Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G27 recoil

(Montgomery County)

Default G27 recoil

Is there a relatively easy way to "soften" the recoil of my G27? Also, is there an advantage to getting a stainless rod over the factory one?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: G27 recoil

There isn't a way to physically soften the recoil using some sort of aftermarket parts. I haven't seen any proofs that a steel recoil rod has any advantages over the factory one.

The G27 recoil, while harsher than the G26 recoil, is relatively manageable if you have proper shooting techniques (assuming you are in reasonable health condition especially related to joints, i.e no arthritis) . Proper grip is the key, but proper stance is also important in controlling recoil. Are you an experienced shooter?

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Really never had a problem with recoil in mine. Pretty managable and accurate for me.

(Montgomery County)

Shooting in some form for better than 25 years. I was a more practiced shooter, expenses of life got me away from it for about 5 or 6 years. Recently, upon the urging of my wife, I got back into it. I am by no means a competition shooter and was always better with a rifle, but from 20 feet and in I can get it done. I bought the 27 as both a "toy" and as a carry piece. It is a Gen 3 that I bought used, but from the looks of it it doesn't appear to be too "used". I can handle the recoil, I've had some of the haven't shot in a while muscle soreness, but just wondered if I could lessen it for quicker reacquisition and ease of use. At the start I was having some accuracy issues, but I was told they are are trigger related, as this is my first Glock and they "tend" to cause that for first time Glock owners, but I am taking my time and working that out, so she'll live in the safe until I get more repetition.

(Allegheny County)

Not much you can do, the 23's and 27's are just tougher to shoot. Given that .40 has almost no advantage over 9mm you can see why you see more 27's used over 26's.

You can get a better grip with an extended mag but that will only go so far, they are just harder to shoot.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain4 View Post
    Shooting in some form for better than 25 years. I was a more practiced shooter, expenses of life got me away from it for about 5 or 6 years. Recently, upon the urging of my wife, I got back into it. I am by no means a competition shooter and was always better with a rifle, but from 20 feet and in I can get it done. I bought the 27 as both a "toy" and as a carry piece. It is a Gen 3 that I bought used, but from the looks of it it doesn't appear to be too "used". I can handle the recoil, I've had some of the haven't shot in a while muscle soreness, but just wondered if I could lessen it for quicker reacquisition and ease of use. At the start I was having some accuracy issues, but I was told they are are trigger related, as this is my first Glock and they "tend" to cause that for first time Glock owners, but I am taking my time and working that out, so she'll live in the safe until I get more repetition.
    Ahhh...I see. Thanks for the clarification. I carry a G26 and consider myself to be an experienced shooter, but I have to say that I find the G27 snappy recoil rather unpleasant.

One option is to get a 9mm conversion barrel and mags to shoot 9mm out of your G27. Lone Wolf makes them, but you really need to shoot/test extensively to ensure 100% reliability. Many organizations/companies don't allow employees to use converted barrels because the fear that they may not be reliable. Lone Wolf claims that only 1% of their conversion barrels are affected by low powered 115gr ammo: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Ahhh...I see. Thanks for the clarification. I carry a G26 and consider myself to be an experienced shooter, but I have to say that I find the G27 snappy recoil rather unpleasant.

One option is to get a 9mm conversion barrel and mags to shoot 9mm out of your G27. Lone Wolf makes them, but you really need to shoot/test extensively to ensure 100% reliability. Many organizations/companies don't allow employees to use converted barrels because the fear that they may not be reliable. Lone Wolf claims that only 1% of their conversion barrels are affected by low powered 115gr ammo: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

Al
    I was going to post this very thing^^^^^^ I have a lone wolf conversion barrel and love it.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

Forward facing thumbs and rolled shoulders. Do a youtube search for Dave Sevigny Glock Grip. It will help.
    Jules

(Allegheny County)

And the reason why there are 3-4 G27's in the classifieds for sale at any given moment just became apparent...

They are snappy given the relatively low weight of the firearm and recoil characteristics of 40.

The 26 on the other hand is a little floaty given the short sight radius, but a lot less of a handful than the 27. Even with higher pressure loads. At least that is my experience. (I have the 26). A conversion barrel might be in order if you just can't get past the unpleasantness of 40 in a smaller gun.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the feedback. I am not complaining about the recoil, I just want to improve my effectiveness with it in anyway that I can. I will tell you that this isn't the worst kicking .40 that I've owned. Back in the late 90's I bought a Keltec p40, that was a "snappy" little gun, but it sure was easy to carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast