Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default IDPA... How to get started?

Hi all. I've become quite interested in IDPA recently, and really want to try it out. But I don't really know where to start. How much does it cost to enter a match? How much ammunition should I bring? How many mags do I need to have? How do I register? Etc.

I am not looking to go in and work hard to win... I am really just doing this to have some fun, and to test my capabilities with my carry weapon. I want to run my 1911, because it is my EDC weapon, and a lot of fun to shoot. I have already weighed it and it is within the legal weight.

So school me. What can I expect? I want to compete in the CDP division, because of the disadvantage I would be at if I tried running a 1911 in ESP. Where in the area can I find matches? I'm willing to travel up to an hour at the most. I'm pretty tight on money, so cost is an issue too... How much will this eat my wallet?

Any info would be appreciated!
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: IDPA... How to get started?

Go to IDPA .com and find a club in your area....contact the match director tell them that you'd like to get into IDPA....most will go out of their way to help.

You'll need a holster suitable for concealed carry and a belt carrier for magazines.....you're allowed to carry two mags on your belt...and have one in the gun, so three minimum. If you have an old junker mag bring it as well...you can use it to load a single round on the "load" command, then eject it and insert your good mag. The clubs where I shoot charge from $10-$15 for your first entry and then half as much for all reshoots. 100 rounds should be more than enough for each entry....50 is about the usual but it varys, since each match director designs the courses of fire for is matches.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Philadelphia County)

You can start off by visiting www.nepaidpascores.net and looking over the site for matches in your area. You will find a lot of useful information there if you are just starting out. That's where all the scores get posted for matches around the area as well, so I'd bookmark the site.

As far as what you will need, since you are shooting a 1911, I would suggest a minimum of 5 magazines that hold 8 rounds. The more you have, the better it will be for you since you will less likely need to reload mags between stages (That SUCKS). You will also need a good holster. I recommend finding a good kydex OWB without any type of active retention devices like a SERPA or thumbbreak. You will also need 2 magazine carriers. Again, I recommend kydex over leather for sport shooting. AN last of all, you will need a cover garment which I am sure you already own since it can be just about anything that covers the gun and mags from view.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube to watch if you want to see what stages look like. Bit of advice though, having watched a bunch of them, don't take everyone's advice as being expert advice.

The principle behind IDPA is that it allows just about anyone to compete with minimal equipment unlike USPSA where it can get into an equipment battle. They are different sports, so different rules for each.

Best thing to do is go out to a match with all your stuff and sign up. You will likely get a new shooter brief that explains the safety rules of the range and the sport. Let the Safety know that it is your first match and they should walk you through everything as far as the use of cover and what targets to shoot if they are friendly.

It is a very fun sport and there is always such nice people at the matches that I have gone to, it gets to be addicting.

Have fun and shoot safe!

(Pike County)

I agree with most of this advice, but not all of it. I would suggest you just go shoot a match. Believe me when I tell you this - you are not the first new shooter to show up, and the clubs in our area are very welcoming and helpful. Don't buy anything unless you do not own a safe holster, and maybe (just maybe) make sure you have three mags. Don't spend a nickel on anything else right now - you may get bit by the bug and you'll regret every uninformed purchase. Trust me on that one ;->

If you are reloading during stages from your back pocket, don't sweat it. If you have to reload mags between stages, no big deal. If you run out of mags on a stage, you'll get them next time - if you have enough mags (3) to carry 18 rounds this won't happen unless you goof up somewhere. If not, don't worry about it. Give it a try, it is a lot of fun and very informative - you get immediate feedback on your gunhandling skills.

Once you've "been there and done that" you will have a much better idea what you need and, perhaps more importantly, what you want.

If you can't stand the idea of not "looking the part" at your first match then by all means go buy some stuff, but my advice is to just give it a try first.

Quote Originally Posted by .45Kimber1911 View Post
    You can start off by visiting www.nepaidpascores.net and looking over the site for matches in your area. You will find a lot of useful information there if you are just starting out. That's where all the scores get posted for matches around the area as well, so I'd bookmark the site.

As far as what you will need, since you are shooting a 1911, I would suggest a minimum of 5 magazines that hold 8 rounds. The more you have, the better it will be for you since you will less likely need to reload mags between stages (That SUCKS). You will also need a good holster. I recommend finding a good kydex OWB without any type of active retention devices like a SERPA or thumbbreak. You will also need 2 magazine carriers. Again, I recommend kydex over leather for sport shooting. AN last of all, you will need a cover garment which I am sure you already own since it can be just about anything that covers the gun and mags from view.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube to watch if you want to see what stages look like. Bit of advice though, having watched a bunch of them, don't take everyone's advice as being expert advice.

The principle behind IDPA is that it allows just about anyone to compete with minimal equipment unlike USPSA where it can get into an equipment battle. They are different sports, so different rules for each.

Best thing to do is go out to a match with all your stuff and sign up. You will likely get a new shooter brief that explains the safety rules of the range and the sport. Let the Safety know that it is your first match and they should walk you through everything as far as the use of cover and what targets to shoot if they are friendly.

It is a very fun sport and there is always such nice people at the matches that I have gone to, it gets to be addicting.

Have fun and shoot safe!

(Northampton County)

As it has been stated ... a good OWB holster (I love my Blade Tech) and some mag carriers.

The matches you may want to consider are at Blue Ridge Cherry Valley (Snydersville area) as this will be closer. I think there are some in Wilkes Barre as well.

Going a little more than an hour you can hit up Easton Fish and Game, Guthsville, and Ontelaunee

While just going out and shooting a match is fine, I HIGHLY recommend this class:

http://www.introtoidpa.org/Home_Page.php

To address the cost. Most seem to be about $15 to enter with a round count between 60-150

(Chester County)

I was new to gun ownership last fall and earlier this year, one of my good buddies first took me to a 3 gun match in York where I got hooked on the competitive nature of shooting. From there, he invited me to go shoot at an IDPA match. Turns out that it was just a qualifying day. I didn't care. I went ahead and shot the stages that day and had a blast. I didn't expect to qualify very high, but I had a blast and it got me to try things that I wouldn't normally try.

So, I say just go for it and have a blast with some friends!

i would also recommend you that you move on to the site named http://www.introtoidpa.org here you will get all the information you require and also when you start your shooting there it will cost you about $15-20$

(Lackawanna County)

There is an IDPA match at Factoryville sportsman club tomorrow morning at 9am if your looking for one in the area! www.fscweb.org

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    There is an IDPA match at Factoryville sportsman club tomorrow morning at 9am if your looking for one in the area! www.fscweb.org
    Thanks, but I have to work today, and that's a bit too far anyways.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

All you need is a holster, two mag pouches and three mags. Just be able to draw and reload safely and take your time. Shoot slow, safe and have fun. Every match I've ever been to, the guys are really helpful to new shooters. They always ask who is new and go over all of the safety rules with you. If you have any questions ask. IDPA is slightly less addictive than crystal meth. The first time I took one of my friends from work to a shoot I apologized to him. He looked at me like I was crazy, then I told him "I'm sorry you are going to spend all your money on ammo from now on". Most matches are $10-$15 and use less than 100 rds. I usually bring 150 just in case. Here's a club in Sciota that runs matches on Sundays I think:

http://www.brcv-gun.org

Blue Ridge Cherry Valley

The best site for info in our area was already mentioned above:
    WWW.NEPAIDPASCORES.NET
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast