Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best ammo for Ruger MkIII Competition

I am just in the process of buying a Ruger MKIII competition, this is my first .22 pistol and need to get ammo. A couple of people have told me to buy boxes of 100 rounds for a couple of different manufacturers and try them. I would prefer to buy bulk ammo so would appreciate anyone who has experience and can provide some guidence on this.

(Bradford County)

Default Re: Best ammo for Ruger MkIII Competition

I went through the process of trying out a boat load (probably 10 different types) of different .22 ammo for a target gun and the two best shooters for me was Eley 10x and Wolf's target .22 ammo. I went with the wolf stuff but that was a while ago and the price has steadily increased. IIRC, the wolf ammo was being manufactured out of Germany but I dont know if thats still the case. Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Joel

Yes someone else told me wolf was a good choice, but a little expensive - $50+ for 500 rounds, although cheaper than my 9mm. I was told CCI was a good alternative to wolf..

(Lancaster County)

To me the point of a .22 is they are cheap and fun to shoot, so the wolf type of target match ammo is out of the question at $60 per brick. I like the CCI Blazer the best for price/performance. I have shot a box or two of wolf and my groups were a bit tighter but like I said not worth the money to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    To me the point of a .22 is they are cheap and fun to shoot, so the wolf type of target match ammo is out of the question at $60 per brick. I like the CCI Blazer the best for price/performance. I have shot a box or two of wolf and my groups were a bit tighter but like I said not worth the money to me.
    Agreed, hence the question... I got the .22 for practicing target shooting and will be going through lots of rounds, but I want something that will be good for target shooting but inexpensive. I have been waiting to get this gun for a while and now want to go shoot it. but I don't want to end up buying 500 rounds that continually jam becuase I saved a few bucks...

(Lehigh County)

CCI mini mags will give you good performance at a reasonable price point. The Wolf Match Target 22lr will definately yield better groups but at a higher price. If you are capable of shooting one hole groups with a .22 hand gun, by all means use the wolf. Federal 550 bulk packs from Wally World or CCI blazers are fine for general plinking too. Step up to the CCI mini-mags for better performance and use the Wolf for when you need lazer-like accuracy.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by spaideas View Post
    Step up to the CCI mini-mags for better performance.
    Rick
    Actually about $30 for 500 is a perfect price point so I may just go with these for general use and given they are a somewhat higher quality should be a good start. I am assuming that 40grain would be recommened?

(Lehigh County)

If you find that you really like the CCI mini-mags, Walmart has 1600 round cases in plastic ammo cans for $98.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by spaideas View Post
    If you find that you really like the CCI mini-mags, Walmart has 1600 round cases in plastic ammo cans for $98.

Rick
    Really... guess a trip to walmart is in order...

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by chiblue View Post
    I am just in the process of buying a Ruger MKIII competition, this is my first .22 pistol and need to get ammo. A couple of people have told me to buy boxes of 100 rounds for a couple of different manufacturers and try them. I would prefer to buy bulk ammo so would appreciate anyone who has experience and can provide some guidence on this.
    Standard velocity ammo will generally give better accuracy. It also is better for the pistol as most .22 pistols are blow back operated and the energy over and above what is needed to cycle the action is transferred to the frame. The Ruger is a well built pistol and will take a lot of hammering but, IMHO, why hammer it more than needed by using high velocity ammo verses standard velocity? The link below will take you to some tests I ran some time ago with High Standard pistols at 50 yards. As you see, the SK Standard Plus (pretty much the same as Wolf) averaged 1.3" groups @ $50 for 500 rounds verses CCI Standard velocity coming in at 1.9" average @ $28 per 500. The Rugers shoot as well. Is the cost worth it? Your call.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...light=accuracy

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by saleen322; October 3rd, 2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast