Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No firearms signs that aren't no firearm signs

Have you ever seen one? I am going back to take a picture but I was dropping paperwork for a client at Mercer County's General Assistance (the place where you get food stamps I believe).

I was conceal carrying and there was this rather wordy (took up a whole 8x11 sheet) warning regarding the use of firearms, I just assumed it meant no firearms. I quickly glanced at it and went back to my car to disarm.

On my way out, I read the sign again. It basically was just a warning that if you brandish a knife, gun, toy gun, etc. they will prosecute. You have to love these common sense warnings, kind of along the lines that shoplifters will be prosecuted...what a waste of space.

Has anybody every encounter such a sign?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: No firearms signs that aren't no firearm signs

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    Have you ever seen one? I am going back to take a picture but I was dropping paperwork for a client at Mercer County's General Assistance (the place where you get food stamps I believe).

I was conceal carrying and there was this rather wordy (took up a whole 8x11 sheet) warning regarding the use of firearms, I just assumed it meant no firearms. I quickly glanced at it and went back to my car to disarm.

On my way out, I read the sign again. It basically was just a warning that if you brandish a knife, gun, toy gun, etc. they will prosecute. You have to love these common sense warnings, kind of along the lines that shoplifters will be prosecuted...what a waste of space.

Has anybody every encounter such a sign?
    Aspen Dental has a small blue one that looks like an ad for their business. It's about 4"x4" on the door and has no symbols, just words. You would never know what it was if you didn't read it.

(Westmoreland County)

Whole Foods in Pittsburgh.

Has a small sign that says in effect "Ask us about our weapons policies"

Funny story. I used to just ignore it, until one day my wife and i were shopping and my wife became cold (she didn't have a jacket) so I offered her my jacket. However I had my 24/7 on my hip... I went to ask CS their policies (never saying I had a firearm). They called the shift manager who told me that open carry is not allowed, and that it I CC, I have to identify myself to the security guard(or shift manager in a guards absence) who will examine my arm and authorize it for carry in the store.

I thanked him for his explanation and walked back to my wife and told her I couldn't give her my jacket due to their no-OC policy.

Funny thing, like out of a horrible spy/comedy movie, the security guard was following us around the store for the rest of the 1.5 hours we were there. And I am not imagining it. He was ALWAYS a little bit down the aisle, or around the corner and kept throwing looks at us when he thought we weren't paying attention.

He never said a thing to us. Just followed us acting like he was inspecting the food from time to time.

Question, am I required to comply with their policy of notifying them?
    This space for rent.... to Conservatives.

They have stupid signs in Texas as well!

(Montgomery County)

The Gallery in Philly. Which you pass thru on the way to the Market East Station. And the sigh said

8. The carrying of any weapon, other than by an authorized law enforcement or security officer, is not permitted.

(Erie County)

unless its an official building...how can someone claim they can hit you with a felony for having a weapon in their establishment.
    live to ride

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjp View Post
    unless its an official building...how can someone claim they can hit you with a felony for having a weapon in their establishment.
    I don't know about this state but I have lived in places that carrying a firearm into a building that has a no carry sign, is considered "Felony Trespass".
    This space for rent.... to Conservatives.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasbalddog View Post
    I don't know about this state but I have lived in places that carrying a firearm into a building that has a no carry sign, is considered "Felony Trespass".
    Other states don't count. This is Pennsylvania (it's in the forum's name). What counts are Pennsylvania laws, most notably Section 912 (K-12 schools) and 913 (court facilities). Anything else is relatively immaterial.

(Berks County)

Saw the same thing in Austin last week. I need to spend 12 weeks there for a project and will bring my carry weapon with me.

So, as a PA/UTAH LTCF holder - does that make me "Licensed" possession and therefore - Good To Go?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasbalddog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Other states don't count. This is Pennsylvania (it's in the forum's name). What counts are Pennsylvania laws, most notably Section 912 (K-12 schools) and 913 (court facilities). Anything else is relatively immaterial.
    Not entirely true. If a private property owner has a "no weapons" policy, and it's been communicated to you, either through request or signage, and you refuse to leave the premises or adhere to the policy, it's possible you can be charged with Defiant Trespass.

This has been discussed numerous times over the years here, with the best summaries being given by GunLawyer:

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/18...ml#post2132268

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/18...ml#post2132586

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...ml#post2105084

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ml#post1841198

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/466...tml#post592621

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/270...tml#post351331

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/257...tml#post339576
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast