Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Flying to Florida - need advice about flying with a firearm

Looks like I'm going to have to go to Florida very soon. I'll most likely be flying down and back. I'd hate to leave my gun at home, especially since I'll be fairly close to where the Wendy's just got shot up. How bad is it to declare a firearm when flying, and is it kept on the Dl? I'll be flying with three people, none of which know I carry, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Any advice, tips, or experience you can share will be very appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Flying to Florida - need advice about flying with a firearm

When flying with a firearm there are several things to keep in mind.

First, go to your airline's website find their policy on firearms (Sometimes mixed in with sporting equipment) and print it out to take with you (in case they give you any grief) - prepare to follow it to the LETTER.

Also, get yourself a Center of Mass gun safe or other LOCKING, HARD SIDED container for the pistol.

Delta's procedure is this: They require you to declare the firearm at check-in, demonstrate to the ticket agent that it is unloaded, and then sign a tag stating that it's unloaded. The tag is then locked inside the case with your firearm, which is then secured in your checked baggage. The bag with the firearm is then treated like any other bag and sent through the baggage handling system. It is not marked in any special way nor treated any differently.

When I fly with Delta, I unload and lock the chamber of my my Glock 22 open then place it and two magazines into the gun safe BEFORE I leave my car in the lot and enter the airport... Both magazines out of the gun and the "extra" round tucked under the foam liner. By doing this, all I have to do at the ticket agent's desk is open the safe, point to the empty chamber, sign the tag and lock it back up again.

I've never had an issue flying on Delta with a checked firearm - but as always YMMV.

(Berks County)

Are the mags loaded when you pack them? Or is the extra round the only one in the case?
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

(Northampton County)

From past experiences with airlines losing and destroying my luggage, plus the stories you hear about thefts from checked luggage, I would be afraid to let my pistol go with the checked luggage. I had always assumed that there was some sort of secured carry-on luggage process, but maybe not?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnKos View Post
    Are the mags loaded when you pack them? Or is the extra round the only one in the case?
    Yes, the mags are loaded and locked in the case with the firearm.

(Bucks County)

You can't travel with rounds in the magazines, and you definitely can't travel with loose ammo. It must be packed in the original box, or an otherwise suitable container. Your airline's webpage will provide specifics. Check out my similar thread here: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...vel-today.html

Good luck,

Chris
    Last edited by chrisaka; March 9th, 2008 at 02:15 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    From past experiences with airlines losing and destroying my luggage, plus the stories you hear about thefts from checked luggage, I would be afraid to let my pistol go with the checked luggage. I had always assumed that there was some sort of secured carry-on luggage process, but maybe not?
    Are you kidding me? There is no way in HELL you could EVER take a firearm on board in your carryon these days. Period. the boggest reason; it's illegal to take one into the so-called "sterile" part of the airport.

I use a Center of Mass Gun Safe and wrap the security cable around one fo the framing members of my suitcase, so it can't be stolen.

As for baggage bing lost, I think they do a damn good job considering the volume of baggage handled these days!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaka View Post
    You can't travel with rounds in the magazines, and you definitely can't travel with loose ammo.
    This is directly contradictory to my experience flying on Delta.

I had two fully loaded magazines, 1 loose round (Albeit tucked under the foam of the case) and my G22 all in the same locked case and they had no problem with it.

(Bucks County)

along the same lines, does anyone know what kind of carrying restrictions there are in Florida for someone with a pa permit? I'm going to Miami in a month and don't want to do anything that will get me arrested, lol.
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    This is directly contradictory to my experience flying on Delta.

I had two fully loaded magazines, 1 loose round (Albeit tucked under the foam of the case) and my G22 all in the same locked case and they had no problem with it.

You may have gotten away with it, but it's definitely against their regulations. I found this out the hard way with US the first time I checked a firearm, and ended up having to discretely throw away a bunch of JHP 9mm.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...oods/index.jsp

One item of shooting equipment is accepted as your free checked baggage allowance.

When checking a firearm, you must:

* Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm (If a Security Checkpoint is prior to the Delta ticket counter, you must declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel.)
    * Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
    * Lock the firearm(s) in a hard-sided, crush-proof container and retain the key or combination
    * Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
    * Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes

Firearms transported to the United Kingdom as checked baggage require a permit from the United Kingdom. The passenger must contact the United Kingdom for more information regarding this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains incendiary projectiles is prohibited.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast