Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Keep ammo loaded in AR mags or in boxes in safe?

Quote Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
    When I served in army back in 91-93 we were told that spring is getting weak after being compressed for a long period of time. I don't know if springs are different now but I still play it safe and rotate loaded mags once a week.
    Maybe if they are over-compressed, but a spring only wears out from being worked back and forth.

To demonstrate - take a metal paper clip and unfold one of the bends. The metal will have the same springiness to it unfolded as it did folded. Now, bend the metal back and forth. It will get warm at the bend and eventually break. Before it breaks then resistance to bending will be much less.

The military has a bunch of old wive's tale policies and beliefs that have gotten passed down from isolated incidences. The only one that I can remember that holds true is when keeping a fulling loaded M16/M4 magazines in the gun. There usually isn't enough play left in the magazine for the 30th round to sit up against a closed bolt - it over compresses the spring, which can wear it out. Thus why some branches or drill instructors teach you to old load 29rds into the mag with a closed bolt or to have the bolt locked open when carrying a fully loaded magazine in the gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Wayne County)

I keep mine loaded. Cycle your defensive ammo every now and again.

Also it's a good idea to hang onto your boxes in case of a catastrophic incident (kaboom). The lot number and other identifying marks will be your only recourse.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; October 16th, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

(Allegheny County)

I keep enough magazines loaded and handy with the weapon for break-ins, SHTF, assorted emergencies. Others are not loaded but can be when needed.

As for the military, I was told that WD40 was good for cleaning, lube, and protection for any firearm. But we had buckets of WD40 and not much else.....
    I don't use WD40 for firearms now.

As for me, I keep mines loaded at all times. I also go to the range at least twice a month.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHTF View Post
    When I served in army back in 91-93 we were told that spring is getting weak after being compressed for a long period of time . . . I still play it safe and rotate loaded mags once a week.
    Knight0334 covered it above. Static loading does NOT wear out or break a spring. Cyclic loading and unloading does -- like Knight0334's paper clip example.

Another example: Did your Drill Sgt or Plt Sgt or whomever told your to not keep mags loaded also tell you to jack your vehicle up when finished driving to unload the vehicle springs? Same holds true for mag springs as vehicle springs. Vehicle springs spend YEARS statically loaded while parked; most vehicles are static more than dynamic (being driven). Taxis and police vehicles may be the exceptions.

Load your mags and store them, and stop the weekly rotation foolishness. You are actually contributing to eventual spring failure (even though minutely) by rotating them.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Erie County)

Much easier to throw a loaded mag, and will impart more impulse upon contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Bucks County)

AFAIC, if I haven't used a magazine it isn't functional. And there's no point to having 30 loaded mags. So I'd keep 2 or 3 or whatever loaded, use them the next time at the range, and then rotate in X different ones.

(Lackawanna County)

We've been told that if you leave magazine loaded for a long time it may result in failure to load due to weakening of the spring. Affects handguns more than rifles. Also were told not to slam mag while inserting it into handgun. May result in second cartridge explosion. Go figure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12