Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default positive case of CWD in PA from a captive deer

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/p...d=0&pageid=138

CWD was found in a captive deer. The recommended course of action from the PA Dept. of Agriculture (PDA) is to "depopulate" that herd (re: kill all deer in herd). The PGC does not oversee "deer farms." I was not aware of the practice of "deer farming" until today. There also appears to be a PA Deer Farmers Association and it has a web page dedicated to it's policy & penalties regarding CWD:

http://www.padfa.com/health-regulations/

I don't know enough about "deer farming" to know if it fills an importnat use, or if it should be outlawed. I understand that the group has oversight through the PDA rather than the PGC which doesn't make any sense to me at all.

(Erie County)

Default Re: positive case of CWD in PA from a captive deer

Ouch...is this the beginning of the end of deer hunting in PA?

Adams County... another link: here
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

Deer farms raise deer for many reasons, meat, hides, urine for hunters, and antlers for retail sales, plus breeding. Many deer farms selectively breed for large antlered deer and then sell these huge racked bucks to hunting preserves. Big money and it's big business.

CL

(Somerset County)

Antlers in velvet are big $ too, especially to the Asian market. Elk are farmed also. And it is farming, not much difference between raising deer and cows except the fences are higher. That's why it regulated by the Dep't. of Agriculture.

Dale

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post

CWD was found in a captive deer. The recommended course of action from the PA Dept. of Agriculture (PDA) is to "depopulate" that herd (re: kill all deer in herd). The PGC does not oversee "deer farms." I was not aware of the practice of "deer farming" until today. There also appears to be a PA Deer Farmers Association and it has a web page dedicated to it's policy & penalties regarding CWD:

I don't know enough about "deer farming" to know if it fills an importnat use, or if it should be outlawed. I understand that the group has oversight through the PDA rather than the PGC which doesn't make any sense to me at all.
    Kinda kneejerk reaction don't cha think?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post

The PGC used to regulate the deer farms, They (The deer farmers)went to legislators and had the law changed to have the Dept of Ag have control. Dept of Ag has written no citations to my knowledge since they took over.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Kinda kneejerk reaction don't cha think?
    no its not knee jerk, look at states with CWD and see where it came from, usually from captive deer moved state to state. Said deer escape and spread it to the wild population

John F Kennedy.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    no its not knee jerk, look at states with CWD and see where it came from, usually from captive deer moved state to state. Said deer escape and spread it to the wild population
    And once it's present in the soil it is impossible to get rid of [so far].
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Delaware County)

So people should not be allowed to make a living as deer farmers because they might have a deer escape and spread cwd? I don't agree with outlawing something because something might happen. That is the way I think what ever the discussion is about.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    So people should not be allowed to make a living as deer farmers because they might have a deer escape and spread cwd? I don't agree with outlawing something because something might happen. That is the way I think what ever the discussion is about.
    not might ....DID.... in every state with CWD.

John F Kennedy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast