Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Vietnam Era 3-gun Match this Sunday @DCFS

This Sunday morning (10/14/12), the hi-power range at Delco Field & Stream will be holding a three-gun "Vietnam Era" action match.

Course of fire consists of:

• 8 shots sitting from a pump-action 12ga shotgun at four steel plates set at approximately 20 yards. Must reload 4 shots.
    • 20 shots standing from a semi-automatic handgun at five steel places set at approximately 25 feet. Shooter will need four magazines, each loaded with five rounds of ammunition (cast bullets only).
    • 8 shots offhand within 8 minutes from a bolt action or semi-automatic rifle at four bowling pins set at 100 yards.

Scoring: The shotgun and pistol stages are timed. Each miss or procedural error adds five seconds to the shooter's score. Each hit with the rifle takes five seconds off. Lowest overall time wins.

Ammo Restrictions:

• Shotgun - #8 shot or smaller only. No high-brass.
    • Handgun - Cast bullets only. No jacketed bullets.

Firearms:

• Shotgun - Any pump-action 12ga shotgun. Includes Winchester 1897, Ithaca 37, Remington 870.
    • Handgun - Any semi-automatic handgun of a type used by combatants during Vietnam War era. Fixed or adjustable iron/open sights only (no scopes, red-dots) Examples: 1911A1, Tokarev, Makarov.
    • Rifle - Any bolt action or semi-automatic rifle of a type used by combatants during the Vietnam War and civilian versions thereof. Iron/open sights only. Examples include M1A, AR15, SKS, AK-47, Mosin Nagant, M1 Carbine.

If you don't have one of the required types of firearms, don't let that stop you from coming by. Many shooters will let you borrow one of theirs for the match, although reimbursement for ammo costs would probably be appreciated.

Classes - Target class (adjustable pistol sights) and Military class (fixed pistol sights).

Match fee is $8.

Feel free to stop by. This event is open to the public. You do not have to be a DCF&S member to participate.

We start at 9AM. All participants must be signed-up by Noon.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Hope to see some new faces there.

(Delaware County)

Talking Re: Vietnam Era 3-gun Match this Sunday @DCFS

Wow, what a great idea. Maybe they can have some specialized spin off matches. S&W model 60's were floating around and desirable. Guys would trade stuff a lot more valuable to get them. How about a "Spook" match-room clearing with the Swedish K!
    Tim

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Vietnam Era 3-gun Match this Sunday @DCFS

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post

• Handgun - Cast bullets only. No jacketed bullets.

So you basically must reload?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    So you basically must reload?
    I admit, it's not a perfect situation but there is a desire to minimize target damage and the chance of ricochets, etc.

You might want to check with Delco shooter's supply in Prospect park. I wonder if they sell ammo loaded with cast bullets.

That being said, loaded cast bullet ammunition is available commercially for the more popular semi-auto pistol calibers (45ACP, 9mm). I would also think that frangible rounds would also be acceptable for our matches but I need to confirm that with the master range officer.

Our remaining three-gun matches for this year are scheduled for November 11 (WWII Era match - same format as above but with WWII era firearms) and December 9 (Wild-bunch match - semi-auto shotgun, 1911A1 handgun (fired with only one hand) and 1903A3 rifle).

(Delaware County)

I would do this. But the cast bullets may keep me out.
    Rifle first, rifle last, rifle always.

(Philadelphia County)

I understand the reasoning (sort of) but a different target could surely be used. Getting cast bullets or brass for 9mm Mak, Tok, etc. is a huge headache.