Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gun purchase and CYS

I am new to handgun ownership, primarily for target shooting.

A few weeks back I purchased a Ruger SR9 and have been taking training from friends and NRA courses, and enjoying it immensely. A couple of weeks back my son (age 7) was being bullied when asked in front of the other kid about the bruises, he got scared and told them his Dad hit him, This was not the case. But CYS got called in and I have been investigated, CYS told me that it was unfounded but I have not got the official report yet, they take a LONG LONG time. I am considering getting a Ruger22/45 but have a concern about getting one at the moment. Can someone tell me if this CYS thing will affect my background check. There was no restraining order or court action involved and it has been deamed as I said unfounded, but I am not sure if waiting for the unfounded report to be filed is needed?

Sorry for being long winded but great site, the forums were of great help when I was looking to buy my first handgun.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Gun purchase and CYS

Talk to a lawyer. C&Y have a ridiculous amount of power and even without actual proof can make your life hell.

There used to be a group in the Poconos called heads held high to support innocent parents from the removal of kids from the home for no reason.

thanks, I have been consulting with a laywer. I guess innocent until found guilty does not apply with these people.
    Last edited by chiblue; October 1st, 2012 at 04:16 PM.

(Montgomery County)

CYS can be difficult to deal with and can easily violate people's civil rights if they are not careful. I have handled cases against CYS. If you know anyone who may have had their rights violated by CYS, please feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by chiblue View Post
    I am new to handgun ownership, primarily for target shooting.

A few weeks back I purchased a Ruger SR9 and have been taking training from friends and NRA courses, and enjoying it immensely. A couple of weeks back my son (age 7) was being bullied when asked in front of the other kid about the bruises, he got scared and told them his Dad hit him, This was not the case. But CYS got called in and I have been investigated, CYS told me that it was unfounded but I have not got the official report yet, they take a LONG LONG time. I am considering getting a Ruger22/45 but have a concern about getting one at the moment. Can someone tell me if this CYS thing will affect my background check. There was no restraining order or court action involved and it has been deamed as I said unfounded, but I am not sure if waiting for the unfounded report to be filed is needed?

Sorry for being long winded but great site, the forums were of great help when I was looking to buy my first handgun.
    I can see how if no criminal action was taken, did a police officer visit your house?

No, there was no criminal investigation or police visit, just an interview with the CYS rep. Maybe I did not explain myself, I purchased the SR9 prior to the CYS thing, I am not sure if I should go get the 22/45 now or wait until I get the report back. As I said there was no criminal investigation, no court order or any restraining orders. I am just concerned becuase I know if I try to buy the gun and it is refused, the next time this goes against me...
    Last edited by chiblue; October 1st, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

(Lawrence County)

There are three options: unfounded, founded and indicated.

If it was unfounded, it's like it never existed. You should be fine.

Save your money on the lawyer.

Lycandon'tworrythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Erie County)

i used to beat the piss out of my kids.....and amazingly they are disciplined...well adjusted and successes in society....(ok...i only spanked them 3 times then explained why) and CYS and i had many many discussions about their misguided "philosophy's" and everything i was ever accused of was unfounded... never had an issue purchasing a weapon. (and ps...i can contribute the primary reason for having to purchase weapons is because of individuals that did NOT get appropriate discipline in their youth...thanks to CYS and parents that didn't care)
    live to ride

During the interview they asked me, do you spank you children, I replied yes I do and those parents who don't are part of the problem with this countries youth. They did not like my answer, but told me that spanking your children is NOT illegal in PA, no matter how they personally feel about it...

One of the main reasons for the handgun was to educate my kids on safe handling and use of weapons, who knows when some other kid will pull one out and they need to know how to react...

By the way the lawyer is a friend, he went through the same when his son fell out of bed in the night and cut his head on the bedside table, so he hates these people for the crap they put him through, and it was bad...

Thanks, for the help, and advice... I feel more at ease getting the gun... this is new to me being a new gun owner, I did read the law relating to this and could see nothing, so long as there is no conviction or court order against you owning weapons. It is good to get some informed specifics..
    Last edited by chiblue; October 1st, 2012 at 09:48 PM.

My concern here is that I hate the COLD and CYS can take 60 days to send thier report, which means that I could be in November when they finally get around to it. Like I said I have the cold and would like to get some shooting in with a .22 before then.

Would it be wise to purchase the gun prior to the report being completed and filed, or would it be better to wait until after that. My problem is I do not understand what the status of it is before completed. I know once unfounded it basically is fine... but what is the status before the report?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast