Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Ruger SR9c question

I noticed that when you eject a magazine that has rounds left in it the mags will not drop out of the gun freely. They drop about 1/4" and hang forcing you to pull them out. If the mags are empty or only have 1 or 2 shots left in them they will drop. It seems like the mags are expanding a little causing this. I contacted Ruger about this by phone and email and both said the same thing that this is how they were designed. I checked my Berettas (84 and 92) and Browning (Buckmark) and they both will drop a full mag freely. Has this been an issue for anyone? I know you probably won't want to just drop a full mag but I was concerned that if the mags are swelling a little what will that do to them over time? Also what kind of wear is that putting on the inside of the polymer? I figured you guys who have shot lots of rounds would have seen an issue by now and I couldn't find any in the searches, hence my question.

Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ruger SR9c question

Which magazine are you having issue with? The 10 or 17 round magazine?

I have no problems with all of my mags. Try different brand of ammo. There is a hole on the front side of the magazine. Maybe the ammo is a little out of spec and snagging on the "latch" that locks the magazine. Just guessing... But ammo is easier to change and test.

If not ammo, maybe it is the mag. Contact ruger.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdogs View Post
    I noticed that when you eject a magazine that has rounds left in it the mags will not drop out of the gun freely. They drop about 1/4" and hang forcing you to pull them out. If the mags are empty or only have 1 or 2 shots left in them they will drop. It seems like the mags are expanding a little causing this. I contacted Ruger about this by phone and email and both said the same thing that this is how they were designed. I checked my Berettas (84 and 92) and Browning (Buckmark) and they both will drop a full mag freely. Has this been an issue for anyone? I know you probably won't want to just drop a full mag but I was concerned that if the mags are swelling a little what will that do to them over time? Also what kind of wear is that putting on the inside of the polymer? I figured you guys who have shot lots of rounds would have seen an issue by now and I couldn't find any in the searches, hence my question.

Thanks
    My SR9c performs exactly as you mention. I have shot plenty of rounds and have absolutely zero issues with FTF, FTE, or mag problems. I clean the gun after each trip to the range, or every couple of weeks, and the only wear and tear is holster wear/cosmetic. (it's my EDC) I don't see it as an issue at all.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a full sized SR9 and not a compact, but I will tell you from my experience that the stock guns from the factory are not polished all that well and I had numerous issues with mine. The trigger pull on my gun is something I would equate to that of a staple gun. The mags didn't really want to drop out all the way after pressing the mag release either. I completely stripped the gun and polished EVERYTHING inside including the mag release, did a trigger job on it, and replaced the disconnect with a Ghost 3.5 pound disconnector. I also trimmed off about 1.5 coils off the striker spring which made a huge difference in the trigger pull.

I also noticed that before all the work that I did on the internals that the magazine safety disconnect never worked from the factory until after I disassembled the gun a polished everything. The gun fires straight as can be now and everything actually works 1000 times better than when I bought it.

My opinion of the SR9 straight from the factory sucked after seeing what the results were like with a little attention to detail and spending a little time and effort to polish parts.

There are a couple of really great videos on Youtube on how to disassemble the SR9 that make it real easy to take apart and put back together. Bit of advice not mentioned in those is to pay attention to the little springs on the the slide lock and the side of the locking block. Those little tiny springs hold the tension on your takedown pins and prevent them from falling out.

My advice to you would be to take the gun apart and polish everything with a light polishing compound like a white rouge, Flitz, or Mother's metal polish. Pay attention to the mag release in your case. You will be surprised at the huge difference between a stock gun and one that has been worked.

I can't think of one good reason why Ruger designed the mag to hang up if it is full or close to full. A double stack mag will bulge a little, but it is a very little. Also, if it only drops 1/4", it sounds like the round under the round being fed is being partially fed and catching when you try to drop the mag. Does a round fall out when you have to forcefully pull the full mag out? If you put a full mag in and don't feed a round, will it drop back out? If you know a partially fed round isn't causing it to hang up and it won't drop back out when full, then it may be bulging enough to catch on something. Try to find a scuff mark on the mag. Since metal doesn't give, it only takes a couple thousandths of an inch to get hang up. I want all my mags to drop or pop out full, empty, or anywhere in between. If it is designed to stick when full or mostly full, I'm getting a different gun.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Westmoreland County)

It is happening on both the 10 and 17 round mags. I tried FMJ 115 grain, hollow points and hydro shock hollow points and it happens with all the same. The FMJ are about 1/8" longer than the others and there doesn't appear to be anything hitting the shells. If I remove all but 4 shells it drops out normally on both mags. If I add a 5th to each mag it hangs and has to be pulled out. On the mag there is the rectangle opening that locks it in and a little hole above it. I can see where the pin that locks it in is sliding against the mag and hitting that hole but it doesn't feel like it is hanging on it. In closer inspection I can get it to behave the same with an empty mag simply by squeezing on the sides of the grip. I'm going to have to get a set of micrometers to see if the mags are in fact spreading a little with shells in them causing this. Gonna be calling Ruger again about this in a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdogs View Post
    If I remove all but 4 shells it drops out normally on both mags. If I add a 5th to each mag it hangs and has to be pulled out. On the mag there is the rectangle opening that locks it in and a little hole above it. I can see where the pin that locks it in is sliding against the mag and hitting that hole but it doesn't feel like it is hanging on it. In closer inspection I can get it to behave the same with an empty mag simply by squeezing on the sides of the grip. I'm going to have to get a set of micrometers to see if the mags are in fact spreading a little with shells in them causing this. Gonna be calling Ruger again about this in a little while.
    Sounds like the 5th round puts enough pressure to open the mag enough to hit the trigger bar, or maybe a burr inside the grip. It will be noticeable if you look inside the grip with a flash light.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Butler County)

Yeah,I think you should call Ruger about this. It might be your particular pistol. I have a SR9C,my everyday carry piece,(serial #332-421xx),that will drop the mag everytime,no matter how many rounds it has. Type of ammo doesn't matter either,hollow point Remingtons or Brown Bear FMJ. I'm in the habit of shooting the pistol everytime I go to the range,once or twice a week. I just pull it from the holster and fire,and reload it with the 17 rounder. Never a glitch,and I haven't cleaned it since I got it. Maybe 400 rounds so far. Ruger is very good at standing behind their product,contact them and explain the problem.

(Westmoreland County)

Called Ruger and the girl I talked to (Carol) read from something that the gun is to operate in this fashion. She said "it says that the weight of the bullets makes the magazine lean forward and causes some resistance". I can feel seams in the cavity for the mag that feel like casting marks. I'll swing by the shop I got it at and check a couple they have there to see if they are the same and also try theirs to see if they also eject funny.

While I'm not fond of this I have to wonder how often I'll really be needing to eject a magazine with 5 good rounds left in it? I'll take it to the range a few more times, take some training classes with it and see if this is going to be an issue. I'm staying positive on this... for now.

(Montgomery County)

I must be missing the reason for concern here. Why is it a bad thing that a fully loaded mag won't free-fall out of the gun when you hit the release? I've had the mag release hit when OCing (from pressing against the seatbelt latch) and I was glad it didn't just fall out when I stood up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast