Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Dryfire exercises.. target Scale

I have been trying to help my target accuracy using dryfire, my problem is getting the sight picture correct. I have reduced the 25yard target down to several different sizes but cannot seem to get the exact scale for my dryfire distance of 12feet...

I know there has to be a calculation that gives me the scale I need to simulate the target sight picture for 25yards when at 12feet.

Can someone explain the math or scale that I will need to get the same relevant scale?

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Dryfire exercises.. target Scale

Simple proportion:

Y = diameter of 25 yard black aiming circle (you must use the dimension in inches, but you have to measure it yourself since I have none on hand)
    X = unknown diameter for 12 feet

Y/75 = X/12

cross multiply and 75X = 12Y

divide both sides by 75 and X = 12Y/75

So just as an example, if the aiming area is 3" in diameter, the final equation
    would be X = 12(3)/75 = 0.48" so a 1/2" diameter circle would do fine.

But there is another way. Tape a blank piece of paper to the wall at about shoulder high. Draw a small dot on it (say 1/8" dia). Then take a sharpened pencil with a nice rubber eraser on it and wrap some tape at the 1/3 points. Use just enough tape to fill the bore diameter of your pistol but still allow free movement of the pencil in the bore. Drop the pencil into the bore, activate the firing mechanism (cock the hammer or whatever) and present your pistol as if to fire at the target on the paper. Make sure you're standing close enough so the firing pin striking the pencil propels it forward to mark the paper, but without completely leaving the the barrel. Repeat as you wish. You should find a collection of pencil dots below the aiming point and as you practice and gain proper trigger control, sight alignment and sight picture, the collection of dots should grow smaller.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Thanks, I will try the pencil approach with my 9mm... nice idea...

(Susquehanna County)

You're welcome. Just keep in mind practice makes perfecr, but, only if it's perfect practice.

I use full size and 1/3 USPSA targets at home. I thought about picking up one of these sets. I am working on draw and transitions more than absolute accuracy.

http://c-mtargets.com/

Tantric Shooting Team

(Northampton County)

When you look at the real bull at the correct distance, does it appear about the same width as your front sight? (probably) create a dry fire bull to give that same appearance. Fine tune your guess by moving a few feet forward or back. Two tips to try. 1. use a tiny dot about 2 feet in front of the gun so it is more nearly in focus. 2. buy a cheap (14-20 dollar) laser and mount it on your gun. Do not sight it in. just use it practice steady hold drills and smooth trigger release drills. Aim it high and look over the sights.
    Teaching people how to shoot safely and accurately for 54 years. www.gunskills.com

(Susquehanna County)

I disagree slightly with Glockman. You see his methods takes your focus off the front sight and places it on the target. So you have to decide the reason for your practice. Precision shooting for Bullseye or ISSF competition or "combat" or "self-defense" shooting?

For the purpose of marksmanship your eyes should be focused on the front sight.