Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default what is the diff. between LTCF and CCW?

I'm looking into getting a pistol and I've been reading and searching alot but can't find the answer. If i get my LTCF from my local gunshop does this allow me to carry concealed or openly? Also what is required to get a CCW permit? I've been reading alot of legal jargon and I find it quite confusing. Could someone lay it out in Lehman's terms? Also i plan to take NRA basic, the next NRA class after that (can't remember the name), and a CCW class. any help would be appreciated and try not to flame me too bad .

Also any reccomendations for places to take these courses at in the mechanicsburg area?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: what is the diff. between LTCF and CCW?

Each state calls its 2A-usurping "license" or "permit" something different. In Pennsylvania, the only license that exists is the License to Carry Firearms, or LTCF.

In PA, a LTCF enables you to 1) carry a handgun in a vehicle; 2) carry a handgun concealed; 3) carry a handgun in Philadelphia; 4) bypass the Federal Gun-Free School Zone act and be able to carry within 1000 feet of a K-12 school and, arguably, on and in the school itself; and 5) carry a firearm during an official state of emergency.

These LTCFs are granted by the sheriff of the county. I don't know how you would get one at the local gun shop, unless they are just providing you with the paperwork that you must then take to your sheriff. LTCFs are "shall issue" in PA and do not require training, which means that as long as you can fill out a form and don't have any felonies or drug convictions in your background, the state must grant one to you.

Now, there is always the option of legally carrying without a LTCF in Pennsylvania. However, to meet the legal requirements, you must openly carry the handgun (i.e. not conceal it), you cannot be within Philadelphia city limits, and you cannot enter a vehicle with it loaded. You must also stay outside of the 1000 radius around K-12 schools, and some might say that you can't transport an unloaded handgun in a car without a LTCF unless going to and from a range, gunsmith, etc... though the latter is indeed a gray area.

ETA: BTW, welcome to PAFOA!
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    I'm looking into getting a pistol and I've been reading and searching alot but can't find the answer. If i get my LTCF from my local gunshop does this allow me to carry concealed or openly? Also what is required to get a CCW permit? I've been reading alot of legal jargon and I find it quite confusing. Could someone lay it out in Lehman's terms? Also i plan to take NRA basic, the next NRA class after that (can't remember the name), and a CCW class. any help would be appreciated and try not to flame me too bad .

Also any reccomendations for places to take these courses at in the mechanicsburg area?
    Hello. Here's some help for you.
    Pennsylvania has nothing called a CCW permit. What you need to carry concealed, in a vehicle or carry openly in Philadelphia is a LTCF, License To Carry Firearms. The ONLY place to apply is your local sheriff's office, a gun shop has nothing to do with this.

You may carry openly while walking, with gun in a holster not concealed, anywhere in the state without any license at all, except in Philly. Once you get in a vehicle OR cover the pistol with clothing, it is concealed and you need the LTCF. Even with the pistol exposed openly while sitting in a vehicle, it is considered concealed because it is inside the vehicle.
    Cumberland County sheriff, firearms division:
    http://www.ccpa.net/cumberland/cwp/v...=1148&Q=479370
    Last edited by HiredGoon; March 9th, 2008 at 02:13 PM.

(York County)

hey thanks for the info guys! and thanks for the welcome.

Also there are some restrictions on carrying concealed or openly in state parks and national parks. And carrying concealed or openly in a K-12 school seems to be a gray area legally, but not advised.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Also there are some restrictions on carrying concealed or openly in state parks and national parks. And carrying concealed or openly in a K-12 school seems to be a gray area legally, but not advised.
    Oh, and the big one is courthouses... though court facilities are required by law to provide safe storage for one's firearm(s) while one is in the facility. That's pretty much the only place carry is explicitly banned by Pennsylvania statute...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Delaware County)

From this page on the PAFOA website:

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...oncealed-carry

Obtaining a Pennsylvania LTCF

The process for obtaining an LTCF in Pennsylvania is excellent due to the fact that the process is very thorough in making sure that permits are not granted to people that may be irresponsible or pose a danger to others (minors, convicted felons, domestic abusers, etc.) while making it very simple for trustworthy, law-abiding people to obtain one quickly and cheaply.

Pennsylvania LTCF's are available to both residents and non-residents and are valid for 5 years. For residents, the applications are handled by their county sheriff's office, with the exception of Philadelphia where they are handled by the Gun Permits & Tracking Unit of the Philadelphia Police Department. It should be noted that permits issued by one county must be honored by all counties including Philadelphia regardless of rumors to the contrary.

The actual application process itself is very simple and consists of acquiring an application, and a passport-sized photo, filling it out, paying the fee (which can vary from county to county) and submitting it. In some counties (such as Philadelphia) the application must be submitted in person and they may do a quick and basic interview. Once the application is received the entity responsible for handling it will do a background check on you and generally verify who you are. They may contact the references you have provided on the application although many times it will not be necessary. Pennsylvania is a "shall-issue" state in regards to LTCF's, meaning the entity processing your application is required to approve it unless they can prove you are disqualified based on the law. This is very important to prevent localities from simply denying people based on political, or prejudicial biases. Additionally by state law the application must be approved or denied in 45 days (although some offices will use "business days"). Again, this is done to prevent localities from claiming they issue permits, but never actually processing them for political or prejudicial reasons

autotech6506...some other things to keep in mind.

Signs at businesses prohibiting guns carry no legal weight; meaning you are legally allowed to carry. However, if an owner or employee sees your weapon and asks you to leave, you must leave at that point or you could be arrested for trespassing.

Some states prohibit carrying in places that serve alcohol, PA does not have this restriction.
    Of course common sense says that you should not carry a gun while intoxicated.

Carrying in a post office seems to be a gray area, if you feel you want to carry there, keep it well concealed. Same advice for carrying in a bank, well concealed, although I have read on this forum that some have carried openly in a bank.

Your PA LTCF also lets you carry in other states. See here:
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Also a lot of sheriffs and police do not always give accurate advice on carrying firearms, so always check here on this forum for the correct answers

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    These LTCFs are issued by the sheriff of the county.
    Fixed it for ya'.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Carrying in a post office seems to be a gray area, if you feel you want to carry there, keep it well concealed. Same advice for carrying in a bank, well concealed, although I have read on this forum that some have carried openly in a bank.
    IMO, recent changes to postal regulations have made the "gray" much darker (see this thread).

I have open carried more than once at the branch of my bank where I do the majority of my transactions. I am recognized and known by the employees there. I would be less likely (at least at this point) to open carry when entering a branch I have never been to before.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

A point I haven't seen mentioned yet, you have to be at least 21 to purchase a handgun and to apply for a LTCF. Your profile doesn't show your age, so I thought I'd toss in this info.

Welcome to the PAFOA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast