Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default *Need Support*: New student 2A group - Building momentum to fight campus policy

I'm a senior student at Slippery Rock university, in the early stages of forming a Right to Keep and Bear club at Slippery Rock University on campus.

Had our first meeting last week, and are almost ready to file paperwork to get the group officially recognized by the University.

Then, with coincidental timing, Oct 5th a new weapons policy was announced:

SLIPPERY ROCK, Pa. - The Slippery Rock University cabinet has approved a policy prohibiting weapons in University owned or operated buildings, except for those authorized to police.

The policy came about as a result of a mandate from the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education board of governors to develop a systemwide, consistent approach to weapons on campus.

Norton has initiated a comprehensive review of all University policies. She has tasked the University's vice presidents to review policies related to their areas and bring them to cabinet for institutional review. The plan is to have the policies eventually posted online for easier access.

The text of the weapons policy follows:

UNIVERSITY WEAPONS POLICY

POLICY

The possession or carrying of any weapon by any person is prohibited in academic buildings, administrative buildings, student residence buildings, dining facilities, recreational facilities, student centers, or while attending a sporting, entertainment, recreational or educational event on the university's property. Entry into these buildings, in violation of this prohibition, will result in the individual being directed to remove the weapon immediately from University property.

PROCEDURES

Definition of Weapon: For purposes of this policy a weapon includes, but is not limited to, any firearm, shotgun, rifle, knife, cutting instrument, bow, nunchaku, BB gun, paintball gun, and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

Authorized Exceptions: Certified and sworn police officers employed by the University Police Department and sworn and certified municipal, state, federal police officers who carry proper identification or U.S. military personnel in the performance of their duties are exempt from this policy. Current employees of the University, and authorized contractors, utilizing tools or other field/office instruments in the performance of their duties are also exempt from this policy.

Notification of Use of Replica or Prop Weapons: Due to the risk of being identified as a real weapon, any item which looks like a weapon and is used for any purpose on University property must be reported to and approved by the University Police Department prior to use in any activity. Examples of such activities include official ROTC military exercises, color guard, intercollegiate athletics, class instruction or presentations, dramatic plays, and similar artistic events.

SANCTIONS

Violation of this policy will result in the individual being directed to remove the weapon immediately from University property. Failure to comply with such directive may result in further disciplinary action for students or employees.

RESPONSIBILITY FOR IMPLEMENTATION

Slippery Rock University Police

SCOPE OF POLICY COVERAGE

This policy applies to all students, faculty, staff and visitors to the University.

Authority for creation and revision:

The chancellor and the respective university presidents are responsible under Act 188 of 1982 to provide a safe and secure educational environment and are authorized to establish policies governing the use of University facilities and property.

Approved by the University Cabinet: 8.12.12

I'm having trouble digging up the older policy to compare it with, but there don't appear to be any really drastic changes.

I'd appreciate some input on the new policy, and any points of interest to you, if you enjoy tearing apart stuff like this.

I seem to recall some talk about state funded universities and the issues of them infringing on the 2nd amendment. Are there grounds for a lawsuit here?

You guys are all a great asset, and if there are any influential people locally, or someone who has a handle on how to approach something about this, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: *Need Support*: New student 2A group - Building momentum to fight campus policy

One point of interest to me is this :

SANCTIONS

Violation of this policy will result in the individual being directed to remove the weapon immediately from University property. Failure to comply with such directive may result in further disciplinary action for students or employees.

Notice the end of the last sentence only mentions students and employees. Why does it not mention people who are not students or employees? Because they have no legal authority to regulate such a thing, and there are no laws being broken, only policy. Therefore, I believe they have no authority to demand or even ask anyone to remove a weapon from the property, and they know it. If they had the authority, they would take disciplinary action against anyone carrying on campus property. They only hold a large stick over the heads of students and employees.

On a side note, I open carried around Bloomsburg University campus, and inside several of the buildings, without any interaction with campus police. I know several students working in the sports/fitness complex saw me and noticed my firearm, because they became suddenly quiet for a few seconds.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: *Need Support*: New student 2A group - Building momentum to fight campus policy

Definition of Weapon: For purposes of this policy a weapon includes, but is not limited to, any firearm, shotgun, rifle, knife, cutting instrument, bow, nunchaku, BB gun, paintball gun, and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.
    Got a pair of scissors? An Exacto knife or scalpel for art or science class? A stick pen? A baseball bat? A cast iron frying pan? They all fit the school's definition of a "weapon." Remember, it doesn't have to be designed to inflict harm, just be capable of inflicting harm.

(Westmoreland County)

I know someone who was in the special forces black ops. He doesn't speak of it much, other than he faught against some in the Al-Queada (or however you spell it). He flat out told me that he learned that just about anything can become a lethal weapon in a pinch, even air itself can be turned into a weapon. Guess all the students will have to be hermetically sealed in a perfect vacuum to attend classes....

Also if you read the policy nothing said in there indicates that they'll press legal charges, only that you'd be told to remove the firearm from they're property
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Northampton County)

IANAL but these weapons policies make the colleges less safe not safer. The state of PA in its wisdom left out colleges and universities when it crafted our weapons laws, I think they did that so people could carry. We already have a hand full of colleges in the US that do allow firearms. Let the schools show you all the crimes committed on campus with those firearms.

(Pike County)

You might also point out that many schools have rifle and shotgun teams.

(Erie County)

I would start with contacting groups already in existence at other schools, maybe start a national club.
    Next, remind University officials that EVERY mass shooting happened in a "gun free" environment, and that denying law abiding, responsible gun owners the right to defend themselves, does not make anyone safer, and in fact usually creates a "free fire" zone and a higher death toll.
    There are examples of "carriers" stopping shootings, just do a little searching.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Check out Students For Concealed Carry. They are the group behind the lawsuit that got campus carry passed in Colorado.

(Chester County)

I will say that the new policy (if it is truly PASSHE-wide), offers some small improvements to West Chester's current policy. It clearly does NOT prohibit carry/possession on property outside of buildings, and doesn't prohibit someone leaving a firearm in their car.

It would also seem to allow LEOSA carry - something that has been denied to those who asked at WCU in the past.

While not much of an improvement, it does indicate that they are looking at the rules.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast