Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Backyard Shooting?

Not sure if this is a stupid question, so I might as well confirm.
    I'm moving into Montgomery Cty. in a few weeks, to a wooded 3 acre lot that is zoned for animals. The current owners have chickens and are leaving the coop for us. The wife and I are looking forward to being "ranchers"! The guy told me that he has recurring predator problems, and therein lies my question.....

Can I shoot predators attacking my flock? Do I need a special permit or equipment? I have heard that it is near to impossible to get a silencer in Montco, but perhaps it is easier where livestock protection is involved.
    Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Backyard Shooting?

You gotta be kidding! Try a slingshot. It MIGHT be legal.

(Chester County)

No idea on whether you can shoot in your yard or not. But if CLEO sign off is an issue in Montomery County, set up an NFA trust. Simple, relatively low cost, and eliminates the need for fingerprints and CLEO signature. Prince Law helped with mine. He's on here somewhere and may chime in.

(Venango County)

I haven't looked in ages but IIRC, you are to be a 'farmer' (however that is legally defined) with at least 50 contiguous acres to kill deer etc. for killing/eating your crops and/or animals. This is without a hunting license etc. to allow farmers to protect their investment without running afoul of game laws or safety issues. On my property, there is a way to design a kill zone without danger to neighbors. I do not farm however and fall just short of the 50 acres by one tenth. Therefore, I must go about the issue during hunting season and by allowing hunting on my property (as long as I desire to).

It is best of course to do your own research or ask an attorney. IANAL.

What is around your 3 acres? Do you have empty land or a good backstop etc.? There are also township rules to consider regarding the use of firearms. It seems a lot of places try to limit people regarding farming/raising farm animals. For example, I am not to have non-domesticated animals but am allowed six horses. So no chickens for me. Of course, if the economy goes really south...
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

OK, lot probably too small, not raising chickens commercially......not really going to be possible.
    Guess I'll have to find a big, scary, non-chicken-eating dog.
    Thanks for the info.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    You gotta be kidding! Try a slingshot. It MIGHT be legal.
    that was helpful. why the smart ass answer? did someone pee in your cherrios?

(Jefferson County)

You'll first have to abide by municipal firearm/weapon discharge laws and PA Game Laws.

If your municipality prohibits discharging for such reasons - well, you're screwed.

For the game laws - you pretty much have to catch the predators in the act.

If the predator is something protected by federal law, well you're pretty much screwed there too. Absolutely no killing of bald eagles, ...not sure about golden eagles.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I haven't looked in ages but IIRC, you are to be a 'farmer' (however that is legally defined) with at least 50 contiguous acres to kill deer etc. for killing/eating your crops and/or animals. This is without a hunting license etc. to allow farmers to protect their investment without running afoul of game laws or safety issues. On my property, there is a way to design a kill zone without danger to neighbors. I do not farm however and fall just short of the 50 acres by one tenth. Therefore, I must go about the issue during hunting season and by allowing hunting on my property (as long as I desire to).

It is best of course to do your own research or ask an attorney. IANAL.

What is around your 3 acres? Do you have empty land or a good backstop etc.? There are also township rules to consider regarding the use of firearms. It seems a lot of places try to limit people regarding farming/raising farm animals. For example, I am not to have non-domesticated animals but am allowed six horses. So no chickens for me. Of course, if the economy goes really south...
    Ok 49.9 acres is too small a lot for chickens. I'll bite how many acres do you need where you live in order to have chickens?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    that was helpful. why the smart ass answer? did someone pee in your cherrios?
    I couldn't tell.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Ok 49.9 acres is too small a lot for chickens. I'll bite how many acres do you need where you live in order to have chickens?
    It's just the way it is zoned. I bought three lots. The lots are a part of a farm that was subdivided. Township apparently wants residents that pay a lot of taxes and not so much the raising of farm animals. I'm ok with this unless the economy sinks. Then I will do what I have to in order to survive. I will even try growing crops for food to eat if I have to (14 acres are open land).

You're right, it does not require much land for a few chickens and a small / tiny coup though you should move it around periodically.

The short answer is that I am allowed dogs/cats and two horses per lot (6 total then). I am not allowed to raise pigs or chickens, goats, sheep etc.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast