Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default AK magnification; help!

So ive been rifling through (pun intended) the threads in rifles and also the pictures thread. ive got a wasr. love it. no canted sights. 100% reliable. ive always loved AKs; i guess im a bit of a recoil junkie.

however, i havent had great luck finding a decent magnifier or powered scope for a decent price (around $100). im NOT lookin for a competition gun. im lookin to sit down at 100 yds and hit the target with better accuracy and visibility than factory irons.

i have a quad rail up front, previously with a tasco red dot which did the trick well enough, but i want something with magnification.

so. who has an AK with the zoom factor? whats the preffered set up? thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK magnification; help!

side rail ount if the wasr is straight and a primary arms 1x4 cost you about $120 for scope and price for a side rail

(Lackawanna County)

UTG 5th Gen AK Tactical Tri-Rail Mount With 1" Rings.
    Now I have to explain that my wasr is my backup/last resort AK and I intend to use it only when both of my Veprs are out of order. So I don't care a lot about hitting tight groups with it.

That being said this accessory ended up being very well made for the money and because of securing bolts this cover won't move at all the way ak covers usually wobble. AND you can still use iron sights without any limitation.

I mounted this scope on it. UTG 3-9x32 Compact CQB Bug Buster AO RGB Scope

All setup was around 100$

(Allegheny County)

Buy a surplus PSL scope. And switch the base to an AK type instead of an SVD mount.

Kalinka has the mount portion. The scopes can be had for about $100. Sometimes $90. They are 4X fixed. But bomb proof.

It also doesn't require the use of dust cover mounts by utilizing the side optics rail that's already on the rifle...

If you want to get serious buy an RS regulate mount instead, and the scope of your choosing.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Buy a surplus PSL scope. And switch the base to an AK type instead of an SVD mount.

Kalinka has the mount portion. The scopes can be had for about $100. Sometimes $90. They are 4X fixed. But bomb proof.

It also doesn't require the use of dust cover mounts by utilizing the side optics rail that's already on the rifle...

If you want to get serious buy an RS regulate mount instead, and the scope of your choosing.

thanks for the advice guys! those of you who rock a side mount off the existing ak side mount, are these mounts over center or slightly off? i guess its important to note that i am left handed, and with a scope being off center i might have an issue finding the sweet spot if its pushed toward the left side of the firearm.

SHTF- have you found the dust cover mount to be fairly easy to switch off and on with the original while holding zero? thanks again for your input guys!

(Butler County)

I have one of these and it is solid.

http://texasweaponsystems.com/

These will be my next purchase when I scratch up the bucks.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-SPARC-Red-Dot-Sights-C2988.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Magnifiers-C2987.aspx

Last edited by TTR; October 18th, 2012 at 01:23 PM.

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill........

(Lackawanna County)

Removing is easy. Does it holds zero? Don't know since I never bothered to check.

I know scope on vepr with side mount does holds zero after removal. And utg gen 5 side mount is right in the middle.
    Last edited by SHTF; October 18th, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tgriffit View Post
    thanks for the advice guys! those of you who rock a side mount off the existing ak side mount, are these mounts over center or slightly off? i guess its important to note that i am left handed, and with a scope being off center i might have an issue finding the sweet spot if its pushed toward the left side of the firearm.

SHTF- have you found the dust cover mount to be fairly easy to switch off and on with the original while holding zero? thanks again for your input guys!
    My suggestion was more in the name of staying with a stock configuration. It would allow you to use an optic rail, and scope the way it was intended. But if you are left handed the end result will be an offset scope. And probably a bit less than desireable for you.

I am not a fan of the majority of the dust cover mounts. The ones that hinge are better than the ones that just use screws to increase rigidity. But they cost more. The dust cover is generally a piss poor place for an optic on an AK. Mainly due to the lack of rigidity in the dust cover. But many of the mounts have come a long way.

The RS Regulate mount is different however. It still uses the optic rail, but is built to allow you lateral adjustment, and can be centered over the bore. It is also built to be bomb proof. Once it's dialed in. You can drive pins in and it will likely never move. But can still be removed easily just like any of the other side rail optics. There are more than a few variations of it. You'll have to find the one for an actual scope you want. And they are not cheap.

Go look at them. Just remember. The dust cover mounts worth 2 shits, aren't cheap either. So... decide what style you think would suit you better. Then buy accordingly.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a beryl mount on my ak with a tasco 3-9x50 that I picked up at Walmart for less then 50 bucks. the beryl mount was 50 as well. I didn't want to invest a lot of money in optics either. but I'm pretty accurate out to 200 yards with it, good enough for me.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Lackawanna County)

Yeah, I mean its an AK. Hard to make it a tack driver.

Here is my recent 100 yards Vepr target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast