Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: No more 8mm mauser surplus?

As an owner of an M76, I would strongly advise NOT using surplus 8mm in an M76. Bolt action rifles love the stuff, semi autos... not so much. Some of the builders out there will repeat this to you. Unless your using M75 ammo stay away from surplus. Stick with PPU or comercially made new ammo.

Rob

I was able to find several bandoleers of surplus 8mm at the last Harrisburg gun show. I bought three. The prices ranged from $25 to $30 per 70 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    +1 Surplus ammo except for calibers commonly still in use will dry up eventually.Look at all the 54R ammo and rifles imported from Warsaw Pac countries (mainly Ukraine) That too will cease to exist remember how cheap the Albanian 54R ammo used to be and how much there was! Now where is it? Same will happen to all the surplus ammo including the 5.45x39 . If you able Buy cheap and stock deep unless you reload then pick the calibers that brass is cheap or can be reformed from other calibers as stated above 8mm can be made from 30-06 brass ,54R nothing really that fits the bill But new brass will be available but pricy compared to other calibers.
    Don't forget that 54R caliber is still widely used and produced by Russian military. I doubt it will dry up unless some restrictions will be imposed.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LEUVUK View Post
    Don't forget that 54R caliber is still widely used and produced by Russian military. I doubt it will dry up unless some restrictions will be imposed.
    True it is and there are restrictions already between Russian and the US the surplus even the Russian made surplus did not come from Russia as I stated most came from Ukraine stores.It may be made in Russian but thats not where the importer is getting it

I just found a whole crate of 8mm in my basement

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    SOLD!

Still haven't gotten around to calling aimsurplus, I know I said I would. I have an exam coming up and have been wasting away in the library.

The dream of either the PSL or M76 is slowly fading as I'm becoming more realistic about my gun-budget haha. The old 8mm stuff I have will be fine in my bolt action M24/47 (and my dad's M48), and will last us a while.

Someone mentioned this surplus (at least the Yugo 50's stuff) wouldn't work well in an M76. How about my Rommy 70's production surplus?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Yeah I got a couple of spam cans of Romanian 8mm to be used as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Yeah I got a couple of spam cans of Romanian 8mm to be used as a last resort.
    I cant remember what mfg it is but i got it for about 150.00
    I'm still using my german surplus from 38, i think i have a few ammo cans left of that stuff too. Its old but still works great.

(Philadelphia County)

So I called aimsurplus to ask about the 8mm. The lady I spoke with said that she hasn't heard of any of it coming back, and they haven't had it in a while. I wasn't sure if the first person to answer their phones would have in depth details regarding the importing of their surplus (as opposed to just being a sales person that does for you what you can do online), so I tried to guide the conversation that way. She seemed pretty sure. I was hoping she'd say she can ask someone who knows more about their sources but she didn't and I was reluctant to flat out ask her. She did say she hasn't heard anything about any more surplus coming in.

(York County)

I'm still sitting on some crates of Romanian 8mm, my M76 and K98 has no problems with it, good plinking ammo. I put up the first documented build on the M76 on the net awhile ago, so I've been shooting it a bunch now with no issues. I do shoot the privi 8mm occasionaly just to get the brass for future reloading efforts. Still got a case of 50's Yugo, but I won't run that stuff through either of my two 8mm guns, but maybe if I convert the 1919 some day I'll use it up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast