Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Where to live, how to buy, where to shoot?

Hi. I currently live in NJ, have an NJ FID, and own NJ legal guns. It looks like I'm going to be taking a job in Allentown (on the Bethlehem side) which means that for the next year I'll be renting a home or apartment in the area and living in PA 4 days/week, coming back to NJ on the weekends. The plan is if all goes well, I'll sell my house in NJ next summer and move my family out to PA full time between school years. I have just the one son and he's 9 (4th grade) plus my wife and our labrador retreiver :P

There's already some threads here about where to move permanently based on school districts, and I'll worry about that more when I get closer to next summer but if anybody has suggestions on convenient places to live that are in the general vicinity of the Int'l Airport (but not too close), that's where I'll be looking to rent.

In the meantime, I'm wondering things like as an NJ resident (NJ drivers license) can I buy guns in PA with my PA address to keep in my rented place in PA? Can I bring my NJ guns back and forth? Can I get a ccw as an NJ resident? Do I need any kind of PA FID to buy and own?

Remember, NJ laws are very restrictive, and I'm used to that, but I don't want to make any incorrect assumptions about PA's relaxed laws and end up in an illegal situation.

Thanks!
    MC

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Where to live, how to buy, where to shoot?

I'm not familiar with the laws, so I won't attempt to answer anything concerning them. As for gun clubs near the airport, there is Guthsville Rod and Gun Club. I belonged to it a few yrs ago, but found the 20 mile drive for me too much and now shoot at Paletown Rod and Gun Club(3 miles) and Ridge and Valley Gun Club (5 miles). The only issue I had with Guthsville, was that it was pretty "busy". Always had different clubs/groups shooting there and at the time I was member, the website didn't announce them consistently and I was making too many unproductive trips up there just to turn around and go home. Glad to see you are thinking of moving out of the Peoples Republic of New Jersey and their idiotic gun laws. Remember, we here in Pennsylvania hold on to our God and our guns.

Default Re: Where to live, how to buy, where to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by MicroChip View Post
    Hi. I currently live in NJ, have an NJ FID, and own NJ legal guns. It looks like I'm going to be taking a job in Allentown (on the Bethlehem side) which means that for the next year I'll be renting a home or apartment in the area and living in PA 4 days/week, coming back to NJ on the weekends. The plan is if all goes well, I'll sell my house in NJ next summer and move my family out to PA full time between school years. I have just the one son and he's 9 (4th grade) plus my wife and our labrador retreiver :P

There's already some threads here about where to move permanently based on school districts, and I'll worry about that more when I get closer to next summer but if anybody has suggestions on convenient places to live that are in the general vicinity of the Int'l Airport (but not too close), that's where I'll be looking to rent.

In the meantime, I'm wondering things like as an NJ resident (NJ drivers license) can I buy guns in PA with my PA address to keep in my rented place in PA? Can I bring my NJ guns back and forth? Can I get a ccw as an NJ resident? Do I need any kind of PA FID to buy and own?

Remember, NJ laws are very restrictive, and I'm used to that, but I don't want to make any incorrect assumptions about PA's relaxed laws and end up in an illegal situation.

Thanks!
    MC
    I consider both Allentown and Bethlehem fairly high crime areas..Some of my friends that live in even some of the well-to-do areas of these cities have been victims of crime (robbery and assault).

There are still a few fairly rural areas to the north and south of the ABE area that are nice. The Upper Bucks County area is a good place to look into....that would give you about a 30-40 minute commute to work and put you near some good school districts. Depending on what you have to work with financially, you could get enough land that would allow you to at least shoot some handguns safely on it. Plus the sheriff is good at signing off on Class III items (just an added bonus).