Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Self Defense - NW PA

I have had a LTCF for a little over 5 years and have never had any formal training other than my hunter safety course when I was 12. My wife has been ho humming around the idea of getting her LTCF also and I thought that it might be a nice idea to go to a self defense class together (romantic date, hu?).

Any good courses offered in the Sharon/Hermitage area? I live in Cranberry Township as of now, but will be relocating soon.

Also, I'll kill two birds with one post and ask if anyone has a nice gun club in the area that either doesn't need sponsors or you yourself are willing to sponsor myself.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Self Defense - NW PA

I am on the board at Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club. PM me about becoming a member.

We also have lots of training opportunities available.

BVRPC.org

Ashton

(Mercer County)

Thank you ever so much, Ashton! After reading my post, I realize I wasn't clear, but I am looking for something closer to the Sharon/Hermitage area.

Again, thank you.

(Northampton County)

Check out the NRA web site and lookup some of the local courses in your area.

If you are already comfortable with shooting you can start with the NRA Personal Protection in the Home course. The Personal Protection Outside the Home course should be your goal. In addition as part of the NRA curriculum the instructor must bring in a lawyer for part of each course to discuss the legal aspects of personal protection.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPACC View Post
    ...Any good courses offered in the Sharon/Hermitage area? ...
    This may be a bit more advanced than you want but consider the HG 201 course from Lethal Weapons Training Academy http://www.lethalweaponstraining.com/

Bob holds that particular class at his outdoor facility just off of I-79 (take the Sandy Lake Exit near Clarks Mill) which isn't too far from Sharon. This is not a beginners class, it is for someone that already has been introduced to shooting and basic safety. You might want to consider it for next summer after you get through a basic handgun course.

Goodluck.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Venango County)

Here's a good club in that area. They have indoor and outdoor ranges: http://www.pardoesportsmens.com/

Here's a good trainer in that area: ctate45@verizon.net
    Last edited by jkm; October 16th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Recommend checking out this group -- typically, these courses are held in Monroeville, but it is worth the drive.

http://www.fireinstitute.org

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonPACC View Post
    (romantic date, hu?).

Jason
    Actually, my first trip to the Gunsite Training Center was a date. My girlfriend and I went out for basic courses (she took 250 pistol, with a revolver, and I took 223 carbine). That trip changed our lives.

For one thing, it was on that trip that we fell in love. We got married a couple years later.

For another thing, it was on that trip that I realized anybody can learn this stuff, and everybody should.

Tony Ferrazzoli is running a one-day hand gun class in Pittsburgh on October 28. You are about 45 minutes away, unless you are moving in the next week or so. It is just the basics of handling and presenting a hand gun. Very low pressure, non-competitive, and basic. It also gives participants the opportunity to handle and fire a variety of hand guns, so they can better decide what works for them. It's posted on the FIRE Institute web site.

PeterG

(Mercer County)

Im in the Sharpsville / Hermitage area.

There are many local places offering gun safety courses. Most gun shops or ranges can give you info or have classes scheduled by need. I have taken courses from http://www.lethalweaponstraining.com/ they are out of Erie, PA well just south of it really.

Sharon has a public range, Elite Firearms has a small indoor range in Hermitage, Greenville has White Oak Shooting Club (which I am a member of) and Hidden Valley Sportsmen Club in West Middlesex. Those are the main ones I know of close by. I am sure there are a few more I may of missed and I know of Pardoe Sportsmen's Association out past Mercer on 62.

Hope this helps some. I am also willing to meet up and talk or hit the range on a weekend. I try to get out atleast once a month.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    Actually, my first trip to the Gunsite Training Center was a date. My girlfriend and I went out for basic courses (she took 250 pistol, with a revolver, and I took 223 carbine). That trip changed our lives.

For one thing, it was on that trip that we fell in love. We got married a couple years later.

For another thing, it was on that trip that I realized anybody can learn this stuff, and everybody should.

Tony Ferrazzoli is running a one-day hand gun class in Pittsburgh on October 28. You are about 45 minutes away, unless you are moving in the next week or so. It is just the basics of handling and presenting a hand gun. Very low pressure, non-competitive, and basic. It also gives participants the opportunity to handle and fire a variety of hand guns, so they can better decide what works for them. It's posted on the FIRE Institute web site.

PeterG
    great you found a hobby together
    live to ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast