Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Wanting to learn to reload but what do i need ?

You will need at a minimum the following:

Brass (must be boxer primed)
    Bullets
    Powder (burn speed must match caliber)
    Primers
    Reloading press
    Dies for the caliber you want for reload (may need tamper crimp die too)
    Priming tool or attachment for press
    power scale and powder measure or volumetric dippers
    Powder funnel is a good idea
    Case tumbler or sonic cleaner (you can use dirty cases, but they can get stuck)
    case lube (only needed to bottle neck cases or for non carbide pistol dies)
    Chamfering and Deburring Tool (only absolutely necessary for center fire rifle)
    Trimmer (only absolutely necessary for center fire rifle)
    Reloading manual or formulas from the Internet, you can get free formulas from the power manufactures. If you call them they will send you free manuals for there powders.

I started with a single stage Lee press, cheap and it works, even though I've moved up to a few different progressive presses over the year, I still have it and use it to teach the NRA reloading courses.

You can also take a look at the excellent guides here in this site.

Two ways to quickly get started, lets say you want to reload 45 ACP:
    - Option #1: pick up a single stage Lee press, Lee RAM prime or hand priming tool, Lee 45 acp dies (comes with the factory crimp die), the lee dies come with a dipper power measure while at the store open the Lee die box and look at the reloading instructions, pick a power they have in stock that matches the volume of the measure listed in the table, while you are at it look at the bullet weight and type in the table too. Now pick up 1lb of the power you picked from the table and 100 bullets of that weight making sure you match the bullet type as in lead or jacketed (be aware that cheap plated bullets are not jacketed as use a different formula). Pick up some large pistol primers. If you do not have fired brass cases, you will need a bag of those. At this point you have everything you need, mount the press and follow the directions.

- Option #2: pick up a single stage kit (Lee, Hornady or RCBS) I currently use Hornady, but all three are good quality. The kit will come with everything you need. There is a reloading manual in the kit. If you don't want to wait until you get home and make another trip to the store either pull out the manual or look at another one in the store. In the manual look up the caliber and bullet type you want to reload and pick a power they have in stock that matches the formula listed in the table plus 100 bullets of the weight you selected from the table making sure you match the bullet type as in lead or jacketed. Pick up some large pistol primers. If you do not have fired brass cases, you will need a bag of those. At this point you have everything you need, mount the press and follow the directions.

If you want to reload 9mm or 38, change out the dies and pick up small pistol primers. Same can goes for rifle, but you will need lube and rifle primers.

Once you get started and sucked into the world of reloading you'll want to check out progressive presses.

(Lackawanna County)

Great info! Thank you!

(Adams County)

any of you that want to learn nere gardners pa.? you could come and i could show you on my set up. the lyman reloading manuals have a chapter on reloading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12