Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question Suppressed hunting

I had an interesting conversation with someone at work yesterday that merits effective resolution. He wasn't previously aware that cans were legal in PA at all, even after having been a gun owner (albeit "casual" you could say) for a few decades. Upon some brief educating, he still insisted that he wasn't sure they were legal to hunt with here. Someone said in the background, "Yeah well they may be legal to own but you can't use them." How do I prove this to him by pointing to something specific that can be verified?

Ordinarily I wouldn't care but he's pretty open minded to anything that can be proven as fact and he's quite influential in selling guns and other sporting goods stuff locally. Bringing him over to our side would net us a very valuable asset.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Suppressed hunting

http://www.cdsarms.com/hunting-with-suppressor/
    Check out the above link! Also at the end of that page is a PDF attachment put together by gem tech in April of this year with state regs for all 50 states.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    http://www.cdsarms.com/hunting-with-suppressor/
    Check out the above link! Also at the end of that page is a PDF attachment put together by gem tech in April of this year with state regs for all 50 states.
    Wow, now I'm excited that somebody actually took the time to read something on my website.

In a nutshell: In PA, if it isn't explicitly illegal, it's legal. No firearms law or game regs state you can't hunt with a can. So have at it.
    Last edited by cds_arms; October 3rd, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Monroe County)

The Gemtech link is current as they have AZ and TX listed and they just joined the suppressed hunting bandwagon this year.

(Northampton County)

I don't know anything about hunting in PA, so you can look into this yourself if you feel it is worthy.

There was a thread here a few years ago about this question. I think something was stated that although it is legal, under game laws the firearms you are allowed to hunt with are the types that are specified. It's not a matter of being able to hunt with anything that isn't mentioned. Silencers are not specified. It was recommended by a senior bunny cop that you request a $5 permit to use it just as a CYA in case you are challenged in the field by somebody that doesn't understand.

Again, I don't know anything about this personally.

If you can't find the thread it might be in the General forum with the Rotz'd threads.

EDIT: Oh, here is the thread:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/196...html#post18275

Almost everybody said it is legal but one guy was told to get a special use permit because:

"PA Game Laws Sec. 2322. Prohibited devices and methods.
    (a) General rule. - Except as otherwise provided in this title or commission regulation, no person shall hunt, kill or take or attempt, aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt, kill or take any big game, except wild turkey, with any of the following devices or methods:

(6) By any other method or device which is not specifically authorized or permitted by this title or commission regulation."
    Last edited by ungawa; October 3rd, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

(Chester County)

I can't wait for the day when cans on firearms are as accepted as mufflers are on cars
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Lancaster County)

so i can buy a tax stamp and buy suppressor for my 7mm mag and it is legal to hunt with said suppressor in PA????!!!!!!

I needs to know if it is true or false...... 5 characters or less

then i need to know a gunsmith in lancaster who can thread a 7mm mag barrell....

(Armstrong County)

I have asked a number of WCOs and have been given pretty much the same answer.
    As long as the weapon is legal to hunt with in PA, then you are good to go.

PowerPM, as far as threading your barrel.
    I am going to assume it is a sporter barrel on the 7mag.
    This will be pretty difficult to get the correct threading on the barrel due to the diameter needed for the proper caliber suppressor vs the diameter of the barrel.
    You may be able to rig up an adapter, example thread the barrel 1/2x28 and use a 1/2x28 to 5/8x25 adapter.
    But then you are adding one more link in the chain of tolerances. Some guys are okay with that, im not a fan. But the option is out there.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50