Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Grips for the Rossi 720

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently aquired a Rossi 720 .44 special which is a great gun, however I'm not crazy about the grips. I've searched every way possible trying to find different grips for this gun but haven't found what I want yet. On one of the youtube videos a guy has Hogue grips on his but Hogue doesn't list any Rossi grips at all. I'm assuming that the grips were made for either a S&W or the Taurus and they work for the Rossi. Does anyone know what model Hogue it would be?

Thanks for any help.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Grips for the Rossi 720

Try a set of grips for a roundbutt K-frame Smith & Wesson.

I too have a 720, and all I've been able to find for grips is that some folks are saying K-frame grips will often work, but sometimes need some fitting.

I personally would buy the cheapest K-frame grip first as a test model to see if it works or how much work it needs - then buy a more desired set.
    Last edited by knight0334; October 1st, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Try a set of grips for a roundbutt K-frame Smith & Wesson.

I too have a 720, and all I've been able to find for grips is that some folks are saying K-frame grips will often work, but sometimes need some fitting.

I personally would buy the cheapest K-frame grip first as a test model to see if it works or how much work it needs - then buy a more desired set.
    Are you sure it's a round butt? I think mine is a square butt. I will have to buy a couple pairs and try them out. I was hoping someone already did that though.

(Jefferson County)

Hmmm.. just took my grips off..

Yeah... Looks like a half-asses cross between round and square.

If you're looking to go with a Hogue grip, that one in that video attaches at the bottom with that clamp thingy they use. So there isn't any worry about a screw interfering with the mainspring.

K/L is definitely the size of the gun. Typically a square butt grip will have the back strap exposed, which in that video the entire metal frame is within the grip.

Who knows though what kind of fitting was performed on getting that Hogue to work. Could have been a round butt grip that he hogged out on the inside to fit the Rossi's semi-square butt.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Hmmm.. just took my grips off..

Yeah... Looks like a half-asses cross between round and square.

If you're looking to go with a Hogue grip, that one in that video attaches at the bottom with that clamp thingy they use. So there isn't any worry about a screw interfering with the mainspring.

K/L is definitely the size of the gun. Typically a square butt grip will have the back strap exposed, which in that video the entire metal frame is within the grip.

Who knows though what kind of fitting was performed on getting that Hogue to work. Could have been a round butt grip that he hogged out on the inside to fit the Rossi's semi-square butt.
    That's kind of what I was guessing as well. Without seeing it in person I can only assume there was some "fitting" that took place with those grips. I think I'm going to try K frame square butt Hogues and see how they work. I don't want loose ill fitting grips so if they don't work I will try something else. Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how they work out.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
    That's kind of what I was guessing as well. Without seeing it in person I can only assume there was some "fitting" that took place with those grips. I think I'm going to try K frame square butt Hogues and see how they work. I don't want loose ill fitting grips so if they don't work I will try something else. Thanks for your help and I'll let you know how they work out.

If it ends up being a little loose you can use hot glue or something else to "re-bed" the Hogue grip to the handle.

Watch out on the left side of the gun. "Comfy" type grips are known to interfere with speedloader use on J and K frame sized revolvers. Even my factory grips impair the use of speedloaders.

(York County)

I can't believe noone has put different grips on one of these.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
    I can't believe noone has put different grips on one of these.
    Since you are not content with the gun you should sell it to me. That was the first gun I bought in the mid 90's and I traded it off due to the ammo cost. Now that I reload I have been casually watching for another one.

Seriously go to taurusarmed.com there is a lot of love for the 720 there. They have a seperate forum for the Rossi guns. Someone will be able to help you out.
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
    Since you are not content with the gun you should sell it to me. That was the first gun I bought in the mid 90's and I traded it off due to the ammo cost. Now that I reload I have been casually watching for another one.

Seriously go to taurusarmed.com there is a lot of love for the 720 there. They have a seperate forum for the Rossi guns. Someone will be able to help you out.
    I did check out Taurusarmed a little bit after I googled the 720, but maybe Ill check back over there a little closer. As far as sending it to you, I thought about it and I think I'm gonna hold onto this one. There is something pretty great about a 5 shot .44 special and I don't forsee this one going anywhere anytime soon.

(Allegheny County)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast