Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AR vs AK

(Lackawanna County)

Default AR vs AK

No its not one of those threads or at least I don't want it to be.

I was shooting both systems today and I realized that these rifles are different like women can be different. You find that this rifle does something better than the other while both have their own quirks.

To say I love this one more than I love the other is to limit your own experience.... I don't want to deny my self a pleasure of knowing both kinds.

Enjoy your firearms gents.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: AR vs AK

Different tools for different tasks, just like different clubs in a golf bag, which is why nobody insists on having just a screwdriver or just a 5 iron.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Luzerne County)

I am curious about your experience.
    this rifle does something better than the other
    What did you find that each rifle did better than the other during your use?
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Lackawanna County)

As you understand there is nothing new I could possibly discover. I enjoyed my day at the range and each rifle felt different and shot great. Hence the feeling of happiness.

Stag felt crisp and ear piercing loud. Vepr was as solid as tank and was up to the task at list at 100 yards. You know how you feel when you know this rifles are your favorites. Just remembering yesterday shooting puts smile on my face.
    Last edited by SHTF; October 11th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.

(Bucks County)

Pluses and minuses with both.

Good you have both...
    no decisions, except which to shoot first/next.
    (always shoot the one you have the most ammo for first)

see... now you don't even have to decide!!

(Monroe County)

I can't remember where I heard it, but I like this analogy:

The AR is like a scalpel, and the AK is like a machete. They both do what they're designed to to, and they both do it well. But you would be hard pressed to perform surgery with only a machete, just like you would be hard pressed to hack your way through a jungle with just a scalpel.

The scalpel needs to be maintained and sharpened properly in order to work well, and is for precision jobs. It will not work so well if you use it and let it get dull without taking care of it.

The machete doesn't really need to be maintained much. Sure, it works a bit better if it's nice and sharp... But you can let it get pretty bad and still have a perfectly usable machete.

It's a trade-off. Do you want better accuracy, but have to maintain and oil the weapon well? AR is the rifle for you. You'd rather have a rifle that can be used & abused and still function, and sacrifice a little bit of accuracy? You need an AK. Can't decide? Get both!
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    The AR is like a scalpel, and the AK is like a machete. They both do what they're designed to to, and they both do it well. But you would be hard pressed to perform surgery with only a machete, just like you would be hard pressed to hack your way through a jungle with just a scalpel.
    That analogy is genius whoever said it. I shot ARs, but never an AK. Now I know the difference. Thanks for sharing.

(Montgomery County)

IF we are just talking a rifle to depend on in a lawless or SHTF (god I hate saying that now...) scenario then Id say the AK hands down BUT....when you take other things into account like the weight of the ammo and how much you can carry it starts to go back towards the AR....but I think still based on reliability I would go with an AK. But then think about the fact that there will be a LOT of 223 around compared to 7.62...I dont know. See it goes back and forth. Once you stop trying to figure out which is the very tippity toppity best and just frickin buy one you realize you're better off then 70% of the rest of people who only have a baseball bat and a hammer in their house.