Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Law Enforcement grade ammo

Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but is law enforcement defined ammo not permitted to be sold to the regular shooter here in PA?

I called around some of my local gun shops looking for gold dot JHP 180g in .40 the guy on the phone asked me if it was for LE or self defense... Which is a question I was never asked before, ever.

I said defense and asked is that a law here in PA? He said yes we can't sell you any ammo that is for law enforcement or law enforcement grade. He also said if I was with LE he would have to discuss that with his manager because only a select few vendors in the area carry the LE gold dot ammo....

Another shop I called never questioned the issue at all, which is what I expected.

Is this guy totally off or I have I just not heard of this? I also though speer gold dots are gold dots, I didn't know they had different types like some of the other ammo out there I have seen.
    Last edited by Glock_23; September 30th, 2012 at 01:11 PM.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Law Enforcement grade ammo

wow....never heard of that
    live to ride

(Lackawanna County)

I have some in my safe bought in pa he is full of it

Quote Originally Posted by Glock_23 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance on this matter, but is law enforcement defined ammo not permitted to be sold to the regular shooter here in PA?

I called around some of my local gun shops looking for gold dot JHP 180g in .40 the guy on the phone asked me if it was for LE or self defense... Which is a question I was never asked before, ever.

I said defense and asked is that a law here in PA? He said yes we can't sell you any ammo that is for law enforcement or law enforcement grade. He also said if I was with LE he would have to discuss that with his manager because only a select few vendors in the area carry the LE gold dot ammo....

Another shop I called never questioned the issue at all, which is what I expected.

Is this guy totally off or I have I just not heard of this? I also though speer gold dots are gold dots, I didn't know they had different types like some of the other ammo out there I have seen.
    WTF is LE grade ammo? The shit that people think is illegal...
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Northampton County)

There is no law, no regulation, no nothing. That being said, there are ammo lines that some manufacturers only provide for sale to LEO. That is their policy, not a law. When they find out their customers (shops) are selling to civilians they will sometimes discontinue sales.

Reminds me of Colt M16s back in the day. Colt would cut you off if you sold to civilians. That's why there are so many converted firearms and conversion devices in the NFA machinegun registry. If you could pick up an M16 off the shelf nobody would have bothered with those things back then.

(Allegheny County)

I wonder if he asked because of the huge problem we (non federal law enforcement) have had the last few years getting ammunition because of the wars. We have had to pay outrageous prices and buy from all over the place to fill our yearly needs just to qualify everyone and get a little bit of training ammo.

He might not have been told why he could not sell that gold dot to you by his bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    I wonder if he asked because of the huge problem we (non federal law enforcement) have had the last few years getting ammunition because of the wars. We have had to pay outrageous prices and buy from all over the place to fill our yearly needs just to qualify everyone and get a little bit of training ammo.

He might not have been told why he could not sell that gold dot to you by his bosses.
    The excuse "we don't have ammo in stock because of the wars going on" is invalid as far as SD/LE ammunition goes. We don't use Gold Dot or any thing like it unless it's in limited quantities for special occasions. There is another reason why ammo is running short, I just don't know what it is. Using OEF and OIF is speculation more than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lackawanna County)

I'm starting to think ammo prices are driven like oil prices. Speculation

(Northumberland County)

i dont get it either, US military does not use JHP ammo due to the Geneva Convention. Ammo factories are pushing out ammo to its breaking point , i dont know where all this ammo is going , my best bet is retailers are buying it all by the pallets and overcharging poor civilans double prices . It could be from all the brass and ammo materials are going to the military instead of the civilans they should put a limit on military ammo as well if they dont have it they should pack up and go home! They are not defending the US so why waste ammo on defending other countries and we take the blow for it.

The ammo limit per customer should go back into effect so they can share ammo for everyone not just whoever has the most money in their pockets.

controlling the ammo indirectly controls the guns. at least in their minds. however, this really only affects avid shooters. murderers dont mind spending an extra dollar every once in a while (especially for such a "good" cause).
    Montani Semper Liberi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast