Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default I shoot in PA, my boss shoots in NJ... which range can we shoot together?

Conundrum:

I have LTCF in PA. My boss has his NJ purchaser license thingy and shoots in NJ.

We want to shoot together, but on what side of the river would it be easier? Would it be easier for me to transport with firearm and ammo locked in the trunk, driving to NJ, or would it be easier for my boss in NJ to come to PA?

And while he's in PA, with only a purchaser license from NJ and his DL, is that all he needs to be accepted as a range guest over here?

My guess is that as long as the ammo is stored separate and the gun's in a hard case unloaded, both in the trunk, either of us could go back and forth over the river. Thoughts?

Default Re: I shoot in PA, my boss shoots in NJ... which range can we shoot together?

Your guess is correct. It's perfectly legal to travel to a range in anther state.

Default Re: I shoot in PA, my boss shoots in NJ... which range can we shoot together?

I would take turns going back and fourth between states. When you go to NJ. you shoot his guns. When he comes to Pa. he shoots your guns. I know there is some Law about stopping while traveling with your firearms. Even if you stop for Gas or to take a leak you could get locked up! While that seems trivial it is the Law and has to be taken into consideration every time you travel where the issue may arrise.

IANAL
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Jefferson County)

He is less likely to get into trouble by coming to PA than you are by going to NJ.

PA clearly allows transporting to/from and possession/carrying at a range without a license.

NJ criminalizes all possession off of one's property except for those with a NJ carry license, or their respective owner ID card, or to/from/at a very few named places. ...a range being one of them.

Since you will not have a NJ permit or owner ID, you're already having to prove you are going to/from a range. ...which if a LEO wants to be an ass, he can allow your used/unused targets fall into a river somewhere - thus hosing your defense.

I seriously recommend offering your boss a little in gas money to come to a PA range if you want to shoot with him. It'll save YOU from all sorts of possible bad things. And if you use a paid range, be sure your boss gets a receipt for range usage. That will help cover his ass.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

If his boss is bringing handguns, he is in the same position coming to PA as Arctic Splash would be going to NJ. Both of them have part of the trip in Jersey, and neither of them has anything unique to one of them to affect the handgun requirements.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    Your guess is correct. It's perfectly legal to travel to a range in anther state.
    I can't travel to a range in NY with a handgun. Unless it's sanctioned match.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    He is less likely to get into trouble by coming to PA than you are by going to NJ.

PA clearly allows transporting to/from and possession/carrying at a range without a license.

NJ criminalizes all possession off of one's property except for those with a NJ carry license, or their respective owner ID card, or to/from/at a very few named places. ...a range being one of them.

Since you will not have a NJ permit or owner ID, you're already having to prove you are going to/from a range. ...which if a LEO wants to be an ass, he can allow your used/unused targets fall into a river somewhere - thus hosing your defense.

I seriously recommend offering your boss a little in gas money to come to a PA range if you want to shoot with him. It'll save YOU from all sorts of possible bad things. And if you use a paid range, be sure your boss gets a receipt for range usage. That will help cover his ass.
    Since my boss sets my salary, I'll just make him buy me a box of ammo when he comes over here. :-)

(Bucks County)

Plenty of NJ folks shoot at Wicen's. $15 each for the whole day. You can leave, go to lunch, come back, go to Tanner's come back. Some local lunch places even deliver there. If he doesn't have an PA LTCF or something reciprocal he needs to carry the gun cased in the car, with the ammo in a separate "container." Like just not in the case.

I think the first time check-out fee is 8 bucks for each of the three ranges when you first shoot there (i.e., shotgun, pistol, rifle).

You can shoot rimfire rifles on the pistol range for a bit of comic relief. And they let you scatter clays around on the berm and shoot 'em.

Much fun. Super-safe. RSOs are good guys, like our own Metz.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gascolator View Post
    Plenty of NJ folks shoot at Wicen's. $15 each for the whole day. You can leave, go to lunch, come back, go to Tanner's come back. Some local lunch places even deliver there. If he doesn't have an PA LTCF or something reciprocal he needs to carry the gun cased in the car, with the ammo in a separate "container." Like just not in the case.
    No! No! No! and No!

Without a LTCF or equivalent, transport cased and unloaded, with ammo separate, is legal ONLY DIRECTLY BETWEEN HOME, RANGE, GUNSHOP/GUNSMITH. There is no go out for lunch provision!
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

The first question is, handguns or long guns?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast