Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Made an unexpected AR purchase

I've been casually looking at ARs for a while now thinking that I'd eventually get one if I saw the combination of features that I wanted at a good price. I'm not interested in building one for my first AR. I knew I wanted a flat top with a 1:7 twist and no A2 front site (knowing that I'd need flip ups). The problem is the only one I could find under $1000 (though they are usually a good bit more than $1000) was the SIG M400 SRP (sight ready platform) though no one seems to have them. Some online dealers had been selling a basic Palmetto State Armory M-4 profile carbine length flat top with A2 front sight with the best current price being Grab-a-Gun at $684 shipped.

Strangely enough PSA didn't seem to be selling their own complete rifles on their site, just the parts. I was almost resolved that I'd eventually have to get one with the front sight (I know it can be removed but I didn't want to have to mess with the gas block myself or pay for a gunsmith to "fix" a new rifle) until PSA posted some weekend sales on Friday. After going to the Oaks show on Saturday and confirming what I already figured was a good package at a good price combined with an unsure looming election I ordered one last night. I wouldn't consider it a panic buy but I suppose the election did play a part (now I just need an AK).

Here's the summary of the package:

16" barrel length
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist
    Chrome Moly Vanadium barrel
    Chrome lined barrel
    Forged upper and lower
    Magpul front and rear BUS
    12" Midwest Industries SSG2 Free Float Rail
    Magpul MOE grip, trigger guard, stock, and PMAG
    Lock
    Case

details:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...e-carbine.html

The weekend deal price was $799 + 15 shipping and I'll pay $25 for the transfer so final price is $839. PSA was also selling the "basic" M4 package for $699. The way I figured it the rail and Magpul extras were worth about $250-$300 (I did price out the pieces) so if you add those to the $699 "basic" rifle you'd be near $1000 (or over it with shipping and transfer) so I figured $839 was good. The sale ended today at noon and the price is now $899. Thoughts?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Made an unexpected AR purchase

For $799 I think you did very good. Could you have built it cheaper? Sure, but you didnt want to. I think you got a good deal for $799, especially considering it has everything you want. Good buy and let us know how she shoots!
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Centre County)

I've been very happy with both of my PSA rifles, a mock dissipator and a carbine, and a third is in the works. If you can stomach their long build and shipping times (on rifles), you'll be one happy camper. Personally, considering the ridiculous prices I've been seeing on AR rifles over the past few months, you got a great deal......

Last edited by FLICK; October 9th, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Montgomery County)

Yeah, I just felt like it was a good deal when I first saw it and going to the Oaks show just sold me on it more. I'm not normally a fan of the FDE stuff but that's a nice rifle! They basically warned it would be 15 days at least before it was built and shipped and I'm fine with that since I was only casually looking for one in the first place. Now I'm going to need mags, ammo, red dot... ouch. I'm thinking I'll probably just stick with Pmags since I've heard good things and I like that they have the removable dust cover on them. What kind of red dot do you have on that? I'm playing with the idea of a red dot and flip to side magnifier.

(Centre County)

It's a Vortex SPARC. I really like it and it's my second vortex red dot (I have a Strikefire on my M&P 15/22). Primary Arms frequently has them on sale and they come with different bases to mount at different heights, depending on what kind of co-witness you want/need. I have a Primary Arms brand red dot on another PSA rifle, and while it is nice, I prefer the Vortex. The PA red dot has the emitter at the 4:00 position and messes with the sight picture when using back up sights. Currently, PA doesn't have their red dot in stock.....

My opinion, of course....

edit; SPARC on the left, Primary Arms red dot on the right on an American Defense quick release (both are PSA rifles)

Last edited by FLICK; October 9th, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Montgomery County)

Primary Arms and Vortex were both on my radar already as being good value optics. I'm not too worried about co-witness. It's one of the reasons I didn't want the fixed front site. If I want it I can flip it up. If I don't I can flip it down. If the zombies are coming and I'm out of batteries I can flip it up, etc. My interest in a magnifier come from the likelihood that most shooting will be done from a bench at 100 yards and I'm not sure if I'll enjoy shooting at 100 yards with no magnification for long periods of time. I missed out on a Vortex Strikefire a couple months ago. PSA had them for $120 shipped but I didn't order since I didn't have anything to put it on.

Now my concern is to figure out the differences between all the "types" of red dots and which is best for me; i.e. scope types like the strikefire, micro types like the sparc or PA micro, holographic types like eotech, or the non-holo reflex types like burris, and of course the umpteen million clones of each they have out there. I briefly looked at a couple of "cheaper" brands at the Oaks show and they all look and feel decent but prices vary widely. I'm going to have to do some research. As much as I love this site as a source of info the optics forum isn't the most well posted to.

(Lackawanna County)

Vortex are a gear red dot. I have a couple strikefires and pull thousands of rounds down range without any problems. Lifetime no questions asked warranty and hold zero perfectly. Stay away from Barska and other cheap red dots they are not comparable to vortex or PA.

How submersible is the Vortex?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lackawanna County)

I don't know I never felt the need to jump in my pool with my ar lol. I believe the official rating is do no submerse it. Mine has been exposed to pouring rain and heavy snowfall and no issues. If I needed it in a spec ops situation I would buy the aimpoint for sure! There is a difference in a $150 optic vs a $500 one for sure. On the upside they are NV compatible.

(Lehigh County)

Try some Lancer magazines as well. I really like them. Polymer body with metal feed lips. They feel a lot better than PMAG's. They are made in Folgelsville PA too. They run about $20 per mag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast