Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default FYI stupid cheap shotgun shells

I went to dicks today with there sale flyer. When i walked out the door i ended up paying 5.24 per box, second box 50% off. This is for Remington Gun Club or Game loads in 12, 16 and 20 gauge. I got a mix of 9,8,7.5 and 6 shot in loads varying from 7/8 oz (20 gauge) to 1oz and 1.125 oz in 12 gauge.

Ends up being right at 4.16$ a box. I bought everything they had in altoona, and went to dunhams to price match and cleaned them out too for the most part. Dunhams would only price match boxes, and they wouldn't open sealed cases so i had to leave all the cases on the shelves.

If you want a good deal on shotgun shells this is it. 41.60 with tax for a flat. This is significantly better then the pricing you get by buying an entire skid (128 cases) from a distributor.
    I can take an assbeating like its nobodys business" - Doug Bryant

(Pike County)

Default Re: FYI stupid cheap shotgun shells

That's the problem with Dick's - the first guy in with money to spend gets all the goodies! No matter how good the deal is, if I can't actually BUY any it is a waste of a trip ;->

Quote Originally Posted by PAallterrain View Post
    I went to dicks today with there sale flyer. When i walked out the door i ended up paying 5.24 per box, second box 50% off. This is for Remington Gun Club or Game loads in 12, 16 and 20 gauge. I got a mix of 9,8,7.5 and 6 shot in loads varying from 7/8 oz (20 gauge) to 1oz and 1.125 oz in 12 gauge.

Ends up being right at 4.16$ a box. I bought everything they had in altoona, and went to dunhams to price match and cleaned them out too for the most part. Dunhams would only price match boxes, and they wouldn't open sealed cases so i had to leave all the cases on the shelves.

If you want a good deal on shotgun shells this is it. 41.60 with tax for a flat. This is significantly better then the pricing you get by buying an entire skid (128 cases) from a distributor.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks! I'm gonna go stock up today (if I still can)!

(Franklin County)

16 ga too?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    Shoot what you like, like what you shoot.Own what you like, like what you own.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    That's the problem with Dick's - the first guy in with money to spend gets all the goodies! No matter how good the deal is, if I can't actually BUY any it is a waste of a trip ;->
    I understand what your saying but don't agree with it. It should be first person with money gets it. Its not like you can't get it. Dunhams still had some on the shelves when i left and there are several Dicks and Dunhams in the state, i am sure if you really want shotgun shells you can go get some at this price. If they would of told me there was a 10 box limit it would of kind of killed the deal, saving 10$ is great, but when it costs 6$ in fuel to get there and wastes 45 min of your day, the point kind of becomes mute. Instead i wasted about 2 hours, and saved 275$. That was worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by leplat View Post
    16 ga too?!
    I don't exactly remember about dicks, but dunhams definatly had them because i grabbed a bunch by mistake and put them back. Just walk in with the sale flyer which is in todays paper too, and they will price match.

(Allegheny County)

OK, now I am upset.

The flyer clearly states the ammo is on sale from 6.99/box to 5.48/box, and it says "buy one get one 50% off". Nowhere on the flyer does it say "Buy one get one 50% off regular price" or "buy one get one 50% off, or $5.48 each".

At the Waterfront Dick's the refused to sell it to me at $5.48/box, BOGO-50%off. The said "There's NO WAY" that it would be on sale prices and BOGO-50%off. And that "the price would be $5.48 if you only buy 1 box" So they charged me $5.24 per box (as supposed to $4.11/box, if it is $5.48 BOGO-50%off).

It doens't make sense that they would have a discounted price for ONE box, if it's a BOGO-xx deal.

The flyer clearly states: (when you roll your mouse over the online flier)
    REMINGTON GAME LOADS
    OR GUN CLUB SHOT SHELLS

$5.48 EACH

12 OR 20 GA.
    BOX OF 25
    BUY ONE GET ONE 50% OFF

On their website, it also says:
    REMINGTON GAME LOADS OR GUN CLUB SHOT SHELLS
    BUY ONE GET ONE 50% OFF
    $5.48 EACH
    (REG $6.99 EACH)
    thru Sep 29
    12 OR 20 GA.
    BOX OF 25

All the while, it took me 20 minutes and 3 sales people to attempt to check me out, because they were too confused (and/or incompetent?) to do so by themselves. Did anyone else go shop this sale from Dick's and get a different price?

Oh, and they limited me to 20 boxes (per person max). Luckily my wife was with me, and we got 40.

If nothing else, I'd call that false advertising.

(Allegheny County)

Oh, and when I told them, I've heard other people shopping this same sale this week, at another Dick's location, and got the sale price AND BOGO-50%off, they had 2 things to say:

1) "well, who are the 'other people'" (in a rude and inquisitive manner), and
    2) "well, someone is doing something they're not supposed to".

And all the while, one of the three people checking me out was the store manager.

(Pike County)

Um, where did I say the first person in shouldn't get the deal? My comment had nothing at all to do with the buyer. But, in case I'm not making myself clear, my point is that (for me) driving around to try to take advantage of a Dick's or Cabela's sale is a waste of time - half the time they will be out of stock, and the other half they won't have enough product to make the trip really worth the trouble. I suppose if you live close enough to just drop in whenever the mood strikes, YMMV, but I don't. Figure $15-20 in gas - I gotta buy a lot of stuff to break even.

Oh, and "there are several Dicks and Dunhams in the state"? Really? A state-wide road trip to buy shotgun shells?

ETA - I order in case lots, direct to my door, from whichever vendor has the best deal. Last time around it was Brownell's - Winchesters for less than $5/box, free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by PAallterrain View Post
    I understand what your saying but don't agree with it. It should be first person with money gets it. Its not like you can't get it. Dunhams still had some on the shelves when i left and there are several Dicks and Dunhams in the state, i am sure if you really want shotgun shells you can go get some at this price. If they would of told me there was a 10 box limit it would of kind of killed the deal, saving 10$ is great, but when it costs 6$ in fuel to get there and wastes 45 min of your day, the point kind of becomes mute. Instead i wasted about 2 hours, and saved 275$. That was worth the trip.

I don't exactly remember about dicks, but dunhams definatly had them because i grabbed a bunch by mistake and put them back. Just walk in with the sale flyer which is in todays paper too, and they will price match.
    Last edited by RobW; September 24th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post
    Oh, and when I told them, I've heard other people shopping this same sale this week, at another Dick's location, and got the sale price AND BOGO-50%off, they had 2 things to say:

1) "well, who are the 'other people'" (in a rude and inquisitive manner), and
    2) "well, someone is doing something they're not supposed to".

And all the while, one of the three people checking me out was the store manager.
    That sucks man. I don't personally know anyone else who got this deal. I told a couple guys but don't know if they made it in or not.

(Indiana County)

That's the problem with Dick's, there plenty of them working there.

I stopped in the one in Altoona exactly once when I was in town for a Dr. appt.

Half the stuff on the shelves in the gun dept had no price tags, the half that did was grossly overpriced and to find someone to help you was like pulling hens teeth, and when you did find one they acted pissed that you would actually bother them to look up a price.

Lucky for me if I don't mind a short wait, a friend of mine is a small dealer and when he places orders I can get most stuff at cost.
    No driving around wasting gas only to find that a guy showed up when the store opened and cleaned it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast