Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Can I take my AR-15 hunting?

I have been searching all over the internet for a difinative answer to this question. Im am looking to hunt deer with it, but I would like to hunt other game with it too. I heard that it can be used in certain areas of PA. I own a Bushmaster DCM-XR. Let the flame war begin, . Thanks guys.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Can I take my AR-15 hunting?

Hunting with any semi-automatic rifle is prohibited in Pennsylvania. You can't even shoot the groundhogs in your soybean field with a semi-auto. Yes, it's stupid, and archaic.

(Lancaster County)

Can't do it right now, but this is a VERY good time to start getting in touch with your PA House and Senate people and make it known to them that you would like to be able to do so. Local level politicians don't hear much from individuals too often so developing a relationship with them can carry a lot more weight than is usually thought. I too want to be able to hunt with my AR's and PSL and if we could get the law changed I would probably sell my bolt and lever guns b/c a semi is a lot more fun to shoot all year round where manual stuff just ties up my money uselessly.

Here's where you look up your legislators: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...ator/index.cfm
    Last edited by Yellowfin; October 3rd, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

Manually operated firearms only. Peruse the hunting digest for rules applying to hunting with firearms. There are no parts of pa that you can use a semi-auto firearm for hunting.

(Lancaster County)

Semi auto shotguns are perfectly fine so long as it's a 2 shell capacity in the mag +1 in chamber (complies w/ federal law for migratory birds), it's only rifles and pistols they're weird/superstitious/antiquated/mentally deficient about.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lawrence County)

Yes. You can hunt with a semi-automatic rifle in Pennsylvania that isn't closed to any other rifles, using a 5 round magazine.

Are you left or right handed?

Chop the other hand completely off. Have fun!

Some things aren't worth the price of admission... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Montgomery County)

To the OP...NO!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Semi auto shotguns are perfectly fine so long as it's a 2 shell capacity in the mag +1 in chamber (complies w/ federal law for migratory birds), it's only rifles and pistols they're weird/superstitious/antiquated/mentally deficient about.
    This is true for birds, but not deer.

For deer, manually operated rifles and shotguns only, UNLESS you're in a special regs area. In those areas, semi-auto slug shotguns are allowed, with no magazine restriction.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Murvok View Post
    I have been searching all over the internet for a difinative answer to this question. Im am looking to hunt deer with it, but I would like to hunt other game with it too. I heard that it can be used in certain areas of PA. I own a Bushmaster DCM-XR. Let the flame war begin, . Thanks guys.
    Quit searching "all over the internet" and go to www.pgc.state.pa.us or better yet look in that free book they give you with your license.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Bucks County)

I think we can turn this thread into a large movement to legalize semi-automatic firearms for hunting. I am starting another thread in the Law Section/Pennsylvania. I also contacted two senators and a member of the HOR. I hope you can all show your support. Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast