Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Any one here ever go elk hunting in Colorado?

I'm planing a trip to Colol in 2009 and looking for reccomendations. Any of our mrmbers here ever been to colo for elk hunting. I'v already researched a few outfitters and the liscence draw system, fees and what not. So I just want to know if anyone here has done it? Did you have a good time?.

Thanks.

BB
    3%

(Centre County)

Default Re: Any one here ever go elk hunting in Colorado?

My wife is from NW CO (north and west of Steamboat Springs), about 3 hours by car from Denver. I hunted elk (in the 70's and 80's) on her fathers ranch. If you get a license you can't go wrong by getting a good guide or outfitter, it will really help because they know the areas and as such will increase the probability of a successful hunt. We go back to CO every 2 years or so to visit her mom (93 yrs old last year) and friends. They don't have the ranch anymore but there are good outfitters up that way. If I can find the time I'll try to get some names and pass them on. Beautiful country up that way.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Any one here ever go elk hunting in Colorado?

My dad and I went out about 10 years ago; as a birthday present. We flew into Colorodo Springs and drove to the southeastern part of the state. We stayed in the town of Silverton and hunted in several areas around there.

This was in muzzleloader season. The weather went from frigid in the morning and on the shaded side of mountains to t-shirts in the afternoon sun. We didn't get an outfitter, but this wasn't my dad's first trip to the area. We also had several others staying with us that had been there before so we kind of had inside information. It is a beautiful area.

The Silverton-Durango railroad is probably the most known attraction near there. Kind of touristy, but several neat shops. We spent our last afternoon just kicking around town.

Have fun and good luck!!