signage walking from Bass Pro Shop into the rest of the mall.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Facepalm Logic

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    But here is the freaking facepalm. How can they prohibit "weapons" (i.e. firearms) in a mall with a store that SELLS FIREARMS AND KNIVES?!?! By the way, there is no signage walking from Bass Pro Shop into the rest of the mall.
    The problem is that you are attempting to apply logic to a brainless corporation. The company that manages or owns that mall put that sign up because that's the sign they put up at all their malls.

You need to understand that every corporation has the same number of brain-cells to share among the entire organization. So if you double the size of the company, the individuals' IQ goes down by half.

You figure it out.

Yeah that kinda made my head hurt. How was the movie

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Yeah that kinda made my head hurt. How was the movie
    I really liked the movie. It is about time somebody made a movie for the right wingers. I can't stand this Hollywood crap anymore.

(Montgomery County)

IMO, malls put up those signs because it gives them a modicum of protection from liability if bad things should happen (i.e. their lawyers told 'em they should), not because they really care whether you're carrying concealed.

(Venango County)

I'll take a shot at it.

The mall is technically the connective tissue for the stores. Some are strip malls (outside) and some are nice indoor malls. Technically speaking, the rules can be separate for the stores versus the mall. So you can not buy a gun at Bass Pro Shops and then enter the mall. But you could exit via Bass Pro's outside doors to the parking lot.

This is similar to common areas at a rental property. Depending on lease terms, you can have firearms in your 'home' but they might forbid the common areas such as the pool, laundry, work-out room, party room, common kitchen etc. The only exception would be going straight to your car (parking lot) from your unit and vice versa.

IANAL but this is my best guess. I suppose you could hit all the anchor stores or ones with outside doors by driving around the mall (or walking depending on the circumference).
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(York County)

It's pointless to try and assign logic to any of these idiotic signs. They are put in place by mealy-mouthed do-gooders to satisfy their pathetic egos and prodigious lawyers. To take the stupidity one step farther, try this on for size: It wasn't that long ago that Bass Pro refused to sell handguns with less than a three inch barrel! Company policy, according to the salespeople I spoke with. Apparently, that policy has changed from what I've seen. Simply ridiculous.

(Dauphin County)

I follow the NRA interpretation, I do not carry a WEAPON, I carry a self defense firearm. It only becomes a weapon if (in a non-self defense situation) I intend to harm someone with it.

I know the mall you are talking about, I never go there unless I'm carrying at least 2 firearms. And from what I understand by talking to the gun counter guys at Bass Pro, that "check firearms" sign is there for people carrying in rifles or pistols for service/trade.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Automan21k View Post
    I follow the NRA interpretation, I do not carry a WEAPON, I carry a self defense firearm. It only becomes a weapon if (in a non-self defense situation) I intend to harm someone with it.

I know the mall you are talking about, I never go there unless I'm carrying at least 2 firearms. And from what I understand by talking to the gun counter guys at Bass Pro, that "check firearms" sign is there for people carrying in rifles or pistols for service/trade.
    This is also the interpretation I use.

(Lancaster County)

I went to that movie theater twice, both times at night, that was years ago. I will not go back. Odd people at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast