Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Another "Friend is looking to carry" thread.

So as the title says, one of my roommates has been inquiring more and more as to how to carry, what kind of guns there are, what should he get, what's it like to carry, etc.

He works at an upscale restaurant until late night and several of his co-workers have been mugged in the past few months since they usually are leaving with a nice chunk of change in their pockets. He thinks that because he rides his bike he's a little bit safer but I pointed him towards the story of the man who was attacked on his bike and shot his attackers, that seemed to change his mind a bit. I also reminded him that he could get blindsided by someone while he was walking to/unlocking his bike.

So I told him before he even thinks about carrying, he should come with me next time he can when I go shooting. He's been shooting before and said he had a blast, but I don't know who he was with and if he received any kind of run down about gun safety maintenance, etc. I could show him proper grips, stance, which eye is his dominant and why it matters and all that fun stuff.

After that, I asked him what he was looking for in a gun. Did he want power, capacity, concealability, affordability and on and on. One thing we came to agreement on is that it has to have ambi controls since he's a lefty. Once he gets an idea of what he wants in a gun I'll point him towards a few websites with general pricing to see if that's still his thing.

Keep in mind, it's his first gun and he's a poor college student. Many of you will say that anything you're laying your life on should be best quality, but for some that isn't an immediate option. I personally started with an SR9c, traded to a P228 and traded again to the first gun that ever really caught my eye, a Lightweight Champ Operator.

I think a good starting gun would be a Sig 2022. They can be had for <$400 and are in a pretty good spot with power/capacity/size. Idk if the DAO trigger would put him off at all, but I figured a consistent trigger is good. Another concern I have for him is that he needs to have to very concealed while he's working. I don't want to suggest to him a pocket gun as a first gun, so I was thinking a smaller Kahr would fit the bill nicely as well.

I also told him about the expenses that come along with owning and carrying, explained the need for a good belt and holster, what his costs would be for practicing between ammo, range fees.

Whenever it comes around, I also told him he should tag along next time there's a gun show that I go to. He can actually handle the guns he's thinking about buying and get a good idea what it will feel like.

Have I missed any information to pass on to him? Or do you guys have an recommendations as to a decent but cheap (I'm thinking <$500 probably) gun to carry?
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Another "Friend is looking to carry" thread.

I really didn't like the double/single action thing - But after 20 some years of shooting Glocks (love them) and 1911's (love them too!) I've come to appreciate and understand the place of this type of pistol. For up-close self defense/safety combination, a round loaded with a longer heavier draw for the first shot isn't a bad thing - and having subsequent shots easier makes sense to me. Especially for someone who isn't a gun-nut and won't necessarily practice all the time. The other easy to use option is a S&W DAO snub - lots of dry fire practice is good (both for the finger and smooth out the action), potent round, consistent trigger pull, and mostly idiot resistant.
    Good luck ! Hope this helps.
    Cb

(Lackawanna County)

Kahr CW9 is an excellent carry gun. I haven't experienced a single malfunction with it and it's light and small. I also found it very easy to shoot and accurate. I picked mine up used for $300.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    Kahr CW9 is an excellent carry gun. I haven't experienced a single malfunction with it and it's light and small. I also found it very easy to shoot and accurate. I picked mine up used for $300.
    Hey i beat you by $1 i picked up mine used for $299, i second everything you said about it, i used to hate Kahrs untill i got mine.

And as a bike rider he might appreciate its thinness and light weight.

0.9 in thin and weighs a mere 15 ounces 17 ounces with an empty mag.

Its my summer Gun.

(Columbia County)

A couple suggestions depending on the size wanted. The SR9c is an inexpensive compact that is easy to shoot well, and conceals well in a CBST. Mag release is ambi, and with the proper training the slide stop doesn't matter.
    The M&P9c is about the same with reversible mag release and ambi slide stop, just more money. The Shield is more concealable being thinner but I don't know if the mag release is reversible (can someone enlighten me on this?). Slide stop is not ambi, but again, it shouldn't matter. My EDC in this size range is a SA EMP which can't be seen when IWB under a loose t-shirt or a dress shirt.

Kahr offers its small frame single stacks that I have not shot, but I have handled them and dry fired them and have to say that they feel fantastic in the hand, and the DAO trigger was quite good. They would also be fairly easy to conceal.

The next level down in size gives you the LCP and P3AT size pistols. I carry a Sig P238 with a CBMT when I really want my gun to disappear. I can put that on under a normal fitting T-shirt and you can't tell it's there (it also serves as my ankle BUG). These guns are also harder to shoot accurately especially for someone who lacks experience.

Either way, the search is part of the fun, just wish I got to do it more often.
    They let me play with chemicals!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    So as the title says, one of my roommates has been inquiring more and more as to how to carry, what kind of guns there are, what should he get, what's it like to carry, etc.

He works at an upscale restaurant until late night and several of his co-workers have been mugged in the past few months since they usually are leaving with a nice chunk of change in their pockets. He thinks that because he rides his bike he's a little bit safer but I pointed him towards the story of the man who was attacked on his bike and shot his attackers, that seemed to change his mind a bit. I also reminded him that he could get blindsided by someone while he was walking to/unlocking his bike.

So I told him before he even thinks about carrying, he should come with me next time he can when I go shooting. He's been shooting before and said he had a blast, but I don't know who he was with and if he received any kind of run down about gun safety maintenance, etc. I could show him proper grips, stance, which eye is his dominant and why it matters and all that fun stuff.

After that, I asked him what he was looking for in a gun. Did he want power, capacity, concealability, affordability and on and on. One thing we came to agreement on is that it has to have ambi controls since he's a lefty. Once he gets an idea of what he wants in a gun I'll point him towards a few websites with general pricing to see if that's still his thing.

Keep in mind, it's his first gun and he's a poor college student. Many of you will say that anything you're laying your life on should be best quality, but for some that isn't an immediate option. I personally started with an SR9c, traded to a P228 and traded again to the first gun that ever really caught my eye, a Lightweight Champ Operator.

I think a good starting gun would be a Sig 2022. They can be had for <$400 and are in a pretty good spot with power/capacity/size. Idk if the DAO trigger would put him off at all, but I figured a consistent trigger is good. Another concern I have for him is that he needs to have to very concealed while he's working. I don't want to suggest to him a pocket gun as a first gun, so I was thinking a smaller Kahr would fit the bill nicely as well.

I also told him about the expenses that come along with owning and carrying, explained the need for a good belt and holster, what his costs would be for practicing between ammo, range fees.

Whenever it comes around, I also told him he should tag along next time there's a gun show that I go to. He can actually handle the guns he's thinking about buying and get a good idea what it will feel like.

Have I missed any information to pass on to him? Or do you guys have an recommendations as to a decent but cheap (I'm thinking <$500 probably) gun to carry?
    Lots of folks with nice pistols in a crappy holster on a regular casual or dress belt. I was guilty of this until I came onto these forums.

Best bet is to join a range if you plan to visit a lot.

For less than $500, there are plenty of decent used options - a used Glock immediately comes to mind. For wheelguns, you can't go wrong with a used S&W .38 Special. For a new pistol, I can recommend the Bersa Thunder .380 which can be purchased for less than $300 new. It's a pretty and reliable pistol for not much money. Cleaning it is also easy.

(Cumberland County)

Less than $500? A new 3rd gen Glock, an XD, a full size M&P, a CZ PO7 Duty, and more.

The Sig 2022 is a good choice and will leave a little cash for a holster or two. There is no reason for you to avoid DA/SA, it's going to be his preference.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    I really didn't like the double/single action thing - But after 20 some years of shooting Glocks (love them) and 1911's (love them too!) I've come to appreciate and understand the place of this type of pistol. For up-close self defense/safety combination, a round loaded with a longer heavier draw for the first shot isn't a bad thing - and having subsequent shots easier makes sense to me. Especially for someone who isn't a gun-nut and won't necessarily practice all the time. The other easy to use option is a S&W DAO snub - lots of dry fire practice is good (both for the finger and smooth out the action), potent round, consistent trigger pull, and mostly idiot resistant.
    Good luck ! Hope this helps.
    Cb
    +1!

Love my 1911's, as well as my Glocks. They can both be pretty ambidextrous. Glocks are also relatively affordable, concealable, and has good capacity. Its SafeAction is almost like DAO in that you're not "cocked and locked", but it's lighter than a true DAO. On that note, I do carry a S&W snub in the winter. Like already said, DAO snubs are practically idiot proof... (OK, resistant is more correct).

I personally didn't care for Sigs, but that's just me.

The real point here is training. Don't carry without some decent REAL training. For your own safety, and at the very least, for the safety for those you do not intend to injure.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    Semi-autos require clearance drills. Be sure that he works on those as part of his training.

If he selects a semi auto HE MUST BREAK THE PISTOL IN. No exceptions. Newly minted handguns are not reliable because of machine tolerances.

He will have to train. He should be able to pass the Texas Concealed Carry shooting test with the firearm he intends to use.

Handguns are not magic talismans. They are part of an integrated defense plan. If your friend wants to take the time to shoot, to become proficient with his handgun, he should be fine.

Many employers DO NOT allow concealed carry on the job. Be sure that he buys something that he can carry on his person at all times. If he leaves a firearm in his locker he risks having it discovered while he is working.

If there is no official policy at work against concealed carry he should not ask. Better to be "outed" by an Off Duty Police Officer

In case of a Robbery at the Restaurant. He should hit the deck and hide. Being a hero is foolishness because his employer would be obligated to fire him. Otherwise his employer's insurance company would crucify him. They would rather pay for the money taken.

Now if he's lead to a walk in freezer... that's a different story.

He should think of these things before he brings a gun to work.
    Last edited by GeneCC; September 29th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Handgun? If he will not train routinely he should carry a 38 revolver, preferably in an ankle or crotch holster. Alternately the 327 Magnum might be good but he won't get one for under $500.00

If he will train than I'd recommend the Ruger LCP or one of close relatives. The 380 is a fine round for self defense with a handgun against a single assailant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast