Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: No more 8mm mauser surplus?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    I'm still sitting on some crates of Romanian 8mm, my M76 and K98 has no problems with it, good plinking ammo. I put up the first documented build on the M76 on the net awhile ago, so I've been shooting it a bunch now with no issues. I do shoot the privi 8mm occasionaly just to get the brass for future reloading efforts. Still got a case of 50's Yugo, but I won't run that stuff through either of my two 8mm guns, but maybe if I convert the 1919 some day I'll use it up.
    The 1950's Yugo I have runs fine through my Yugo M24/47 and my dad's Yugo M48. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the k98, although I understand your concern running it through the M76.

And not nit picking at you specifically but you just reminded me. I see a lot of people refer to Prvi Partizan ammo at "privi". Not sure if that's a nickname or a common mistake, but "prvi" is said more like "pervy" (say that with a Serbian accent), not privi ("privy").

(Montgomery County)

I picked up two 50 round bags of early 1970s Portuguese 8mm at the August Oaks show for $13 each. It was advertised as non-corrosive. Even though I know most surplus to be corrosive I figured it was a good deal if it was non-corrosive. The research I did afterwards confirmed that it was non-corrosive, it is fairly rare, and it is very accurate. He had a few more than the two I bought and I should have bought it all. I haven't shot any of it yet and I'm wondering if I even should if it's so hard to find.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    I picked up two 50 round bags of early 1970s Portuguese 8mm at the August Oaks show for $13 each. It was advertised as non-corrosive. Even though I know most surplus to be corrosive I figured it was a good deal if it was non-corrosive. The research I did afterwards confirmed that it was non-corrosive, it is fairly rare, and it is very accurate. He had a few more than the two I bought and I should have bought it all. I haven't shot any of it yet and I'm wondering if I even should if it's so hard to find.
    Don't buy ammo you're not willing to shoot! If you're hesitating about it don't worry my M24/47 will gladly accept the meal.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpkotor View Post
    Don't buy ammo you're not willing to shoot! If you're hesitating about it don't worry my M24/47 will gladly accept the meal.
    Ha! Of course I bought it to shoot it and that's what I'll wind up doing. I was mostly just commenting on how rare it might be.

(Pike County)

I'd just get a PSL since 7.62x54R is cheap and plentiful, plus like other posters mentioned it's still in production with many countries so the ammo should always be available.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123