Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default M&P 9 VTAC ejection issues

Right in the face. Every time. Tried 5 different kinds of ammo. 115-124gr.

2 people shooting it. Death grip, loose grip. Seriously it has a device in the slide that can detect your face and it launches accordingly.

Ejector is wiggly as well. Not a lot, but a little.

How do I fix this? I got burned when one lodged itself between my glasses and my face. And was pelted repeatedly in the glasses the whole time. Chest, neck, shoulder. Total garbage.

I've done some searching, and evidently this isn't uncommon. Also the ejector housing is supposedly different in the VTAC making apex upgrades impossible. If swapping out the ejector housing is a possible fix. Then show me where I order one that will allow upgrades going forward as well. The trigger break on this gun is nice. The reset is meh.

Input advice, links, suggestions... welcome.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: M&P 9 VTAC ejection issues

Never mind. Fixed this one myself.

The M&P uses an ejector with an angled edge contacting the case. But the angle you would expect it to be, breaking towards the ejection port and up. Its the opposite. I came back straight against the tip of the ejector with a wheel. Effectively blunting the nose where it contacts the rim of the case. This creates a larger effective area of contact. Without any angles at play. I did not take much off, in fact, I used a rubberized polishing wheel to do it. And I didn't do the entire ejector, just about the width of a ballpoint pen tip. But this alone increases the patch of contact by a factor of about 3 or 4.

You can now shoot the gun with WWB and two fingers holding it and it send it just past your shoulder.

Its not a perfect 3 O'clock pile, but its now consistent. But if you're getting pelted. This may work for you. By blunting the nose it also hits the brass about the same even if the ejector is wiggly like this one.

I imagine after 500-600 rounds the same thing might occur. But since brass is soft and the ejector is steel... its possible it would take longer and may not peen down the way you want it to.

I've seen this problem posted on a lot of forums, with no clear solutions given. Sometimes the spring rate, and extractor were given as solutions as well.

I changed neither of those. Gun is still a day old with maybe 180 rounds through it. And the force of the ejection has improved as well. IE: the distance they fly from the gun. No more cases getting cranked by the slide and flying end over end at my face.

As always. Ymmv
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; October 15th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.