Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Question for Reloaders ?

There is a 243 Winchester round,Is there also such a round as Just a 243 ? Me and a few friends are in debate of this question.TY

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Question for Reloaders ?

No, when someone says .243 they are referring to the .243 Winchester.
    BTW what model rifle are you shooting the .243 reloads in? Per your other thread.

Its posted for sale CZ/Interarms ,Model X 243 bolt,high lustre blue,mannlicher stock w/cheek piece 21 inch barrel,with a Simmons 4x12,40mm variable with infinity adjustments,had it for a long time and want to shoot it before it sells.Going to try the PPU rounds 100 grains in the box made in Serbia ?What do you think ?
    Last edited by MARINE DIVISION TWO; September 27th, 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spell correct

(Jefferson County)

99.9% that it is .243Winchester.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Its posted for sale CZ/Interarms ,Model X 243 bolt,high lustre blue,mannlicher stock w/cheek piece 21 inch barrel,with a Simmons 4x12,40mm variable with infinity adjustments,had it for a long time and want to shoot it before it sells.Going to try the PPU rounds 100 grains in the box made in Serbia ?What do you think ?

I've been shooting a good amount of PPU in mil surps. Also using their brass for reloading. You will likely need to clean the bore well after shooting. Their powders tend to be sooty. Their brass holds up well although the primer pockets are sometimes tight and sometimes a little deep.

I've also been buying PPU bullets. Again for mil surps in odd cal. (.310 through .312 and .323) I like their bullets.

The reason I asked about the gun is that there are several lever action rifles chambered in .243 which may require special attention when reloading. I have a bit of experience with these.
    Last edited by tabasco_joe; September 27th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.

All the others that I know of are referenced as "6mm."
    There is only one round that is referenced as .243.
    This is the same as someone saying they are shooting a 9mm. I "assume" they mean 9x19/9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum.

243 Winchester Super Short Magnum or 243 WSSM also exists. I do believe it is highly unlikely that he has this. This caliber has more velocity than the .243 winchester but it is shorter and fatter so it can be used in normal AR 15 platforms whereas the .243 winchester can only be used in longer ar 10 platforms because they are the same length as a .308. I should think he would know instantly if he had his rifle chambered in this newer caliber. There is also a .243 Win Ackley Improved.
    Last edited by ReloadingIsFun; October 1st, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    99.9% that it is .243Winchester.
    yeah, and if its the Winchester super short mag it will say 243 WSSM

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    yeah, and if its the Winchester super short mag it will say 243 WSSM
    All guns should be marked properly with the caliber they are. This isn't always the case though. And several calibers have different names in different nations. In edition there are several calibers with similar names that could easily confuse people. The number of calibers in 38 and 9 mm is a very long list indeed. It's true that most NEWER firearms in these calibers will be .38 special and 9 mm parabellum but not always and in older firearms well lets face it they could be anything. Without physically examining his firearm I assume NOTHING. Also keep in mind his firearm is Czech in origin. It's not unusual for other nations to just plain mark things wrongly. There is a language barrier to begin with right off the bat. I too would guess it's simply .243 Winchester it's a very common caliber and the other two .243's I cites are quite rare. But again I don't assume anything. I would bet that if Winchester or Remington made his rifle it would be marked properly. My model 70 pre 64 is marked clearly 243 win. NO question to anyone what it is will ever arise. But I would NEVER assume any odd ball or other nation manufacturer will always mark things correctly. I even own guns without any caliber or manufacturer markings at all. They are old and it's odd but true. Ever seen a .30-40 Kraig? It doesn't say it's caliber and it was once a US service rifle. This rifle was produced in other calibers in other nations and many that own them in the USA sporterized them and even changed the caliber. Mines been sporterized so it's possible it's marks are gone because of that process? I frankly don't know. It's serial number is still visible. Thought it's half covered by the scope mount. It might even say .30-40 under the scope mount? I've looked at a neighbors gun once in low light conditions and couldn't find who made it. Then got it into good lighting with a magnifying glass and noticed the markings hidden among the flaking off nickle plating. The markings were in an odd place for a revolver made today and hard to read due to the condition of the firearm but was not so odd when it was made. So sometimes you think the markings aren't there but they are. Ever watch the show son's of guns? They once were firing an old african converstion musket that was converted to being a 12 guage shotgun. They actually made the mistake of firing a 2 3/4 in 12 guage through it. Why because everyone today assumes that's the smallest length to a 12 gauge. It's not thought. It didn't blow up. It could have though because at the time the only 12 guage shells that existed were 2 1/2 in shells. Those guys who are suposed to be the experts put on film a HUGE screw up. Equivalent to firing a 3 in shell in a 2 3/4 shotgun. YEP go and watch that episode they did it. Why because they ASSUMED. They got lucky the gun didn't blow up and no one got hurt. You got to be really careful when dealing with old or foreign guns. They often ASSUME the end users just KNOWS what caliber it is. Look at today. A lot of ammo manufactures are making .45 long colt in +P version. ALL old .45 long colt firearms cannot handle that and MOST new ones can't either. That's extremely dangerous to the public that may not know this. The .45 long colt was originally a black powder cartrage so when they started making it in modern smokeless powder sammi set a low pressure value for it. Indeed most people don't even know this but the ONLY calibers that have any +P rates set by Sammi are .45 acp, 38 special, 9mm parabellum and 38 super. And by the way Sammi doesn't set any standards for +P+ at all. Now I have little doubt that this guys gun is just a .243 Winchester. But YOU JUST NEVER KNOW for sure without examining the firearm. So all you guys out there using +P 45-70 loads and +P 40 smith and wessons remember you are taking a HUGE chance every time you do it. UNLESS you are using a NEWER firearm that says it can handle the +P ammo out there for it then you are gambling everytime you use such ammo in any caliber. and you are always gambling when you use any ammo marked +P+

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReloadingIsFun View Post
    Ever seen a .30-40 Kraig? It doesn't say it's caliber and it was once a US service rifle
    A 30-40 krag Jorgensen is chambered in 30-40 Krag also known .30 Government or .30 U.S.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast