Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Governator

(York County)

Default The Governator

Ever since Taurus started making the Judge revolver, I found myself in a inner conflict of thinking about how cool and how fun of a gun it would be, yet knowing I did not have a particular need that it would fulfill. Me not being a big fan of Taurus (once bitten, twice shy you know), it was easier to stave off any urges I had to purchase one of those silly toys. Besides, I don't own a 410 shotgun, and I don't have any SA six guns in .45 Long Colt, so I'd have to enter into new calibers. I even held a couple, but they never really "grabbed me". Eventually the thought faded, and I dismissed owning one altogether.

Enter the Governor. It being able to shoot .45 ACP kind of rekindled my curiosity. It being a S&W made it feasible for me to own one (never bitten, always impressed with their revolvers). Seeing them start to appear in local shops made the temptation worse. They actually look... decent. Is that a night sight? That's nice.

"could I take a look at this Governor you have over here?" "Sure!". Wow, this thing actually feels good in the hand and points really nicely. "Mind if I dry-fire it?" "No, not at all.". Okay, nice trigger... but really... What on Earth would I use it for? But it could be so much fun, and it might actually be of use in the mountains as a combination snake and personal defense weapon.

Wait, that's it... just for the hell of it! I have a reason to own every firearm I have. Having one just for the hell of it shouldn't just be for those with more dollars than sense. I'd have a ball with this. Okay, in reality I'll probably never carry it or rely on it for self defense, but it'd be a HOOT to shoot clay birds and a fun boom stick when up at the cabin with my friends.

"I'll take it."

More to follow.

Crappy pic, will take some later:
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; September 24th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: The Governator

nice... pics please
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Philadelphia County)

I view the Judge and Governor as novelties rather than serious self-defense firearms. I'd have to seriously have money burning a hole in my pocket to consider either. I believe there was a review posted on PAFAO some time back on the Judge.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    Ever since Taurus started making the Judge revolver, I found myself in a inner conflict of thinking about how cool and how fun of a gun it would be, yet knowing I did not have a particular need that it would fulfill. Me not being a big fan of Taurus (once bitten, twice shy you know), it was easier to stave off any urges I had to purchase one of those silly toys. Besides, I don't own a 410 shotgun, and I don't have any SA six guns in .45 Long Colt, so I'd have to enter into new calibers. I even held a couple, but they never really "grabbed me". Eventually the thought faded, and I dismissed owning one altogether.

Enter the Governor. It being able to shoot .45 ACP kind of rekindled my curiosity. It being a S&W made it feasible for me to own one (never bitten, always impressed with their revolvers). Seeing them start to appear in local shops made the temptation worse. They actually look... decent. Is that a night sight? That's nice.

"could I take a look at this Governor you have over here?" "Sure!". Wow, this thing actually feels good in the hand and points really nicely. "Mind if I dry-fire it?" "No, not at all.". Okay, nice trigger... but really... What on Earth would I use it for? But it could be so much fun, and it might actually be of use in the mountains as a combination snake and personal defense weapon.

Wait, that's it... just for the hell of it! I have a reason to own every firearm I have. Having one just for the hell of it shouldn't just be for those with more dollars than sense. I'd have a ball with this. Okay, in reality I'll probably never carry it or rely on it for self defense, but it'd be a HOOT to shoot clay birds and a fun boom stick when up at the cabin with my friends.

"I'll take it."

More to follow.
    Just a FYI..

Its illegal to kill snakes with a firearm. ...so, unless you are in another state that allows it or your life/limb is at risk with a substantiated threat - you cannot shoot a snake.

They are legal for hunting groundhog, deer, bear, and maybe coyote & porcupine(not sure about yotes and "pricklypigs").

I kinda view them as novelties too. But there is some possible and legitimate uses from those type of guns. The long cylinder though really messes with the visual appeal to me. They are just unsightly with such long wheels(another reason why I don't like .460 & .500 S&W revolvers too).

But, I support anyone in their personal choice of hardware. If you're happy, then I'm happy.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 24th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

That's the point... there is no legit purpose for me to own it... other than shooting the hell out of it (which will come soon enough)!

(Bucks County)

They both kind of have an early 1900's cartoonish quality about them... you know, like something from Roger Rabbit or The Mask. Always good for a chuckle.

(Schuylkill County)

Nothing wrong with buying something you want just cause you want it. Life is short enjoy it. I also run the "Man vs himself" conflict at the gun counter sometimes. More often than not I'm looking over the same firearm in my home that night.

(York County)

Another pic, with some of the stuff it eats:

(York County)

Congrats on the new hardware. They are built very well. Smith did a great job on it. I just got one in the shop.. Thought about keeping it but a few other neat items have since taken priority. So if anyone else is looking drop me a line..
    NRA LIFE, USPSA. High Rock Outfitters

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedCopper View Post
    That's the point... there is no legit purpose for me to own it... other than shooting the hell out of it (which will come soon enough)!
    If it interests you, go for it. My father in law is always commenting on "oh what do you need that gun for?" I tell him that he can buy whatever hunting rifle he wants for specific game, me I'm gonna get this M1 Garand and totally destroy lots of round pieces of paper cause that's what interests me

Congrats on the new purchase!
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast