Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Thoughts on Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact

Ok, I'd like some honest and concise opinions on the Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact. Looking for real world experience and subjective opinions. Not the "all Taurus is crap" stuff please! lol. I'm a Springfield guy. Love my XDs, but looking for a "cheaper" compact with decent firepower. I cant get comfortable with the super thin subcompacts. And yes I've shot most of them. I really like the look and feel of the G2, not to mention several of the features. But a gun is only good if it goes bang everytime. I have heard nothing but good reports of the G2 so far. Just looking for a little more feedback.

Thanks!

Default Re: Thoughts on Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact

I own 6 G2's, all 9 mm, none are the compact. Only Two of them so far have more than three hundred rounds, but none have malfunctioned, once. I purchased them to help newbies learn the basics of shooting. No one has yet to tell me they didn't like the way the gun felt, but with due respect, most of the people I have worked with never shot a pistol, before, so they don't know what to look for. Fortunately, I have shot a few rounds and know what I like. The G2 does everything it is supposed to. It has a trigger you can fight with and is a decent target trigger. It is super accurate off of a rest (ten rounds at 7 yds looks like a 12 ga. slug hole). I only use WWB 100 round value pack ammo and never have trouble with it. I will admit that before I even take a new gun to the range, now, I make sure the mag followers are deburred, the feed lips are adjusted correctly, and the frame lets the slide go back and forth with no hang ups. I do not try to break a gun in by shooting it because I hate the aggravation, and hate wasting ammo, and hate taking the mags in and out to clear jams. I think the G2's I have would have shot well right out of the box. I cannot find any negative rep with this pistol.

As far as the compact, I have only shot one (literally one). As with other compacts that have the little grip; not my cup of tea. The top end of the compact is the same as the full size, so function will be the same. I think Taurus's CS has improved, and trust me, I talk to them on occasion. I buy Taurus because they are great guns for the money, and I am a cheap skate. My thoughts on the G2 is if it were over $400 like the Pros I bought were, I'd still buy them. Only the HK P30 or HK 45 have a better grip, IMO. I'd fight with any one of them I own. Two LEO acquaintances of mine carry one as a BUG.

I am a fan of Taurus because they offer a lot for not a lot. I'd only suggest that if you get one and experience a poor CS situation, be patient with them; not all their reps speak English well. They will take care of any problems you have.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepjamie View Post
    Ok, I'd like some honest and concise opinions on the Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact. Looking for real world experience and subjective opinions. Not the "all Taurus is crap" stuff please! lol. I'm a Springfield guy. Love my XDs, but looking for a "cheaper" compact with decent firepower.
    Well, since you did ask for subjective opinions.... From what I can find, the Taurus runs maybe $40 less than an XD compact. For only a 10% difference in price, why wouldn't you stick with what you like?

Quote Originally Posted by renalp View Post
    Well, since you did ask for subjective opinions.... From what I can find, the Taurus runs maybe $40 less than an XD compact. For only a 10% difference in price, why wouldn't you stick with what you like?
    The G2 is $370 all day. I haven't seen an XD under $500. Where are new XD compacts selling for $410?

(Adams County)

Thanks so much for the feedback. Nice to know the reviews are true to some real world experience.

As for the XD, I have been looking for an XD40SC, and the cheapest I have found it $485.00. I can pick up the G2 for $362.00 and free shipping. Transfer of $10.60 through Albright Arms in Carlisle and I'm out the door for more than $100 less. That buys a nice carry holster and more GoldDot ammo. Otherwise I woudl definitely buy the XD40SC as my carry weapon.

I want one it probably going to be my next purchase. Trying to decided if I should go 40 s&w or 45acp. The 40 s&w would be nice in that I could share mages with my g1 Pro 24/7 Long slide in 40. But I do like the 45acp round I reload so cost of ammo wouldn't be that much a factor.

I'm very impressed with the G2 24/7 and 800 series guns, because the G1 is such a good gun and I think the G3 is even better.

(Adams County)

Yea I'm partial to the 40 just due to cost and capacity. I like think its a good comprimise between the 9mm capcity and the 45 "punch". Just my thought. But I am very impressed with the new "800" series. Seems well made. I am going this week to look at the G2 compact. So if it feels good I think I'm gonna give it a try!

(McKean County)

My step-dad has a 24/7 compact. I don't know if it's a G1 or G2 but it is a nice little gun. I was there a few months ago with my 24/7 G2 long slide and was really impressed with how well his handled and at the accuracy it had. His is a 40 and mine is a 45. Even with the longer slide and more weight my 45 packed a bigger kick and I found with his 40 it was much easier to pull off quick follow up shots and still be on target. I would recommend one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepjamie View Post
    But I am very impressed with the new "800" series. Seems well made.
    Got 4 of these as well, in 9mm (809B). Think of one as a 24/7 Pro with a hammer instead of a striker. Anyway, the 840 has a noticeable amount of muzzle flip over the 809, but it is still controllable, or at least what I consider controllable. Never shot the 845, but it looked like a decent handful just watching a newbie shooting one. By no means am I afraid of recoil, I just try to decide what I can shoot fast and still be fairly accurate. I had 2 of the long slide 24/7 Pro's (OSS DS) in .45, but sold them to fund my 1911 collection. The 1911 is definitely more controllable than the OSS DS, but for a Taurus plastomatic, it was wonderfully accurate. 4" clays 55 yds out were no match for them with target ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by mittelmeier View Post
    My step-dad has a 24/7 compact. I don't know if it's a G1 or G2 but it is a nice little gun. I was there a few months ago with my 24/7 G2 long slide and was really impressed with how well his handled and at the accuracy it had. His is a 40 and mine is a 45. Even with the longer slide and more weight my 45 packed a bigger kick and I found with his 40 it was much easier to pull off quick follow up shots and still be on target. I would recommend one for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I had 2 of the long slide 24/7 Pro's (OSS DS) in .45, but sold them to fund my 1911 collection. The 1911 is definitely more controllable than the OSS DS, but for a Taurus plastomatic, it was wonderfully accurate. 4" clays 55 yds out were no match for them with target ammo.
    I posted this bit on the wrong post. It was supposed to go here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast