Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pistol Scope for a S&W 500 Magnum revolver

Does anyone have advice, or an opinion, about what scope would be good to put on my S&W 500 Mag revolver. I know they build shotgun scopes to withstand more abuse because of the greater recoil from slugs, and I'm thinking it might also be necessary for my revolver. It does kick pretty good, so I don't know if it's something to be concerned about or not when buying a scope. I'm not really looking for the latest and greatest, just something half decent. I want to use it for hunting, and I just want something that I can draw up and find the crosshares easily. Any reccomendations?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Pistol Scope for a S&W 500 Magnum revolver

Leupold Scope are great...
    I have one on my Smith & Wesson 629-2 Classic Hunter 44mag. for deer..

Hey, that's a nice looking gun! What model # is that scope? Have you gotten any deer with it yet?

Would a scope like that hold up to the recoil of a 500 Mag?

(Lancaster County)

I use a Bushnell pistol scope I got at Bass Pro for about 200 bucks. It has held up through a few hundred rounds so far. Actually due to the price of ammo for this gun I will estimate the shots fired since installing the scope may be closer to 150. No problems. I get a fast crosshair aquisition but anyone I let shoot it really seems to have to play with it before finding the crosshairs. Remember to get REALLY good rings though. Youtube has a few videos of what happens if you dont. My scope stays put with 3 but I wish I bought 4 for uniformity. I wont lie and say I can hit the bull every time out to 100 yards with the scope but I will be on the paper 9 times out of 10.

Hi bripro, nice gun, and thank for the info. Is that a 500 or a 460? Both are pretty cool guns! I heard that the 460 has better ballistics than the 500, but I still like my 500 anyway. What grain of bullet do you shoot? I'm loading my own ammo with 400 grain Sierra bullets, and they thump pretty good. It's almost like a shotgun slug but it's manageable.
    I know what you are saying about getting fast crosshair acquisition. Some scopes work better for different folks. I have a good 3-12x Sightron scope on my deer rifle, but I don't like it because you must have your eye at just the right spot, and there's not enough eye relief. The buddy of mine who sold the gun to me practically swears by Sightron scopes though. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Leupold or something else.

(Lancaster County)

It is the 500. I usually shoot 400 grain Winchesters. I dont reload which prompts everyone to tell me Im crazy for owning this gun then. When I first got it I would shoot it alot. Now I take it to the range when Im going to shoot something else and just put 5 or 10 rounds through it. The problem with that though is that Im anal and will clean the gun the same as if I put 100 rounds through before storing it. Since this pic I put a hogue rosewood grip with finger grooves, checkering and a band on it. It looks real sharp but adds a little sting to each shot. I love the gun though even if it will eventually put me in the poor house.

Haha! I know exactly what you are talking about; I only put a few shots through mine at a time too. Then it's time to quit. I still have the original grip on mine. I think S&W makes a special glove that is supposed to absorb some of the shock, but I haven't bothered investing in one. I won't give up my gun either, even if it puts me in the "poor house" too. LOL! The initial investment is pretty expensive to get into reloading, but I do enough shooting with enough different firearms to make it worthwhile. In dollar value, reloading eventually pays itself off, but only after quite a bit of shooting. However, in my small opinion, reloading is a priceless sport of its own. I don't know the exact math in my head, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some factory ammo for the 500 is somewhere close to $2.00 per shot. I can reload for approximately $1.25.
    So have you gotten any deer or anything with that gun? I missed a doe once; that's why I'm thinking about getting a scope. I never got a deer with the .30-30 until I put a scope on, but since I did, I've gotten at least one deer every year now for 8 years in a row. Maybe some of that luck will carry over to the 500. I guess if you've put 150 shots of 400 grain ammo through that gun, and not had any trouble with rattling the scope apart, then it must be built tough enough for the job.
    Last edited by S&W500Mag; November 23rd, 2008 at 03:12 AM.

When you say to use "REALLY good scope rings," do you have a particular name brand in mind? I don't know much difference between any of the kinds out there.

(Lancaster County)

Heres where I got my set up. The site now recommends 4 rings for the 500. That info is new and I only have 3 but it holds perfectly. I sometimes think about getting a 4th but the scope is too accurate to mess with right now. If its not broke it doesnt need to be fixed type thing. http://www.jackweigand.com/sswhpmnts.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast