Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Anybody in Pike County?

EDIT: I'm not going to do this. Post left intact just so people can know what's going on, but, I'm not planning on carrying this anymore.

Hey. So let me be brief: I have a rifle now (AK-47), and now that I have the ability to not be disarmed and vulnerable, I'd like to OC it with me. Obviously I'd prefer a pistol, but I don't have one, so, yeah.

Anyway, my ma is pretty scared of the idea. She thinks someone's going to shoot me dead just for having it. So, I was wondering if anybody in Pike County would be willing to go with me on my first OC? She says she'd feel better if I were with someone experienced... this is all pretty frustrating, but, yeah. Anybody wanna help me out here?
    Last edited by northernlights; September 29th, 2012 at 10:45 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Anybody in Pike County?

While you would be completely legal I would bet my house you'd catch some serious attention for this. Don't forget how close we are to NY and nj. Also don't forget the legality of a loaded rifle in a car or other nuances you'd need to mind

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    While you would be completely legal I would bet my house you'd catch some serious attention for this. Don't forget how close we are to NY and nj. Also don't forget the legality of a loaded rifle in a car or other nuances you'd need to mind
    I know, but you know how it is, it's that or no protection. And I know the law - non-firearm rifle must be unloaded in a vehicle.

(Wayne County)

Your ma might not be so dumb. Maybe you should wait until you can afford (or are old enough to purchase) a handgun and decent holster that would be more suitable for EDC and personal protection. And, as was said upthread, although what you are proposing is legal, you may want to rethink how your actions will be percieved by the general public. Let's run through a likely scenario.

Your mom asks you to run to the local convenience store to pick up milk and bread. You decide that you want to enjoy your new-found ability to lawfully carry your long arm. So you, knowing that it is unlawful in PA to transport a loaded long arm in a vehicle, place your AK in your vehicle unloaded and proceed to drive to the store. Once you arrive at the store, you get out of the car, remove your AK, insert a magazine, chamber a round, safe the rifle, sling the rifle and walk in to the store smiling the smile of a citizen lawfully exercising his lawful rights.

In the mean time, the person running the cash register sees a car pull up to the front of the building, a guy gets out, pulls out a rifle, inserts a magazine, chambers a round and starts to walk in to the store.

True or False - The person at the cash register is not going to panic because they understand that you are only lawfully carrying your AK for personal protection.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD.

Feel free to flame away, but before you do, know that I do occasionally OC a side arm. It's just my opinion that OCing long arms just for the hell of it is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Pike County)

Yeah, maybe you're right. I'd certainly rather carry a pistol, and you know, it's not that impossible - it's lawful to receive a pistol as a gift, so my ma could (hopefully she will) get me one for xmas or my birthday or whatever, and as I understand it, obtaining a Maine permit will give me the right to carry in a vehicle (but not conceal), so, having done that, I would be able to OC a pistol.

Maybe you guys are right. I understand where you're coming from and I really don't WANT to carry the bloody thing at all - I just hate being unarmed. According to Murphy, the one day you don't carry will be the day Milford, PA becomes Aurora, CO...

Cool Re: Anybody in Pike County?

Sell your AK if you seriously want to carry OC and get a handgun ! Legal yes but an AK even anti gunners know what they are and the negative commotion caused would be detrimental to us who O/C daily. JMO

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Sell your AK if you seriously want to carry OC and get a handgun ! Legal yes but an AK even anti gunners know what they are and the negative commotion caused would be detrimental to us who O/C daily. JMO
    Wouldn't do any good for me to sell it. I'm too young to buy a handgun and if I give my ma the money that's a straw purchase.

Ok, fair enough guys... I'll stand down on OCing the AK. Yeah, if it were an AR-15, maybe so, that's "our gun," but I see what you mean about it being the "evil gun."

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by northernlights View Post
    Yeah, maybe you're right. I'd certainly rather carry a pistol, and you know, it's not that impossible - it's lawful to receive a pistol as a gift, so my ma could (hopefully she will) get me one for xmas or my birthday or whatever, and as I understand it, obtaining a Maine permit will give me the right to carry in a vehicle (but not conceal), so, having done that, I would be able to OC a pistol.

Maybe you guys are right. I understand where you're coming from and I really don't WANT to carry the bloody thing at all - I just hate being unarmed. According to Murphy, the one day you don't carry will be the day Milford, PA becomes Aurora, CO...
    I understand and even commend your desire to want to defend yourself in the event that you ever need to. Just make sure that you are making informed choices and not impulsive choices about what you are doing. It may be worth while to wait an additional 3 years to avoid any legal hangups that will restrict your ability to own/carry firearms for the rest of your life. While it may not be what you desire, you've made it this far in life without needing to shoot anyone. Odds are you can make it another three.

And with regard to carrying with a Maine permit under reciprocity, if you are carrying in a vehicle, you ARE carrying the firearm concealed. So if you have the ability to do one, you have the ability to do the other because they equally require a license.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    And with regard to carrying with a Maine permit under reciprocity, if you are carrying in a vehicle, you ARE carrying the firearm concealed. So if you have the ability to do one, you have the ability to do the other because they equally require a license.
    I keep hearing different things on this. Well I PM'd GunLawyer about it; we'll see what he has to say.

(Lehigh County)

oc with an assault rifle? not a wise decision i would make. you will be spending more time talking to the po po than anything else. legal, yes, but i think the explaining you would have to constantly do is counter productive. my parents live in pike, and i grew up there. i would wait till you can legally buy a handgun, a proper holster and be a little bit more educated on what you are doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast