Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Got my hunting license, without taking the safety class...

I'm looking for thoughts on what I should do now. I read that the safety class is required before you get your license. I went into WalMart and walked out with the license.

When I got home, I read the side that says "Applican's signature certified that (1) he or she has held a prior hunting license or completed a Hunter-Trapper Education Course"

I'd hate to be "caught" and booked for forgery, falsifying a state document, or something else... So what should I do?
    Simon

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Got my hunting license, without taking the safety class...

It should go without saying... the person who completed my application only asked for my ID... I didn't know I would walk away with an actual license that day either.

Also - I've completed several handgun courses at HH&A... So handling firearms isn't something I'm exactly new to, but hunting IS...

Just looking for suggestions.
    Simon

(Dauphin County)

My honest opinion is...
    Think you should find a gun club that offer the Hunter-Trapper Education Course before going out, it's totally different than the handgun courses, alot more to games laws and so forth...
    Last edited by ssom003; November 18th, 2007 at 01:32 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I agree.
    It's your responsibility to learn/know/adhere to the rules/law.

You may find that there are thing you did not know, or that some rules/regulations have changed.

Take the class, you'll be better for it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

I agree as well, it doesnt hurt to take the Class, Better to safe then sorry!

(Fayette County)

I really doubt you will find a class before the first day. Make sure you read the manual cover to cover and try to get in a class when you can. I never understood why juniors are required to show the card to get a license, but once they are old enough for an adult license it is no longer required. In my opinion I think it should be required and I would like to see the archery course become required before you can purchase an archery stamp, but I am a stickler for ethics and game laws.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the replies guys... My plan was, of course, to go and take the class and test. I just didn't know if I had to tell someone that I didn't have the test first... When I read the GC website, I thought it WAS required to show the card to get your license.

I heard they just had a huge class (100+ kids) who had a class in the next town over at the archery/gun store. From the looks of the website, there isn't another class (at least one listed on the website) until 2008. Maybe I'll have to call the local gun clubs to see if they have something available prior.

With that said... If I did go out, it would be with experienced family members who've hunted their entire lives. In fact, I don't even have a huning gun at this point - so I'm open to suggestions if someone has them on that too!
    Simon

(Delaware County)

I agree with the other guys. Read your manual from front to back and get into a class. I took mine many moons ago and actually enjoyed it.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Lancaster County)

You should definetly take the class...

I wish they offered adult only classes though - When I took the class 4 years ago I was the only adult in a class full of like 12 year olds and their dads.

At some point I had a question or wanted to answer the instructors question (don't remember which) but when I raised my hand I was told that "Dad's should let the kids particpate".....

So yeah.. you feel really out of place... But overall it was worth it...

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
    With that said... If I did go out, it would be with experienced family members who've hunted their entire lives. In fact, I don't even have a huning gun at this point - so I'm open to suggestions if someone has them on that too!
    The fact that you have a hunting license makes you legal. A PGC official won't ask for your hunters safety course card. They assume that since you have a license, you took the course. I wouldn't worry about it. Now that you have a license you should be able to present that the to the issuing person and get a license next time.

Most places think that after you're 18 you don't need to have a safety course. I was at Gander Mtn and a guy straight out told the lady at the counter he never completed a hunter safety course. She told him it didn't matter and issued the license.

12 year old kids take this class... I wouldn't be too awfully worried about not having it done. Just read the hunting annual and use common sense.

As far as the rifle goes.. I'm partial to lever-action guns. So I'd say go get yourself a Marlin 336 in .30-30. Cheap but great gun, cheap (relatively) ammo. Can't go wrong for first timers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast