Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Question on moving out of state and LTCF

Once you move out of state, if you are back in Pa with one's unexpired LTCF is it still good?

IE could this person still be loaned a handgun, could they still transport firearms in their car when not on the way to (that tiny list of places allowed when one doesn't have one)?
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Question on moving out of state and LTCF

When you say "back in the state" do you mean permanently or for the weekend?

Somehow I would think that your LTCF becomes invalid once you move out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    When you say "back in the state" do you mean permanently or for the weekend?

Somehow I would think that your LTCF becomes invalid once you move out of state.
    Why? PA issues to out-of-state residents. Just notify the issuing sheriff's office of your new address when you move, and your LTCF should remain fully valid until it expires. Just remember, though, that once you move out of PA the PA LTCF no longer covers you in Federal school zones.

(Montgomery County)

The weekend or the day.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Bucks County)

Moving out of state does not invalidate your LTCF. It is good until it expires. You can notify the sheriff of change of address so they know where to send your renewal app....but it is not required.

(Indiana County)

The LTCF is good until it expires, regardless. The difference between an in-state and out-of-state is merely one's domicile.

Now, comes time to renew the LTCF, you would need a license/permit/whatever from your new state (unless it's Illinois, since they don't have one).

But, until then, your LTCF is your LTCF is your LTCF.

And, if anyone thinks I'm wrong, I'd appreciate being corrected with a statute citation stating otherwise (I doubt that I'm wrong, but I'm always receptive to constructive criticism).

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Why? PA issues to out-of-state residents. Just notify the issuing sheriff's office of your new address when you move, and your LTCF should remain fully valid until it expires. Just remember, though, that once you move out of PA the PA LTCF no longer covers you in Federal school zones.
    It continues to cover you in federally-defined school zones in Pennsylvania, same as it ever did. It does not cover you in federally-defined school zones outside PA, just as it never did. The GFSZA says nothing about residency, just whether an individual holds a permit issued by the state containing the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    The LTCF is good until it expires, regardless. The difference between an in-state and out-of-state is merely one's domicile.

Now, comes time to renew the LTCF, you would need a license/permit/whatever from your new state (unless it's Illinois, since they don't have one).

But, until then, your LTCF is your LTCF is your LTCF.

And, if anyone thinks I'm wrong, I'd appreciate being corrected with a statute citation stating otherwise (I doubt that I'm wrong, but I'm always receptive to constructive criticism).
    An LTCF is not automatically invalidated by moving out of PA. However
    if you move to a state which the BATFE has defined as issuing carry licenses/permits (every state except Illinois IIRC),
    and you do not obtain that state's carry license/permit upon attaining residency there,
    and the issuing authority of your old PA LTCF becomes aware of that fact,
    then he or she is required to revoke it.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(i) Revocation.--
    A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit.
    (Emphasis added throughout.)
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you very much!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
    ...IE could this person still be loaned a handgun...
    I don't recall the relevant fed statute, but I seem to remember there being a federal law prohibiting or limiting loans of handguns between residents of two different states except for narrow "sporting" purposes. Sorry that I can't be more specific about that possible concern.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I don't recall the relevant fed statute, but I seem to remember there being a federal law prohibiting or limiting loans of handguns between residents of two different states except for narrow "sporting" purposes. Sorry that I can't be more specific about that possible concern.
    You are correct. You can find a link to the specific law on the BATFE FAQ site: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/

I don't think it's limited to handguns. I believe it applies to all firearms, and it allows for the "temporary" loan of firearms for (IIRC) "legitimate sporting purposes." And if you look into it, the BATFE has an extremely narrow view of what constitutes a legitimate sporting purpose. Hunting? Yep. Trap/skeet? Yep. Bullseye competition? Yep.

IPSC/IDPA competition? Nope. Cowboy action competition? Nope. Fast draw competition? Nope.

Be careful. Do your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by BATFE
    A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.
    Last edited by Greywolf; October 11th, 2012 at 11:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast