Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Differences between German K98 and Yugo 24/47?

I don't know much about the Mausers.

Anyway, what are the key differences between the German K98 and the Yugo 24/47? JG Sales is selling them at 200+ and 130, respectively, so there has to be a reason. It could simply be a matter of history, as the German K98s have all the Nazi markings, but just making sure that I won't be spending money on an inferior rifle if I opt for the Yugo.

Thanks.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Differences between German K98 and Yugo 24/47?

Not all of the German Mausers have the Nazi emblems. Some have the old Kaiser or Republic markings predating the 1933 Nazi takeover.

Other than that, I cant help ya much.. hopefully someone else can give ya more info.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Any K98 for 200ish is a Russian Capture Rifle. These were torn down, recievers, bolts, and stocks put in separate piles. The stocks were coated with shelac, metal parts were blued, and bolts were put on, and headspaced. Lots of times, the swastikas were pinged out with a punch. Parts were electropenciled to match numbers wise. They may be great shooters, depends on the bore. Usually intact waffenampts (Nazi Markings) will cost a little more. Also some production codes on reciever are more rare. The 24/47 has a straight bolt, and I believe, were produced after WW2. My 24/47 is the best shooting 8mm I have.

(Greene County)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mausers. Both the 98k and the Yugo 24/47 are Large ring Mausers, which are the "better" (read stronger) ones, compared to the spanish and swedish small rings. Generally the large ring mauser are the same in dimensions, but when a style of action is adopted and manufactured by many countries, variations exist.
    The 98k action is standard length while the yugo are of interimedate length. This means that the bolts, stocks, and triggerguards are slightly different and do not interchange. What does this mean to you. Nothing if you plan to keep the rifle as is. If planning to build a sporter on the yugo, you would have fewer choices in cartridges due to the shorter length.
    Both are fine rifles, and unless you are planning to collect there is no reason to buy the 98k for a shooter. Also for collecting purposes there are better specimens out there than Russian captures.

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

From a distance they look identical except like hrc mentioned the yugo 24/47 has an intermediate lenght action compared to the standard 98 action. If I remember correctly it is about .25 inch shorter. Also the handguards are different between the models. The Yugo surrounds the rear sight and goes to the front of the receiver. The K98 has a shorter handguard that starts at the front of the rear sight. Typically the 24/47 has a straight bolt and the K98 is bent. The 24/47 has a so called "safety ring" at the breech of the barrel that the typical 98 action does not have. The purpose of the saftey ring is to help support the rear of the cartridge in case of a ruptured case. The 98 action is plenty strong and the addition safety ring is just icing on the cake. The 24/47 yugos are actuallly refurbed prewar Serbian model 24's. The old royal markings were removed and the new communist marks added as well as any parts that needed replaced. I have both German K98's and various models of Yugo mausers ( 24/47, m48 , yugo capture K98, and 24/52c) All are good in my book, but I consider the yugos shooters and the german k98 as collectors.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by egon12 View Post
    From a distance they look identical except like hrc mentioned the yugo 24/47 has an intermediate lenght action compared to the standard 98 action. If I remember correctly it is about .25 inch shorter. Also the handguards are different between the models. The Yugo surrounds the rear sight and goes to the front of the receiver. The K98 has a shorter handguard that starts at the front of the rear sight. Typically the 24/47 has a straight bolt and the K98 is bent. The 24/47 has a so called "safety ring" at the breech of the barrel that the typical 98 action does not have. The purpose of the saftey ring is to help support the rear of the cartridge in case of a ruptured case. The 98 action is plenty strong and the addition safety ring is just icing on the cake. The 24/47 yugos are actuallly refurbed prewar Serbian model 24's. The old royal markings were removed and the new communist marks added as well as any parts that needed replaced. I have both German K98's and various models of Yugo mausers ( 24/47, m48 , yugo capture K98, and 24/52c) All are good in my book, but I consider the yugos shooters and the german k98 as collectors.
    +1. Very good information here.

The big difference is the bent bolt on the k98, that parts aren't interchangeable, and the 24/47 stock doesn't have the sling opening in the side or the coin looking thing in the side of the stock for helping remove the firing pin.

Also, because of collector value a $200 K98 is GENERALLY going to be in far worse shape than a $150 24/47.

(Chester County)

The main reason I was looking into the Mausers was because of the safer bolt (vents and, after reading this thread, the reinforcement). Regardless, the ammo is too expensive for my taste, so I went with an M44 to match my 91/30. This is a bit off topic but are Mosin bolts significantly "cheaper" than Mauser bolts? I'm always paranoid of firing it. I need someone to put my mind at ease. The bold and receiver are matching.

(Greene County)

When you say cheaper I assume you talk of the metal itself. I definately would not put the Nagant rifle in the same class a Mauser, but it works. The Mosin design is old but has proven itself as reliable in its original configuration, as long as the rifle is in sound condition. I have not had good luck with a Mosin being a southpaw. A buddy of mine has a grungy old chinese version which would always blow junk in my face when it shot it, but he still shoots it without incident. Lots of people love them, and you can't beat the price of the gun or ammo.

If you have doubts by all means get a gunsmith to go over it, because your safety is of the upmost importance. I'd hate to loose an eye (or worse) over a $50 gun(or whatever is the going rate these days).

(Chester County)

Yeah, I hear that. Mainly, I was just wondering if they're notorious for any unsafe things.

(Allegheny County)

The Mosin bolt is very strong. They have been working fine for the past 117 years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast