Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default 5.7mm Glock coming?

I "heard" yesterday from someone that is a big time Glock nut (and who always seems to know what's coming before it comes from Glock), that Glock is introducing a new double stack full sized 5.7mm pistol "sometime next year."

Anyone else heard -anything- about this at all?

(York County)

Default Re: 5.7mm Glock coming?

If they do, I well get one. First day.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Schuylkill County)

That would be one reason to get rid of my 19 hah

I think even I would buy a Glock then.

If they priced them similar to the 17/19, they would sell a shit ton of 5.7mm Glocks.

Just imagine how much the ammo prices would drop if volume went through the roof. The new Federal American Eagle 40gr TMJ practice ammo can already be had as low as $18 a box/50 if you look around, and under 20 is pretty common.

(Fayette County)

Would be nice, even though I'm not one of those huge Glock fans.

I'm still holding my breath for a compact or subcompact 5.7mm and starting to get a bit lightheaded. Fullsize is great and all that, but some manufacturer out there needs to look into 5.7mm concealed carry. My two cents.

Probably about the same time the Glock carbine comes out.

(Lancaster County)

Meh, it's a .22 magnum in a different shell--a high capacity, medium velocity pinprick is still a pinprick no matter how cool it may seem to be. Consider that a .45 ACP 230 grain hits whatever you're shooting at with almost SIX TIMES the bullet mass per trigger pull.

Now what would be cool is for Thompson Center to recreate Francisco Scaramanger's golden gun as a slightly modified Contender in 5.7 and offer gold plated ammo for it. That would actually be a practical use for the 5.7.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I hate to say this, put your post is liberally laced in ignorance. Almost neg rep worthy misinformation, to be honest.

It takes a .22 mag with a 24" barrel to match FN ammo's own mild loaded SS198 round ballistics from a Five Seven pistol.

Elite has loads that flirt with 400fpe of energy and exceed 2500fps from a 4.9" barrel pistol.

Which is about FOUR TIMES the energy of a .22 magnum from a pistol, and DOUBLE the muzzle velocity.

And 5.7mm uses far more effective streamlined .224" spitzer bullets. The FN 5.7mm 28gr OTM bullet is .85" long, and tumbles on impact, creating very nasty wound tracts. The hot elite version also exhibits jacket fragmentation characteristics.

In it's independent summary of the 28gr OTM bullet, Brassfetcher ballsitics labs concluded it is shot for shot as terminally effective as 230gr .45 acp JHP ammunition.

And 5.7mm will cut through a IIIA vest like butter.

But besides that...sure, they're the same!

LOL
    Last edited by Valorius; October 21st, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

(Lancaster County)

So it works like hell to get the same energy levels as other pistol rounds, still has a 40 grain bullet instead of 115, 180, or 230, and its claim to fame is that it zips through armor which I presently have a 5-10% chance of facing out of the already maybe 3% chance I'll actually need to shoot my defensive gun at anything/anybody (although with current economic and societal conditions perhaps elevated to 12-15% chance, which is reason enough for me to carry what I do already)...after which I'd STILL be hitting that threat once the armor is pierced with a mere 1/3 of a 5.56 round.

I'll concede that your data is accurate, that it does exceed a .22 Mag, but still it's a lot to basically reformulate the results we already get from other rounds and at a higher cost and dramatically less widely available ammo.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; October 12th, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Wayne County)

Lol this battle again. All (common defensive) pistol calibers are horrid man stoppers. ( meaning a one hit kill is a bad way to think, possible but not the norm.) The 5.7s advantage is it's easily mitigated recoil, allowing for accurate and rapid follow up shots. The point of a 5.7 is to put 5 or 6 rounds in the kill zone before the bad guy can say " oh shh"

lights out.
    Last edited by Splittiebus66; October 12th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast