Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Are the added safeties on most of the Tokarevs really that bad?

I am considering a tokarev purchase. In my information gathering, I have read that most of the Tokarevs available for purchase in the US have had safties added in order for them to be imported to the United States. The exception to this appears to be the Yugoslavian m57's which have the safety already. Those seem nice but I was wondering how the the other tokarevs compare to Yugo model regarding the safety as well as other potential problematic issues I can try to avoid. I will probably be looking to make a purchase at the next Eagle Arms show at Split Rock in November, unless anyone knows a better deal/location for one in the lehigh valley/poconos area.

Thanks!
    ...and they have a plan...

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Are the added safeties on most of the Tokarevs really that bad?

The yugo Tok is the nicest of the bunch the safety is mounted at the rear like it would be on a 1911. They are nice shooters as well . for the money that they go for it's a decent reliable gun. Brian / EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Cumberland County)

I have a m57 - nice piece, safety is what it is. A bit crude but functional. I thought the M 57's were add ons too ? I might be wrong. They are great shooters and a powerful round. Love mine! Good luck whichever one you choose.

(York County)

cruzans is correct, the M57 safety is an add on. However, Zastava took the time to add a proper safety before exporting them.

I own an original non import marked 1940 Tula Tokarev and the M57 is right up there with the Russian as far as fit and finish is concerned.
    I want your vz.33

(Columbia County)

I have a 1954 Romanian TTC with the add on safety above the mag release, a bit tricky to get used to but it works never had it discharge while engaging it.

Some places on the net had people having the pistol fire when they put the safety on, not mine just check it in person.

Oh, and I'd use ear protection when ya fire it lol mine with bulgy surplus sounds like a 357mag goin off with a muzzle flash to go with it, very very fun gun
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(York County)

romanian compliance safeties can be problematic, leading to stopped trigger, etc. if you buy a romanian take the damned thing off before it gets you killed.

I wouldn't worry as much about the safety as much as the firing train geometry. The original TT-33s don't use floating firing pins like many of today's handguns...that means it's longer than the firing pin channel.

Later Tokarev imports had shorter pins in an ad hoc attempt to "convert" them into floating firing pins. Apparently the mass ratio between the hammer & firing pin is right on the edge of what works, and what doesn't. Many shortened pins had erratic discharge problems -- sometimes they'd fire, sometimes it took two or three attempts.

• Test 1: (firing pin length) With the Tokarev unloaded, put an empty mag in it & pull the slide back to lock it rearward. Take a Popsicle stick or small screw drive and press the firing pin until it's flush with the slide. With the firing pin flush, check for firing pin protrusion at the chamber breechface. If the pin's protruding, it's probably the original length.
    • Test 2: (rebounding hammer operation) Make certain the hammer, in the released position, cannot move forward against the slide. Do not pull the trigger during this test. If it can, there's a possibility of a discharge if the Tokarev falls and the hammer is hit. Nope. Not rebounding.

If you have a full length pin & a non-rebounding hammer, avoid carrying a live round in the chamber.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; October 9th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Thank you all for the info. I think I mistook the m57's well placed hammer safety ala the colt 1911, as being the exception to the more simpler and possibly awkward looking trigger safeties. Apparently some of the tokarevs had the safety added by the import company here and some had them added in their country of origin.

Good point about the firing pin. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    I wouldn't worry as much about the safety as much as the firing train geometry. The original TT-33s don't use floating firing pins like many of today's handguns...that means it's longer than the firing pin channel.

Later Tokarev imports had shorter pins in an ad hoc attempt to "convert" them into floating firing pins. Apparently the mass ratio between the hammer & firing pin is right on the edge of what works, and what doesn't. Many shortened pins had erratic discharge problems -- sometimes they'd fire, sometimes it took two or three attempts.

• Test 1: (firing pin length) With the Tokarev unloaded, put an empty mag in it & pull the slide back to lock it rearward. Take a Popsicle stick or small screw drive and press the firing pin until it's flush with the slide. With the firing pin flush, check for firing pin protrusion at the chamber breechface. If the pin's protruding, it's probably the original length.
    • Test 2: (rebounding hammer operation) Make certain the hammer, in the released position, cannot move forward against the slide. Do not pull the trigger during this test. If it can, there's a possibility of a discharge if the Tokarev falls and the hammer is hit.

If you have a full length pin & a non-rebounding hammer, avoid carrying a live round in the chamber.
    Ackk! This is what happens when I try to pull exact details from an inexact mind.

OK, first...Tokarevs are NOT rebounding. Scratch #2. Also, the portion of the hammer that hits the firing pin is recessed, so it's not easily accessed in the last portion of travel.

Here's a faster test that works better. Find a small shaft that easily passes through the bore. I used a #2 Ticonderoga pencil. Gun unloaded -- slide the pencil, eraser end first, down the barrel until it stops against the breechface. Point the pistol upwards, close or at vertical. Next, gently pull the hammer back about 1/8" or so and slowly release it. Don't allow the hammer to freely slam down. If you see the pencil move at all, there's a significant possibility of discharge if it's dropped with a round in the chamber.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Ackk! This is what happens when I try to pull exact details from an inexact mind.

OK, first...Tokarevs are NOT rebounding. Scratch #2. Also, the portion of the hammer that hits the firing pin is recessed, so it's not easily accessed in the last portion of travel.

Here's a faster test that works better. Find a small shaft that easily passes through the bore. I used a #2 Ticonderoga pencil. Gun unloaded -- slide the pencil, eraser end first, down the barrel until it stops against the breechface. Point the pistol upwards, close or at vertical. Next, gently pull the hammer back about 1/8" or so and slowly release it. Don't allow the hammer to freely slam down. If you see the pencil move at all, there's a significant possibility of discharge if it's dropped with a round in the chamber.
    Thanks for the education update. I will take all the tips I can get!

The m57 seem a little more user friendly than the Romanian tok. It looks like the Romanian tok has a different recoil spring that looks like it is a little trickier to field strip. All in all, I guess that's minor compared to the other things I need to know and check.