Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Suppressed 10.5 SBR FTE Help

Have a 10.5 Spikes SBR that runs like a sewing machine unsuppressed, but when I attach the suppressor I get an empty case stuck in the chamber, and I mean really stuck. I was shooting Federal and Winchester ammo. I am guessing that it is from being overgassed, but not sure of what to do. It also has an H2 buffer and standard carbine spring. Thanks.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Suppressed 10.5 SBR FTE Help

I have no clue about sbrs, suppressors but I was having the same problem with my ar when shooting steel cased ammo. I ordered a bcm extractor spring upgrade kit and it fixed my problem.

(Monroe County)

Since the case is really stuck in the chamber, I doubt that it had anything to do with the buffer or spring or even the extractor. It's probably over gassed and you might need an adjustable gas block.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, the extractor would actuall pull part of the rim off the case when I could get the charging handle back, so I figured it wasn't an extractor issue. Once I take a rod and tap the empty out, the sides looked like something hanging up in the chamber, casings that I picked out unsuppressed looked normal.

Get a case from when you fired suppressed and a case from when you fired unsuppressed. Set your camera to Macro and make sure you have a good external light source on the cases. Take an up-close picture of them and post the pictures on here. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out as to why over gassing would cause this.

Shooting steel cased ammo can cause two problems. Steel cases won't seal as well as brass (doesn't flex as much as brass) so you can get more carbon on the chamber walls but I think that's less likely. Also, some steel cases have a coating on them to help prevent corrosion. Clean your chamber regardless if you have shot steel or not. I have a funny feeling that something isn't right in there, hence why you're getting a mark on the cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Get a case from when you fired suppressed and a case from when you fired unsuppressed. Set your camera to Macro and make sure you have a good external light source on the cases. Take an up-close picture of them and post the pictures on here. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out as to why over gassing would cause this.
    I couldn't figure it out either.

Overgas can definitely cause extraction issues. Because it causes the bolt carrier to try to extract the casing too soon. But "overgas" means gas down the gas tube. I have no idea why it would cause casings to remain stuck after the shooting is over.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by t99hv View Post
    I was kind of thinking the same thing, the extractor would actuall pull part of the rim off the case when I could get the charging handle back, so I figured it wasn't an extractor issue. Once I take a rod and tap the empty out, the sides looked like something hanging up in the chamber, casings that I picked out unsuppressed looked normal.
    Well now with more info, over gassed is not an issue. Apparently the chamber must have a burr or rough spot that is causing the case to get stuck when shooting suppressed, but allowing it to just extract unsuppressed. Look into having the chamber polished, the chamber reamer that cut your chamber might have been worn or damaged.

This is a brand new upper, was the first time I had it out. I also cleaned it very well before i took it out and also sopped it wet with CLP. Guess I'm going to have to give Spikes a call tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post

Shooting steel cased ammo can cause two problems. Steel cases won't seal as well as brass (doesn't flex as much as brass) so you can get more carbon on the chamber walls but I think that's less likely. Also, some steel cases have a coating on them to help prevent corrosion. Clean your chamber regardless if you have shot steel or not. I have a funny feeling that something isn't right in there, hence why you're getting a mark on the cases.
    I was trying to shoot Federal and Winchester ammo, no steel cases. The chamber was clean before I started. I quit trying to fire it suppressed after about the 5th round having to be tapped out with a cleaning rod.

Called and talked with someone at Spikes Tactical today, seemed to think it was overgassed, and told me to try an adjustible gas block. The guy on the phone seemed to be in the ballpark of what you said Ungawa, was making it extract early and causing it to expand in the chamber. Also, I wasn't ignoring you guys on taking pics and posting them, I let a buddy borrow my truck for a couple days, and the empty casings are in the back! I'll take some and post them when I get them back.
    Last edited by t99hv; October 1st, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast