Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Having trouble "pulling the trigger"

...so to speak on a custom 1911. I am looking at buying a very purpose built bulls eye 1911. I have been saving extra cash for nine months. Within an upcoming pay or two, I will have reached my goal and be able to order the pistol. I have suddenly become "rational family guy" and realize that that amount of money would be much better spent on house upgrades or the kids' college funds. How about twisting my arm a bit so I snap out of this funk....
    Thanks,
    Jules

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Having trouble "pulling the trigger"

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    ...so to speak on a custom 1911. I am looking at buying a very purpose built bulls eye 1911. I have been saving extra cash for nine months. Within an upcoming pay or two, I will have reached my goal and be able to order the pistol. I have suddenly become "rational family guy" and realize that that amount of money would be much better spent on house upgrades or the kids' college funds. How about twisting my arm a bit so I snap out of this funk....
    Thanks,
    Jules
    You budgeted and saved for it - go for it! If you were dipping into household bill money or your kids college fund that would be one thing - if you save to treat yourself to a nice firearm that will appreciate in value - don't try to talk yourself out of it - you deserve it. ( wait, am i giving you that advise or is it really for me ) Go for it !

(Montgomery County)

Buy a Les Baer 1911 and say that you got it at a steal compared to what is offered by Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, etc. You'll feel better...I know I did. I went with the Thunder Ranch Special.

(Montgomery County)

+1 for what Cruzan said. You saved up for it on your own outside of the family funds.

I held a nighthawk custom grp recon at my LGS the other day, so honestly go out to a store and hold the gun you've been wanting to get. That damn nighthawk is in my mind now forever... it was so shiny and pretty. I'm waiting on a life goal now before I commit to it, but it's only a matter of time.

You're already "rational family guy" because you saved your extra pennies rather than buying what you wanted when you wanted it.

The house will always need some forum of fixin'. You'll never escape that as long as you're a home owner.

Buy the gun without feeling guilty. You saved for it, you earned it, you deserve it.

(Allegheny County)

If you're unsure, keep saving. Pretend that you didn't reach your goal while you think about it.

Make sure, absolutely sure it's what you want. Exactly what you want. And if it is. Buy it.

Take some of the extra money you saved and throw it towards the house / college etc. Then you can be guilt free.

(Lackawanna County)

what i tned to do is save until i have double set aside for the price. Then I pay for it on the credit card collect the reward points and then pay it off as soon as the balance posts. My wife likes to vacation so the reward points can be used towards that.

I spent two years (back in the day, that is) riding and practicing with second hand motorcycles (for racing in hare scrambles) that were 1/4 the price of a new one. Only when I decided I liked the sport well enough did I invest in a new machine with the absolute necessary upgrades it needed to be competitive in that form of motorcycle racing. If you're new to BE shooting, you can use any hand gun that is moderately accurate to get acquainted with the discipline. You will want the true BE machine for competition or for winning all the "day at the range" matches. It could be for self satisfaction, even. BE also requires the best of ammo, which is expensive by itself. Shooting WWB out of a BE machine expecting to cover a silver dollar 50 yds out ain't gonna happen. I'd take my most accurate pistol and get as good with it as you can and if you want to really stretch the limits of your shooting skills, then go for the BE machine.

I've been shooting BE for nearly 11 yrs. My primary BE gun is a SA Loaded LS, but I also use a modified PT 1911 and an HK USP Elite. The difference in group sizes is negligible, and for my own satisfaction, I can happily live with it. Until you can get the most out of what you already shoot (your gun on a ransom rest produces 2.5" groups at 50 yds...you should be darn close to that, off hand), you may be better with home improvment, unless of course, you just want the gun for the "bling".
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Washington County)

When you say "CUSTOM" what are you referring to?

There are three levels of "Custom"

Kimber, Springfield, S&W, Sig, etc.: will run you $1000-ish

Les Baer, Lou Volkmann, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk Custom, etc: $2800 - $3000-ish
    (Les Baer has custom guns as low as $1905.00)

Or some lesser known REALLY custom pistols by Bill Laugheridge at Cylinder & Slide, from $2900 - $5000-ish, and Ned Christiansen at Michiguns, up to $5000-ish, and local to Pittsburgh, Cabot Guns, $5000-ish.

Personally, I bought a Kimber, but I am seriously considering either an Ed Brown, or a Les Baer.

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Thanks,
    Jules
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

If you have saved the money for the gun, you are not dippin in the house hold or college funds, you have planned months ahead to get something for you. It's less then a Wilson or Ed brown but damn near as nice, its the gun of your dream. As the old saying goes what is a man without a dream, make your dream come true. As long as you have been shooting you can make the best of it ain't nothing like pulling your target back and seeing swc cookie cutter holes the size of a quarter or dime even. Now I've never seen that past 25 yards but at 15 and 10 I have (chest stuck out) ;-).

But with your Les Bare I bet you can!!!! Buy it.
    Last edited by Neko456; October 5th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast