Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default German Mauser k98 value?

So a little while back i got a German Mauser k98 and have been trying to figure out what its worth. It has dou 44 written on the receiver along with German Nazi proof marks. is an 8 millimeter. the sad part is that the stock has been cut down and sporterized. it has original sites on it and is in pretty decent condition. who ever had cut down the stock did a pretty nice job of it and and filled in the hole where the original sling would have went. all the numbers are matching except for the trigger guard. Also this Mauser doesn't have any import markings.

For trading for my 4 year old diamond archery bow I think I got a pretty good deal. Considering I got this German K 98 + a Taurus .17 model 172 pump action, modeled off the old winchesters, which apparently is a hard to find gun. And was nib when i got it.

Any help is appreciated in advance!

(Indiana County)

Default Re: German Mauser k98 value?

Without pictures?
    I'd say $200 to $250 max.
    Restored, again without pics, closer to $400-$425.

Wideners currently has shooter grades starting at $329 in full military furniture.

Be sure to check under the handguard if still present for the import stamp, years ago importers were stamping under the wood.
    I found a "non-import" 30 Carbine at the last show I was at and after asking to remove it from the stock, found the Springfield Sporters import stamp under the wood.
    I've seen plenty of these locally since Springfield Sporters was/is only 10 miles from me.

(York County)

I took the stock off and found no import marks and nowhere that they would have been and someone would have taken them off. i took some pictures but for some reason it kept coming up with an error. i will try again later.

(York County)

I couldn't lay my hands on my copy of Guns of the Third Reich, but found this with a quick search:
    www.radix.net/~bbrown/codes_rifle.html

German WW2 Ordnance Codes for Military Rifles

German WW2-era military rifles usually have markings on the receiver, barrel, rear sight, and stock, from which one can get some information about the history of the piece.

The top of the receiver (that part of the barrel into which the bolt shoves the cartridge) usually has a 2- or 3-letter code with a number below it. (Early codes were sometimes numerical or a combination of letters and numbers.) The code indicates the manufacturer of the receiver, and the number below the code is the year in which the part was made. Other markings are usually either proof marks (indicating that the barrel was test fired with cartridges loaded with a larger charge of gunpowder than normally used to ensure safety) or Waffenamt (ordnance department) markings, indicated by the symbol of an eagle with outstreached wings with the letters WaAxxx below, where xxx is a 2- or 3-digit number indicating which Waffenamt accepted the piece.

The following table lists the ordnance codes found in Mauser Bolt Rifles by L. Olson (third edition, F. Brownell & Son, 1976, 12th printing 1991). They can be used to get some historical information about your particular rifle.

These codes may apply to German pistols of the same era, but I have no information about that.

As always, I'm not responsible for any inaccuracies in Olson's data, just for the transcription. Please report any errors to me.

German WWII Rifle Ordnance Codes
    Code Manufacturer
    ar Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm
    ax Feinmechanische Werke GmbH, Erfurt, Altonaerstr. 25
    bcd Gustloff Werke, Werk Wiemar, Weimar
    bcd/ar Dual code; denotes manufacture jointly by Gustloff Werke in Weimar, and Mauser-Werke AG, Berlin
    bnz Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Werk Steyr, Steyr, Austria
    byf Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf a./N
    ce J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
    dot Waffenwerke Bruenn AG, Brno, Czechoslovakia
    dou Waffenwerke Bruenn AG, Werk Bystrica
    duv Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabriken, Werk Luebeck
    svw Late code for Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf a./N
    swp Late code for Waffenwerke Bruenn AG, Brno, Czechoslovakia
    S/27 Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (ERMA); came under same management as Feinmechanische Werke GmbH
    S/27G Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (ERMA); came under same management as Feinmechanische Werke GmbH
    S/42 Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf a./N, early code
    S/42G Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf a./N, production in 1935
    S/42K Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf a./N, production in 1934
    S/147 J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
    S/147G J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
    S/147K J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
    S/237 Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabriken, Werk Luebeck
    S243 Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm
    S243G Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm
    27 Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (ERMA); came under same management as Feinmechanische Werke GmbH
    42 Mauser-Werke AG, Oberndorf a./N, early code
    147 J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl
    237 Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabriken, Werk Luebeck
    243 Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm
    337 Gustloff Werke, Werk Weimar, Weimar
    660 Steyr-Daimler Puch, Steyr, Austria
    945 Waffenwerke Bruenn AG, Brno, Czechoslovakia

(York County)

heres two pictures of the gun
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Dean View Post
    So a little while back i got a German Mauser k98 and have been trying to figure out what its worth. It has dou 44 written on the receiver along with German Nazi proof marks. is an 8 millimeter. the sad part is that the stock has been cut down and sporterized. it has original sites on it and is in pretty decent condition. who ever had cut down the stock did a pretty nice job of it and and filled in the hole where the original sling would have went. all the numbers are matching except for the trigger guard. Also this Mauser doesn't have any import markings.

For trading for my 4 year old diamond archery bow I think I got a pretty good deal. Considering I got this German K 98 + a Taurus .17 model 172 pump action, modeled off the old winchesters, which apparently is a hard to find gun. And was nib when i got it.

Any help is appreciated in advance!
    once a collectable firearm is sporterized it significantly reduces the firearms value unless the rifle can be brought back to its original condition. in its present condition I would say your rifle is worth less than what import marked rifles cost.

(Indiana County)

IMO, you have a $250 hunting rifle as it sits.

That said, if you can find all original wood and hardware(bands) you will have a nice K98 to display.
    Unfortunately, the replacement stock will still hurt the value, I'll still say it would be in the $450 to $500 range (possibly a bit more to someone just looking to fill a gap in their collection) even when restored in original wood.
    The replacement stock and metal would make it mismatched and even without import markings, the value is ruined IMO due to the sporterization.

You will have to decide if spending the extra money on wood is worth it to you, I believe it would be.

If it were all original, a DOU in the shape yours appears to be in would be about $1200-1500 for a non-import. Sorry.

(York County)

Ugh man, why people gotta sporterize guns like that?! Lol

Does anyone know of any good places that I could find a original stock for it would be? And an idea on how much that would cost?

Also since the stock on this one is already cut up it wouldn't hurt to do redo it would it?

What does the gun not having a import mark exactly mean?

(York County)

The import marking is a requirement of the 1986 law that allowed the importation of Milsup rifles after a nearly 18 year ban imposed by the GCA of 1968.

Guns in the US prior to 1968 were not marked, and of course many were actual war trophy bring backs by returning servicemen. These guns tend to bring a premium, especially if they still have the original war trophy paperwork.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Dean View Post
    Ugh man, why people gotta sporterize guns like that?! Lol

Does anyone know of any good places that I could find a original stock for it would be? And an idea on how much that would cost?

Also since the stock on this one is already cut up it wouldn't hurt to do redo it would it?

What does the gun not having a import mark exactly mean?
    A gun not having an import mark would indicate it's a probable veteran bringback. Unfortunately it is sporterized and the floorplate is mismatched so even if restored would never be "matching".

If you're looking for a correct stock to restore the rifle, look here: http://k98stocks.com/

Otherwise, I'm on the lookout for a k98 stock myself. rguns had them earlier this year but are sold out now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast