Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Thompson Center G2 or Encore.....

I am thinking about a long range pistol and have been looking heavily at a Thompson Center.

I owner a Contender in the past in a 7-30 Waters caliber and I regretfully sold it. I am not considering a .223 but was wondering from those who may be more familiar with the newer models.

Would you go with a G2 or an Encore model? I am trying to determine what might be more useful in the future when it comes to buying barrels and adding calibers.

Default Re: Thompson Center G2 or Encore.....

Go Encore.

The G2 Contender model is just a mini Encore. The Encore can do everything a G2 can do and much more.

Walt

(York County)

Depends. The encore can accept larger calibers and is stronger than the contender frame. The contender has been around longer and has a bigger used market for barrels and custom/wildcat rounds where you mostly see rifle or carbine barrels and calibers for the encore. Really just depends on what you want to do with it. I own both, use the encore for big bore rifle and the contender for pistol length barrels.

(Allegheny County)

Personally I would be making my decision between an Encore or a old style Contender frame. I'd pick the Encore if I wanted to be able to used the 308/30.06 class of pressure and case head size cartridges. The Contender frame (old style or G2) do not have barrels in those calibers available. In Contenders I prefer the old frame as the trigger is so much better. If you decide on an old style frame try to get the "easy open" frame.
    The Lord Bless You

(Butler County)

i have never used the encore but i do own the standard and the g2, i like the g2 better, the angle of the frame is different and it is better, for me on recoil of the heavier shooting rounds.