Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Hunting -Rifled shotgun barrel vs bolt action rifle?

Im finally deciding to start hunting. Ive always loved guns but mainly had pistols and shotguns, a few semi autos here and there.

My most used gun is probably my 870 and 1100 as I LOVE shooting clays. But im gonna make the plunge and go hunting with a few friends this season so I need to make a decision.

Since I already own a 870 I know one option is for around 250-280 I can get a rifled barrel with sight that I know a lot of people use. Also everyone one loves slugs right .

My other option is a starter rifle probably a 30-06 or .308. Something probably the 300-500 dollar range with scope.

So what do you think I should do?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Hunting -Rifled shotgun barrel vs bolt action rifle?

Depends where you will hunt. Some ares are shotgun only. If your hunting ridges and wide open landscape where long shots are the norm, or thick cover one gun will be better than the other. Ideally both.
    Last edited by keystoneman 85; October 14th, 2012 at 06:51 AM.

(Pike County)

Im in the northeast around the poconos. Areas would be mostly wooded and brush.

(Lawrence County)

The rifle will give you options to shoot longer later on. It will also have less recoil and be easier to modify to your taste.

Lycangoriflethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

i would go with a rifle because of greater accuracy and distance. you can buy a used 30.06 or 308 for around 350-400 so why spend 250+ on a rifled slug barrel??

(Chester County)

A good slug barrel with good ammo will reach out to 150 yards. Are you skilled enough to make a shot further than that? It's nice to think you can shoot 300 yards but is that realistic? Also I can guarantee that if you hit a deer in the kill zone with a good quality sabot you want have to track far.

A good rifle is good to have as well. I can't suggest any thing less than .30 cal. .308,30-06, 30-30 are all deer hunting staples. A good lever gun can shoot out to 150 yards easy a good bolt gun should be capable of more.

I will say that good quality sabot slugs are expensive compared to rifle rounds, the ones I shoot are like $16 for 5.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i would go with a rifle because of greater accuracy and distance. you can buy a used 30.06 or 308 for around 350-400 so why spend 250+ on a rifled slug barrel??
    Plus you get to buy another gun Rem. 760 pump is a nice gun since you're used to pumps.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    I can't suggest any thing less than .30 cal. .308,30-06, 30-30 are all deer hunting staples. A good lever gun can shoot out to 150 yards easy a good bolt gun should be capable of more.

I will say that good quality sabot slugs are expensive compared to rifle rounds, the ones I shoot are like $16 for 5.
    Any cartridge from the 243 Win on up will work fine for deer hunting. 223, 22-250 etc will also work (use premium bullets like a Barnes TSX) but are not ideal.

Something like a 243 (and others) would also work well if you wanted to try hunting coyotes or groundhogs.

Nothing wrong with slugs for hunting (except cost of sabot rounds) but...

Dale

break out of your current mold and get the rifle. 36 06 is a great cartridge. can kill just about anything
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Erie County)

Its always comforting to have a back-up gun. You can get a a more than adaquate rifle scope package or around $300. Savage Axis or 200 are a great buy unless you want frills. I have a Stevens 200 in .308. It's lite, accurate and the trigger isn't bad and can be made even better if you're inclined. It is available in several calibers so you can expand your hunting capabilities. I also saw a Marlin combo at Gander Mountain or Dicks in Sundays paper for $299. It does sound like the 870 will work in your conditions and you are familiar with it. It is a choice you alone can make, I always opt or another gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast