Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default My Township Constable position is not filled...should I step up?

I was on my township's web page and I noticed that the office of Constable is currently unfilled. I was thinking that I may want to step up to the plate and petition for an appointment until the next election cycle.

I know what a Constable does in general such as serving warrants and keeping the peace at the polls.

I just want to know what I might be getting myself into. What kind of workload would I be getting myself into? I have a full time job and a family. From what I have read and researched it seems that many constables work as much or as little as they wish but I don't want to make assumptions based on internet reading.

What type of training and insurance would I be required to have?

I know I have a lot of questions so I hope there are other constables out there who may be able to point me in the right direction.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My Township Constable position is not filled...should I step up?

The workload can vary from nothing, to two full-time jobs' worth. You can always limit your work; you may not be able to get any, though, if the nearby judges are happy with the constables they're using. It varies tremendously.

Training is free through PCCD. The first year it's 80 hours of basic training, and 40 hours of basic firearms. After that it's 20 hours each of continuing education and firearms. It's usually set up as a weekend course, 6-10 PM on Friday, and 9-5 on Saturday and Sunday.

You're required to have a bond and liability insurance. The PAFOC negotiated a good discount, so you can get the kaboodle for about $300/year.

On the whole, it's at the very least an interesting experience. If you serve at least ten warrants a year, you can make enough to cover insurance, and then enjoy some free training and LEOSA carry privileges nationwide.

Don't forget, though, that you also pay for your uniform, gun, duty belt, handcuffs, shackles, etc, your vehicle and cage, etc. You can easily lay out $5,000 to $10,000 getting started, most of that being a car that accepts a cage. A majority of constables lose money. A minority make six figures, and a couple notorious ones make north of a quarter million.

If you're only interested in a badge and LEOSA, you can pay insurance out of pocket, never do court work, and appoint Election Day deputies for the polls. A few hundred out if pocket per year, and two weekends of free training. The firearms training is actually not bad. (At least advanced is. I've never done the regular one.)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
    The workload can vary from nothing, to two full-time jobs' worth. You can always limit your work; you may not be able to get any, though, if the nearby judges are happy with the constables they're using. It varies tremendously.

Training is free through PCCD. The first year it's 80 hours of basic training, and 40 hours of basic firearms. After that it's 20 hours each of continuing education and firearms. It's usually set up as a weekend course, 6-10 PM on Friday, and 9-5 on Saturday and Sunday.

You're required to have a bond and liability insurance. The PAFOC negotiated a good discount, so you can get the kaboodle for about $300/year.

On the whole, it's at the very least an interesting experience. If you serve at least ten warrants a year, you can make enough to cover insurance, and then enjoy some free training and LEOSA carry privileges nationwide.

Don't forget, though, that you also pay for your uniform, gun, duty belt, handcuffs, shackles, etc, your vehicle and cage, etc. You can easily lay out $5,000 to $10,000 getting started, most of that being a car that accepts a cage. A majority of constables lose money. A minority make six figures, and a couple notorious ones make north of a quarter million.

If you're only interested in a badge and LEOSA, you can pay insurance out of pocket, never do court work, and appoint Election Day deputies for the polls. A few hundred out if pocket per year, and two weekends of free training. The firearms training is actually not bad. (At least advanced is. I've never done the regular one.)
    Would I be loser if I said I was interested in the badge and LEOSA and being able to write my equipment off as an expense? I really want the free training, badge and LEOSA. I don't mind doing some work but I work full time as a pharmacist so I won't have a ton of time. I also see it as a doorway into the political realm.

(Lancaster County)

And is a car that accepts a cage a requirement?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    And is a car that accepts a cage a requirement?
    No, but foolish if you don't have one.

(Chester County)

What exactly are the duties of a constable? The free training is intriguing and being unemployed at the moment makes me wonder if something like that could pan out. I was able to find a constable list for Lancaster County and there is currently one constable serving my area...

(Allegheny County)

Would I be loser if I said I was interested in the badge and LEOSA and being able to write my equipment off as an expense? I really want the free training, badge and LEOSA. I don't mind doing some work but I work full time as a pharmacist so I won't have a ton of time. I also see it as a doorway into the political realm.
    That doesn't make you a loser at all. If you make sure the polls are covered, you're doing all the statutes require. If you don't work, you won't get paid--so you would not be putting any drain on taxpayer money. Training is covered by a fee we charge defendants, so that's also not coming from the public teat. In fact PCCD is supposed to give us a stipend for attending, and doesn't, even though we collect the money for them.

Not a loser at all. I respect your knowing what your goal is, and going after it lawfully.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
    That doesn't make you a loser at all. If you make sure the polls are covered, you're doing all the statutes require. If you don't work, you won't get paid--so you would not be putting any drain on taxpayer money. Training is covered by a fee we charge defendants, so that's also not coming from the public teat. In fact PCCD is supposed to give us a stipend for attending, and doesn't, even though we collect the money for them.

Not a loser at all. I respect your knowing what your goal is, and going after it lawfully.
    So technically I can become a constable and never serve a warrant. As long as I cover the polls then I have fulfilled the requirements of the position? So I would not have to buy a used police cruiser!

Thank you for time. I may consider this because I am sure that I could at least cover the polls.

May I ask one more question? The position is currently unfilled and since this is an elected position I would assume that I would have to be appointed until the next term come around. How would I go about making that happen?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
    What exactly are the duties of a constable? The free training is intriguing and being unemployed at the moment makes me wonder if something like that could pan out. I was able to find a constable list for Lancaster County and there is currently one constable serving my area...
    What we get paid for is serving warrants and civil process, transporting defendants, providing courtroom security, and a few other things. You can make a decent living if you bust your hump, assuming you can establish good relations with some magistrates. If there's a constable in your borough, you can ask him about becoming a deputy. If not, you can get yourself appointed.

Bear in mind that you pay for everything, and it can be hard to get work. It's not guaranteed. Many of us are part-timers for that reason.

(Allegheny County)

So technically I can become a constable and never serve a warrant. As long as I cover the polls then I have fulfilled the requirements of the position? So I would not have to buy a used police cruiser!
    Yep. But to satisfy LEOSA, you'll need to be certified, which means insurance and a bond. Plan on spending a few hundred per year minimum.

May I ask one more question? The position is currently unfilled and since this is an elected position I would assume that I would have to be appointed until the next term come around. How would I go about making that happen?
    The process is documented online--sorry, no link handy--but basically you need a petition signed by 10 registered voters in your borough. The President Judge in your county basically must approve it, pending a background check. You'll have to advertise the judge's order in the paper, and allow 30 days for citizens to protest. Then you get sworn in.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast