Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Can a WCO request to see my LTCF?

I'm not sure on this one. Does a WCO have the authority to request to see my LTCF? If so under what circumstances? For example if I'm heading out or in from a hunt, and I'm at my truck can they request my permit. I'm thinking not. The law says I must show my permit under lawful demand of a LEO.
    I wouldn't think a WCO falls under that description. Am I incorrect?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Can a WCO request to see my LTCF?

i bet you would have to if they suspected you committed a game violation

(Franklin County)

Since a LTCF isn't required to legally hunt, possess or transport 'hunting devices', I would question what the purpose for such a request was. I did however find some case law that seems to confirm that WCOs are considered law enforcement.

In Commonwealth v. Himes, Brian Himes challenged the legality of a WCO (Waterways, not Wildlife, in this case) to stop him for DUI. The arrest and resulting evidence was surpressed because "they may not conduct stops for violations of the Motor Vehicle Code unless they have completed the entire course of instruction specified at 37 Pa. Code § 203.51."

However, this was a limited exception to the wider held provision that "WCOs are authorized by statute to stop and arrest for any violation of law classified as a felony or misdemeanor".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

To hunt with a firearm, you need either a LTCF or a Sportsman Permit. I don't think that it is unreasonable for a WCO to ask to see either if he sees you wearing a pistol, or unloading one for example. You did not provide enough information. Under what circumstances would this be asked? Did he see your firearm? I understand your question could be merely hypothetical.
    Jules

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    To hunt with a firearm, you need either a LTCF or a Sportsman Permit. I don't think that it is unreasonable for a WCO to ask to see either if he sees you wearing a pistol, or unloading one for example. You did not provide enough information. Under what circumstances would this be asked? Did he see your firearm? I understand your question could be merely hypothetical.
    Jules
    Do you mean "firearm" as defined by the UFA (ie - not my .22 rifle)? I believe it's perfectly legal to hunt with a 'long gun' with only a hunting license. No Sportsman's Permit or LTCF required.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Jules
    don't answer questions if you have no clue what you're saying.......... that's not true at all - either that or not at all clarified.........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

Jules
    Well ultimately I would like to explore multiple scenarios. As I said under what circumstances, if any, would a WCO be authorized to request my LTCF.

For simplicity lets assume no game law or criminal law has been violated.

Let's say a WCO sees my revolver while I'm gearing up.
    Let's say a WCO sees my Glock while I'm gearing up.
    Let's say a WCO sees either while I'm gassing up.

I don't think this question has been asked yet, and since we can now carry any weapon legal with a LTCF I think this should be explored at some length.

BTW I assume you did mean that a LTCF or Sportsmen’s permit is required
    to possess a firearm permitted by the permit as opposed to one legal for hunting.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lebanon County)

Jules
    If you are open carrying a revolver for hunting, you do not need anything but a valid hunting license.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    don't answer questions if you have no clue what you're saying.......... that's not true at all - either that or not at all clarified.........
    I appreciate all opinions and although jules statement was not totally correct he usually seems to have it right and likely just assumed we knew what he meant.

A better approach might have been:

gnbrotz Do you mean "firearm" as defined by the UFA (ie - not my .22 rifle)? I believe it's perfectly legal to hunt with a 'long gun' with only a hunting license. No Sportsman's Permit or LTCF required.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuckslayer View Post
    If you are open carrying a revolver for hunting, you do not need anything but a valid hunting license.
    Might want to re-read the UFA. I hope you walked to your hunting grounds and didn't get into a vehicle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast